now I want FPV
3720 31 2015-1-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
TXWally
lvl.1

United States

Well, the Mrs, and my son got me a Phantom 2 with the h3-3d gimbal. I'm a Happy Boy.
I've been having a lot of fun with this, but now my son (and I) want FPV.
I understand I can just get a transmitter, and receiver (same frequency), to get the signal down, but am missing the step to get it to my android phone, or tablet.  
I've read a few threads, and added the Black Pearl all in one combo to my wish list, but I'm wondering if there is a less expensive option. I'm hoping to save some money by using a screen I already have.

Oh, and I don't mind soldering.
TIA,

2015-1-12
Use props
markus2015
lvl.4

Germany

Hi,

Sory, you can't use your phone. The transmitters run on analog signals, you will need a FPV monitor.
2015-1-12
Use props
TXWally
lvl.1

United States

OK, guess it's going to be a wait.

2015-1-12
Use props
birdfolk5555
lvl.3

United States

I thought FPV meant special goggles---that would give you an image from Phantom as if you were strapped to its belly...?
I didn't see any goggles on the link you posted---so what the hell is FPV and how is it any different from what I see with my Phantom 2 and smartphone? Please answer, as I really would like to know.
2015-1-12
Use props
Daninho
lvl.4
Flight distance : 70203 ft
Germany

birdfolk5555 Posted at 2015-1-13 05:47
I thought FPV meant special goggles---that would give you an image from Phantom as if you were strap ...

It means just first person view, you can use a monitor or goggles. Googles give a better first person feeling but a monitor still offers the first person view in the end. Its like the pilots view if you were a tiny midget
2015-1-12
Use props
birdfolk5555
lvl.3

United States

I still don't understand the difference between FPV and the setup I have---just a standard smartphone and the standard wifi connection. If you're not using goggles, what is it you will be gaining by adding FPV?  What is the big draw?
2015-1-12
Use props
gnixon2015
lvl.4

United States

i thought fpv just meant you can see what the drone is currently doing via wifi (whether with fancy goggles or with an ipad/iphone) where non-fpv meant that you turn the camera on, fly the drone, and have no idea what is actually being recorded until after the drone lands and you dload the video.  is that not true?  
2015-1-12
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

All FPV is like a smurf sitting in the Phantom and seeing it bank over when you turn.  Turning on FPV locks in the camera to bank with the Phantom and the camera will not stay level, it will bank with the Phantom.  The same as you would dodge these #%#$@! big snowflakes I've been getting here for the last 2 weeks steady.
2015-1-12
Use props
birdfolk5555
lvl.3

United States

Are you saying you control the Phantom's direction, speed and height simply by holding the tablet in front of you and tilting it in various directions?  Because THAT might be cool...  Otherwise, what you're describing doesn't seem that awesome.
Maybe post a video---showing the differences.
2015-1-12
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

birdfolk5555 Posted at 2015-1-13 09:03
Are you saying you control the Phantom's direction, speed and height simply by holding the tablet in ...

When you open the DJI app on your phone or tablet, select settings and scroll down to "FPV VIEW
  turn that ON and then go flying.  Your camera will not stay level when you make turns.  You would see what a pilot sees if you were sitting in the seat.  That is FPV (first person view)/
2015-1-12
Use props
Daninho
lvl.4
Germany

birdfolk5555 Posted at 2015-1-13 09:03
Are you saying you control the Phantom's direction, speed and height simply by holding the tablet in ...

no, you control the phantom with the normal controller, i would not want the tablet and its gyrosensor as my remote controller, thats like an AR.Drone gadget and not very precise. FPV is the live video feed from the copter, the first person view or cockpit view. Your stick commands are always 1:1, right stick movement means always going to the right, never inverted like in the "normal" external ground view when the craft comes towards you. You can fly the copter just by watching the screen and this gives you the feeling and impression of sitting in the cockpit. Its like the best video game ever and with goggles its even better but always take a person with you as a spotter. Another thing, the Phantom is a multicopter designed for filming as all multicopters and without FPV you cant frame your shots, the result would be awful footage.  For just flying around you could buy a cheap model plane or one of those smaller mini lightweight multicopters, no need for a Phantom H3-3D. Another thing is the low latency you need for FPV, thats why i prefer analog FPV and not the phantom vision series with the digital video feed. I also forgot to mention that an on screen display for live telemetry is also very important

If you are using a smartphone as an FPV monitor with your Phantom2 vision(+) you already have "FPV". When you just put a gopro under the phantom1 and connect it directly to the gopro App you will have some sort of ultra slow FPV and a fly away
I guess you dont know that the Phantom2 is available as the "Vision(+)" and normal P2 without FPV and camera. The normal P2 can be upgraded or modded with analog 5.8GHZ FPV, the vision models already have a digital 2.4GHZ video stream with smartphone app. Both versions have its downsides, i prefer the analog way
2015-1-12
Use props
isaiahbrock7
lvl.3
Flight distance : 98934 ft
United States

markus2015 Posted at 2015-1-13 03:03
Hi,

Sory, you can't use your phone. The transmitters run on analog signals, you will need a FPV mon ...

so your saying you can only use your phone for the Vision and Vision+? and u cant use your phone on the H3-3D?
2015-1-13
Use props
gnixon2015
lvl.4

United States

i think so yes
2015-1-13
Use props
johnwarr
First Officer
Flight distance : 6467 ft
United Kingdom

The Vision app is only for the Vision Phantoms, for the Phantom 2 and H3-3D you need to add a FPV setup including a monitor.
2015-1-13
Use props
markus2015
lvl.4

Germany

isaiahbrock7@gm Posted at 2015-1-14 01:31
so your saying you can only use your phone for the Vision and Vision+? and u cant use your phone o ...

Yeah, the Vision uses digital signals (wifi) for connecting FPV. You could use the GoPro App to stream the video directly form the camera to your phone, but it would be painfully slow, the range would not be too good but most importantly, if you've got a phantom (non vision) the radio transmitter will opperate on 2.4 MHz, just like wifi. This will probably cause interference and you could lose your phantom in a flyaway or crash.
2015-1-13
Use props
markus2015
lvl.4

Germany

isaiahbrock7@gm Posted at 2015-1-14 01:31
so your saying you can only use your phone for the Vision and Vision+? and u cant use your phone o ...
Sorry for the double post, either my PC is having a fit, or the forum?

Yeah, the Vision uses digital signals (wifi) for connecting FPV. You could use the GoPro App to stream the video directly form the camera to your phone, but it would be painfully slow, the range would not be too good but most importantly, if you've got a phantom (non vision) the radio transmitter will opperate on 2.4 MHz, just like wifi. This will probably cause interference and you could lose your phantom in a flyaway or crash.
2015-1-13
Use props
isaiahbrock7
lvl.3
United States

crap! how much is a decent monitor? or which one do you recommend?
2015-1-13
Use props
johnwarr
First Officer
United Kingdom

I recommend a Vision +
Or you could look at the link in the opening post for the Black Pearl setup which a lot of people seem to use.
2015-1-13
Use props
markus2015
lvl.4

Germany

I've got the Black Pearl 7-Channel 7" HD Screen FPV Diversity Rx 5.8GHz slim design with integrated battery and receiver (32-Channel won't work with my immersionRC transmitter). It costs roughly 300 $. I'm very pleased with this one.
2015-1-13
Use props
TXWally
lvl.1

United States

Thanks all. I was hoping that there was an add-on to utilize the vision app, but alas........ Looks like I'll eventually end up with a 7" monitor.
Thanks for the heads up on not using the WiFi from the hero3 soI don't have a fly-away

2015-1-13
Use props
johnwarr
First Officer
United Kingdom

There is an add-on for the vision app, its called a P2 Vision or Vision +
The P2 H3-3D with a good FPV setup is still a great machine.
2015-1-13
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

TXWally Posted at 2015-1-14 02:51
Thanks all. I was hoping that there was an add-on to utilize the vision app, but alas........ Looks  ...

The APP works with Apple Ipad tablet 10.1"
2015-1-13
Use props
TXWally
lvl.1

United States

Gerry1124 Posted at 2015-1-14 02:58
The APP works with Apple Ipad tablet 10.1"

so....... turn on Wifi on the Hero3, and install app on my son's IPad? Sorry if this is a dense question. Excited at prospect of FPV without extra 300

2015-1-13
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

I have installed the APP on my ipad.  You need an IOS on the IPAD of minimum 6.1  Generation ipad 2 or higher
My transmitter setup.jpg
2015-1-13
Use props
TXWally
lvl.1

United States

Hmmm, no drooling smilie, {:3_46:}
Got that that covered. it's an Ipad2, and I'm pretty sure he's past 6.1
Will post more tomorrow.
Thanks

2015-1-13
Use props
Daninho
lvl.4
Germany

TXWally Posted at 2015-1-14 03:01
so....... turn on Wifi on the Hero3, and install app on my son's IPad? Sorry if this is a dense que ...

This will result in a freaked out phantom because both remote Controller and GoPro are on 2.4ghz. You have to turn off the wifi permanently in the GoPro menu if you plan to use it with the phantom
2015-1-13
Use props
johnwarr
First Officer
United Kingdom

Gerry, he has a NON Vision Phantom, stop teasing him with the app...lol
2015-1-13
Use props
TXWally
lvl.1

United States

:@
2015-1-14
Use props
thedailydrone
New

United States

markus2015 Posted at 2015-1-14 01:57
I've got the Black Pearl 7-Channel 7" HD Screen FPV Diversity Rx 5.8GHz slim design with integrated  ...

Did you need to install the receiver from the ALV58 fpv system to the monitor since it already had on built in?
I just set up my FPV ALV58 system. Put the transmitter on the drone of course, all wired up.
Now about to see if picture is working. Do I need to hook up the receiver that goes with that transmitter?
I ask because my monitor also has a built in 5.8ghz receiver built in.
2015-1-15
Use props
thedailydrone
New

United States

TXWally Posted at 2015-1-14 03:01
so....... turn on Wifi on the Hero3, and install app on my son's IPad? Sorry if this is a dense que ...

If you do not have the phantom vision, you CANNOT USE WIFI on the go pro. It will interfere.
For example, I just purchased the phantom 2 and I had to purchase an FPV system for that reason.
THe 300 all in one kit with monitor is pretty cheap. I put my own package together with a better monitor and was 600.
2015-1-15
Use props
markus2015
lvl.4

Germany

thedailydrone Posted at 2015-1-16 09:53
Did you need to install the receiver from the ALV58 fpv system to the monitor since it already had ...

I just use the receiver built into the black pearl. workd great. Otherwise you'd need another poweer supply for the transmitter.
2015-1-16
Use props
isaiahbrock7.em
lvl.3
United States

johnwarr@live.c Posted at 2015-1-14 01:55
I recommend a Vision +
Or you could look at the link in the opening post for the Black Pearl se ...

i really would much rather get a vision+ but i just have the phantom 2, and currently saving up for h3-3d and a  go pro.  I got my phantom for christmas and i want to trade it for vision+  just dont know if it is reasonable becuase the vision+ is worth a lot more then just the phantom 2 base quadcopter.
2015-1-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules