o(^-^)o
jon.godfrey
lvl.3

United Kingdom

Yes, up to 2 hours!!!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-35890486

Hydrogen-powered drone takes flight  
5 hours ago

BBC Click's Jen Copestake has been given exclusive access to the test flights of a drone powered by a hydrogen fuel cell.
     Intelligent Energy's fuel  cell can power a modified drone for up to two hours - about six times  longer than the average with a normal battery.
Refuelling with compressed hydrogen takes a few minutes compared to recharging a battery.
The  company sees its drones being primarily used in industry for  agriculture and oil and gas mapping, before being offered as a consumer  product.
Intelligent Energy expects to have the fuel cells ready for commercial use in the next year.

2016-3-25
Use props
jon.godfrey
lvl.3

United Kingdom

It will be great to ditch DJI's short life exspensive batteries.  One of min failed after two flights and 7 charges!!! DJI said - sorry it's (jus) over six months old!!!  Great... thanks DJI!!! :@
2016-3-25
Use props
ryan209
lvl.3

United States

I do look forward to the day with longer flight times.  Although,  only charging it 7 times with 2 flights in over 6 months doesn't really sound like the ideal way to care for a Li-Po battery.  Maybe if you had followed some of the best practices your battery would still be working and not have to try and shift the blame somewhere else.
2016-3-25
Use props
Nink
lvl.2

Canada

What a great idea, take a highly explosive gas like Hydrogen, strap it to a drone and then hand it to a consumer learning how to fly.  What could possibly go wrong ?
2016-3-25
Use props
sidtx
lvl.4
Flight distance : 266729 ft
United States

Nink Posted at 2016-3-25 13:57
What a great idea, take a highly explosive gas like Hydrogen, strap it to a drone and then hand it t ...

Hydrogen gets a bad rap.   It's actually less explosive than Gasoline.

Imagine the explosion if the Hindenburg had been filled with Petrol!!

And, in my opinion,  Hydrogen is probably safer than batteries anyway.  

Sid
2016-3-25
Use props
Old Geezer
lvl.3
Flight distance : 23691 ft
United Kingdom

sidtx Posted at 2016-3-25 18:36
Hydrogen gets a bad rap.   It's actually less explosive than Gasoline.

Imagine the explosion if t ...

A can of hydrogen hitting you on the head probably wouldn't hurt as much as a LiPo falling from 500 feet above you
2016-3-25
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

jon.godfrey Posted at 2016-3-26 02:42
It will be great to ditch DJI's short life exspensive batteries.  One of min failed after two fligh ...

If you think DJI batteries are expensive, I suspect they would be small change compared to what this fuel cell technology costs.
2016-3-25
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

A 2 hour flight time is about 1 hour and 50 minutes longer than my attention span.
2016-3-25
Use props
jon.godfrey
lvl.3

United Kingdom

ryan209 Posted at 2016-3-25 16:47
I do look forward to the day with longer flight times.  Although,  only charging it 7 times with 2 f ...

I followed the instructions Ryan.  Thing is my other batteries are fine and I kept them in a charge cycle.   I did follow the instructions.  We are charged a high price for so called intelligent batteries but that’s rubbish.  In the UK this winter it’s been raining pretty much all year so there’s been little chance for flights.  I’ve cycled the batteries but this one has a faulty cell.  DJI have just said tough s**t it’s over six months.  I hope you have more luck.
2016-3-27
Use props
jon.godfrey
lvl.3

United Kingdom

labroides@yahoo Posted at 2016-3-25 23:12
If you think DJI batteries are expensive, I suspect they would be small change compared to what th ...

very true... they don't discuss price.  I'd imaging the market for this tech is Police and first responders
2016-3-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules