How to turn off P4 VPS?
3161 23 2016-3-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Thacyoon
lvl.2

Norway

Hello all,

How do I turn off the VPS? The vertical altitude measuring cameras/sonars under the P4? I can't find the option in the app to turn this off, I do find the Obstacle Avoidance system (the two front facing cameras) - but I can't find any options for the VPS.

Before you ask why I want to do that: When I fly over water, snow, glass roof, and when landing on my (green 'grass') terrase carpet. Ohh, and I would also like to see if it is the VPS causing my P4 to drop in altitude (1-2 meters) every time I let go of the stick. It stops, hover while descending 1-2 meters...then stabilize in a perfect hover (but lost 1-2 meter altitude).
2016-3-22
Use props
boxerman
lvl.4
Flight distance : 39695 ft
United States

This forum has a powerful search feature.  Use it.
2016-3-22
Use props
Thacyoon
lvl.2

Norway

boxerman Posted at 2016-3-22 16:25
This forum has a powerful search feature.  Use it.

Smart ass reply, uhh? Several previous posts have asked this question, no answers. Perhaps a DJI moderator need to answer this. Boxerman, if you don't want to help, don't click the reply button.  
2016-3-22
Use props
boxerman
lvl.4
Flight distance : 39695 ft
United States

Thacyoon Posted at 2016-3-22 12:04
Smart ass reply, uhh? Several previous posts have asked this question, no answers. Perhaps a DJI m ...

Ok.                        

2016-3-22
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

With the P4 there is no ON/OFF switch of the VPS. In P and S mode it is on, in ATTI mode the VPS only detects altitude and there's no position hold.
And the P4 should not drop in altitude when you let go of the stick.
Do a IMU and compass calibration (flat surface) and see if it still persists.
2016-3-22
Use props
Thacyoon
lvl.2

Norway

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-3-22 18:42
With the P4 there is no ON/OFF switch of the VPS. In P and S mode it is on, in ATTI mode the VPS onl ...

Thanks for the reply. Won't the VPS system be confused when flying low over water or snow? Regarding altitude drop have many P4 owners reported this. There are several posts/threads at Phantom Pilots regarding this. Yes I have calibrated the IMU's on a perfectly level surface, including gimbal and compass (at flying location)
2016-3-22
Use props
waynepj3
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

I raised this issue as well. The loss of altitude when stopping is highly annoying and may result in inadvertent crashes. It makes low altitude flying a bit dicey..

Also, the Object Avoidance stopping distance to objects is extremely close..makes me uncomfortable.

The DJI engineers hopped on the thread and said they are looking into it. Hopefully the loss of altitude issue will be addressed in the next firmware update.
2016-3-22
Use props
Thacyoon
lvl.2

Norway

microcyb Posted at 2016-3-22 19:39
Well, Flying low will be an issue, but water should not be a concern since it is a flat surface are ...

Your post and fancy images describe the Object Avoidance system. Sorry, but please, I am talking about the VPS.
2016-3-22
Use props
Thacyoon
lvl.2

Norway

waynepj3@gmail. Posted at 2016-3-22 19:47
I raised this issue as well. The loss of altitude when stopping is highly annoying and may result in ...

Right, you know what this is, thanks.
2016-3-22
Use props
Thacyoon
lvl.2

Norway

microcyb Posted at 2016-3-22 19:54
Doubt they can correct low flying without having to set a limiter.  The lower you go, the more the ...

Sorry, your arguments make no sence...
2016-3-22
Use props
stussyredhat
lvl.1

United States

I am seeing the same issue you are. Tonight I did a IMU calibration and a sensor calibration in the assistant app. I am hoping that takes care of the issue I will post results tomorrow.
2016-3-22
Use props
Thacyoon
lvl.2

Norway

stussyredhat@st Posted at 2016-3-23 06:22
I am seeing the same issue you are. Tonight I did a IMU calibration and a sensor calibration in the  ...

Ok, thanks man
2016-3-23
Use props
stussyredhat
lvl.1

United States

Well it made a big difference!!! I had no drop at all after doing the calibration in the assistant app!
2016-3-23
Use props
Thacyoon
lvl.2

Norway

stussyredhat@st Posted at 2016-3-23 20:15
Well it made a big difference!!! I had no drop at all after doing the calibration in the assistant a ...

Ok, thanks for the feedback. I have tried several IMU calibrations on a perfectly level surface...but no joy
2016-3-29
Use props
Khan
lvl.1

Canada

I've done a cold IMU calibration and still having the altitude drop when the stick is released. Very annoying and if im not correcting immediately, I can see it causing a crash when flying low altitudes. But when it does hover, she's rock solid so I'm thinking it has something to do with the firmware. Hopefully it will be resolved before a crash.
2016-3-29
Use props
BouldersDad
lvl.3
Flight distance : 872448 ft
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-3-22 13:42
With the P4 there is no ON/OFF switch of the VPS. In P and S mode it is on, in ATTI mode the VPS onl ...

I seem to remember seeing several people advise turning off VPS when flying over water, snow, or anything else that has no discernible pattern. That was several months ago, with regard to the P3A/P.
I believe that this was in response to someone complaining about a lack of control/ loss issue when flying over water.
Since my P3S had no VPS, I didn't really pay much attention at the time.
The P4 manual mentions that in these situations VPS does not function properly, which is understandable. However, will the fact that it does not function properly in these situations adversely affect control when flying low over water?
2016-3-29
Use props
david.p.mann
Second Officer
Flight distance : 18669501 ft
  • >>>
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-3-22 12:42

DJI-Ken,

Could you also look into the issue I reported on in a separate thread about the P4 not adjusting its altitude up and down (closely tracking vhanges in ground elevation) when flying low (in VPS range) over uneven ground?  My P3Pro does this, but my P4 does not, which makes flying low much riskier.
2016-3-29
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

david.p.mann@ea Posted at 2016-3-30 00:33
DJI-Ken,

Could you also look into the issue I reported on in a separate thread about the P4 not a ...

This is how the system operates and tells it's limitations.
if you are experiencing issues and it is not described in the screen shot, then I can have someone contact you and you can send the uint in.
P4 VPS.png
2016-3-29
Use props
TK-421
Banned

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2016-3-29
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

TK-421 Posted at 2016-3-30 01:08
Ken, I'm pretty sure you can't answer this, but have you heard any word on whether or not we'll be ...

I have sent an email to HQ inquiring about it.
2016-3-29
Use props
sprinta
New

Germany

So , until we are not able to turn the VPS off, we are not able to fly safely above water or reflective surfaces with the P4 ?

Thats a real disadvantage compared to the P3A/P !
2016-3-29
Use props
bogdanphoto
lvl.2
Flight distance : 4126444 ft
  • >>>
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-3-29 10:40
if you are experiencing issues and it i ...

So basically you can only fly over water 10 meters above it in GPS mode or switch to ATTI mode now? That's ridiculous. It stops for bison, but can't fly over water??
2016-3-29
Use props
david.p.mann
Second Officer
Flight distance : 18669501 ft
  • >>>
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-3-29 11:40
if you are experiencing issues and it i ...

DJI-Ken,

I'm sorry - I guess I'm not making myself clear.  The VPS system on my P4 is working at low flight levels.  It is accurately and continuously reporting the distance between the bottom of the P4 and the ground.  It is the flight control logic on the P4 that is behaving differently than on my P3Prol.  At low levels (<10 feet above ground level), if I fly over a small valley (e.g., a ditch), the P3Pro will maintain it distance from the ground as I fly slowly over the ditch - the P3Pro will descend as it flys over the downhill side of the ditch and then it will ascend as it flys over the uphill side of the ditch keeping the distance between the P3Pro and the ground constant.  On my P4, when I fly over the same ditch, the P4 does not descend when flying over the downhill side of the ditch nor will it ascend as it flys over the uphill side of the ditch.  Instead, the P4 stays at exactly at the same barometric altitude.  Similarly, if the P3Pro is 2 feet above the ground and then flys slowly over a mound of dirt two feet high in the center, the P3Pro will increase its altitude automatically until it is 4 feet high when directly over the peak of the mound (thus, maintaining a two foot distance between the P3Pro and the ground at all times.  My P4, on the other hand, will not change its height and will barely clear the mound (or run into it) if obstacle avoidance is turned OFF.  If obstacle avoidance is turned ON, the P4 will usually stop before hitting the mound, which is great.  However, I would prefer that the P4 change its altitude in response to changes in ground elevation like my P3Pro does, especially when Obstacle Avoidance is turned OFF.

Was this change in flight behavior of the P4 vs. the P3Pro during low level flight when VPS system is functional an intentional change?

Am I making myself clear now?
2016-3-29
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>

david.p.mann@ea Posted at 2016-3-30 08:56
DJI-Ken,

I'm sorry - I guess I'm not making myself clear.  The VPS system on my P4 is working at  ...

OK, I see exactly now.
I'll send an email and see what they say.
2016-3-29
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules