PC Specs working with 4K
789 8 2016-3-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Nink
lvl.2

Canada

Wondering what hardware and software people are using to render and edit their videos in 4k.  CPU GPU's Monitors etc

2016-3-26
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>

You need some serious processing power to edit 4k, I'm not a computer guy so as far as specs someone else will have t chime in.
I have a 2011 Macbook Pro and it wouldn't even play 4k. I installed 16gb or RAM and a 500gb SSD drive and it will do it now but just barely.
2016-3-26
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

I have a computer that I only use for editing, it uses an i7 processor with 6 cores, 32GB of fast RAM, GTX-570 GPU, water cooling, and is equipped with all SSD drives. It is a few years old now, but the main thing you need is a fast processor and SSD drives. The GPU is not all that important, as many editing programs do not use them properly.
I mostly work with Blackmagic Resolve for grading, and edit using Sony Vegas Pro.
2016-3-26
Use props
Nink
lvl.2

Canada

Geebax Posted at 2016-3-26 19:20
I have a computer that I only use for editing, it uses an i7 processor with 6 cores, 32GB of fast RA ...

Thanks Geebax I have a couple of AMD Radeon 6900 my kid was using for PC gaming and I put one in my bench PC i7 8 core  but only had a SATA drive and 4GB of RAM.  The video file was only 2GB I was working with and the display was really choppy so I wasn't sure where I should be focusing.  I will throw an SSD drive in it and some RAM.  32GB of RAM is pretty pricey though... I may try SLI or crossfire with the 6900  and use display port on TV although I think I am going to need a buy a 4K monitor as well so I can see what the finished output will look like.

Is anyone using some type of off the shelf 4K editing appliance that is optimized and preconfigured HW / SW for working with 4K video.  The hack a PC together is a good idea for people who are comfortable doing this but probably more expensive than a special purpose appliance and you wouldn't need that skill set.  Would be nice if DJI or Apple could recommend or even sell one.  <$1000 would be a good price point.
2016-3-27
Use props
Bhujang
lvl.4
Flight distance : 534587 ft
United Kingdom

im still using a i3 processor 3225 @ 3.30 GHz with 16gb ram in windows 10. It just about handles it ok so anything above that should be fine. I will update soon as possible as sometimes the playback is laggy. If I restart it then its ok. Also edited ok using windows movie maker but adobe pro seems to suffer under this spec.
2016-3-27
Use props
Nink
lvl.2

Canada

I just tried my Wifes HP envy laptop.  Nice laptop and she only uses it for Word and Power point :-)  i7 8 core 2Ghz , 16 GB Ram, very smooth when playing and editing video but could only output 4K at 24hz (Old HDMI spec)  so it sounds like 16GB + RAM and 6- 8 core CPU is key although if it can't output 4K at 60hz I think that is also a challenge.   I haven't tried any large files yet.  Going for a flight today so will try and shoot until battery runs out and see how it goes.  
2016-3-27
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Nink Posted at 2016-3-28 00:20
Thanks Geebax I have a couple of AMD Radeon 6900 my kid was using for PC gaming and I put one in m ...

The use of GPUs is problematic, some programs make use of them, some don't, they they will argue over which GPU architecture is compatible or not. The most important factor I find are a fast processor and SSD drives.

I have a ASUS Pro monitor, it does a good job of displaying the material, but in truth I don't care much about 4K anyway. I can't use 4K directly, there is no real release format for it, so I simply post-produce my footage as far as I can go in 4K then downscale it to 1080p for final finishing.

If you want an all-in-one solution, probably the best route is to buy a Mac Pro, they might be expensive, but they are designed from the ground up to handle 4K, and they do it well.

2016-3-27
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

As an aside try using a different player, I've seen an instance where the standard windows media player struggles on my Surface pro 3 (i5 @ 2.5 GHz, 4GB RAM) with lumpy playback of 4k files, but the 'films & TV ' App' in windows 10 on same machine gives super smooth playback.
2016-3-27
Use props
oks4n4
lvl.2

Indonesia

Im using Windows 10's Movies & TV app, it runs 4K very smoothly...
2016-3-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules