P4 Range Test & Results, versus P3A
798 6 2016-3-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djiphantom3xx
lvl.2

Canada

EDIT: Found out if I 'really' fiddle with the attenaes, have a super clear line of sight (like totally flat land), then I can get a longer range.

Thanks!
2016-3-27
Use props
medicdanderson
lvl.2

United States

I have read in a couple other posts that you should also do the following in order to get better range:
1) take your P4 out of sport mode. Turn off obstacle avoidance to achieve the 35+ MPH vs. the 20 MPH but continue to use the "P" mode rather than "S" mode.
2) Position your antennas correctly. Perpendicular to the ground, not parallel to the ground (straight up in the air with the wide end facing the P4.)

I think you hit it on the head with getting as high as you can and choosing a manual channel with the lowest transmission setting. I was able to initially fly about 1,000 feet further just by exiting sport mode. I am currently charging my battery and will be out to test the antenna position soon.
2016-3-27
Use props
djiphantom3xx
lvl.2

Canada

1. I tested in and out of sport mode. Couldn't get farther range.
2. I did position the attenaes that way (in fact, tried a number of variations). Could not get any farther range other than about 100m by fiddling around with them for the 'perfect' alignment.
2016-3-27
Use props
medicdanderson
lvl.2

United States

Interesting. I had yet to try the antenna position and got to get it out and try it. With the antennas positioned the "proper" way, I got roughly 5,000 more feet (about 1500 meters or almost a mile) which was absolutely unbelievable. I got a total of just over 9,000 feet or 1.75 miles before I lost the RC connection. I am in a pretty populated area, taking off from a large fire station with a lot of interference and a large cell tower right next door. I was impressed.
2016-3-27
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>

Range test of the P4
Here is a AirShou screen capture of a 5000m flight. It has been edited for time. Note that when the Phantom reaches over 5000m the RTH point is well behind the the battery's remain capacity. This required returning in Sport mode. The craft did make it back but did not catch up to the RTH point until about 500m from the HP.

2016-3-27
Use props
wklaehn
lvl.1

United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-3-27 21:44
Range test of the P4
Here is a AirShou screen capture of a 5000m flight. It has been edited for time ...

THAT GUY IS NUTS!!! That is way too far out over water for my gut lol. Been planning a 3.5 mile Island hop, fly from land to an island and back...at least if I know I wont make it back I can land on the island lol. He is just SOL....
2016-3-29
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

wklaehn Posted at 2016-3-29 16:49
THAT GUY IS NUTS!!! That is way too far out over water for my gut lol. Been planning a 3.5 mile Is ...

This was a range test to prove the range of the P4, not to worry about if it landed in the water.
2016-3-29
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules