Flight beyond LOS, what's your experience?
857 10 2016-3-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
slimbo
lvl.1
Flight distance : 218058 ft
Sweden

Hello fellow pilots and cinematographers!
I am new to this and I appreciate any input I can get so I'll keep this short and simple:

What kind of obstacles have you successfully flew beyond without losing connection and at what range?

See I noticed that most natural obstacles with exceptions to solid rock usually doesn't interfere much except for losing line of sight which I know never to be encouraged yet sometimes not easy to avoid in order to get the shots you want, particularly while setting up POI orbits. A couple of trees and bushes have yet worked fine but considering the potential risks involved with crossing solid man made obstacles such as fume exhaust pipes in industrials I have not yet tried even though I always set the RTH-Altitude 5-10 meters above the highest obstacles near the destination pathway I rather listen to what some of my peers and seniors have to share on the subject from actual experience. I have nothing but the upmost respect to the intuitive inventive solutions and as seen on YouTube: Real time problem solving. What better way to pay respect to this beautiful piece of engineering by taking every aspect of my person responsibilities seriously?  

I will dedicate a chapter in my upcoming online drone pilots guide complete with source reference,  images and flight demos as it not only share the accumulated knowledge of an outstanding crowd of dedicated aerial photographers and cinematographers but actually learning more trough the work of sharing information (free to access with credits when due).

If you don't want your sorry shared let me know trough your response. The temporary address to my blog is (none profit commercial free) http://blogg.exekverad.se

Note that I appreciate any and all input and I want to thank you for taking the time. Thanks!  

// Slimbo.
2016-3-30
Use props
slimbo
lvl.1
Sweden

Oh and what obstacles did you successfully uphold a connection to the aircraft trough on that distance?  Also I don't want to be euro trash but if possible could you estimate using the metric system,  or not I can convert using Google if it's a hassle but I am yet not well educated on American units of measuring. Thanks for the quick input!
2016-3-30
Use props
DJI-Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft
Hong Kong

Interesting discussion. But keep in mind that safety is the best policy during flight. Here are some tips :
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL8-vxWY64sBOmkQQJ2KWNL-uRBZsP43-r
2016-3-30
Use props
leo.s
lvl.3
Flight distance : 205696 ft
Italy

Better always fly in VLOS. Limits here in Italy are 150 m above ground level and 500 m for the horizontal distance. Higher heights and distances must be approved by the ENAC.
2016-3-30
Use props
slimbo
lvl.1
United States

I am already in contact with the national agency responsible for approving any and all flight plans. I am asking for personalnational agency responsible for approving any and all flight plans. I am asking for personalready in contact with the national agency responsible for approving any and all flight plans. I am simply gathering real life experiences and data. So I am all about the regulations but my question stands. =)
2016-4-1
Use props
Kneepuck
Second Officer
Flight distance : 275105 ft
United States

4023 meters on my stock Advanced.  (13,200 feet).  But you should be aware, the needles of pine trees are very hard on 2.4 ghz radio signals.  Pine trees are one of the main causes of interference in that frequency range especially.
2016-4-1
Use props
Cessna172
lvl.4
United States

47,488ft stock P3A
But this was at 12,000ft altitude where the air is thinner so less resistance to flight.
I was flying from a mountain side.  Absolutely no radio interference at that altitude.
2016-4-1
Use props
pgrover516
Banned

United States

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2016-4-1
Use props
dkruseski
lvl.3
Flight distance : 791184 ft
United States

Wait. These things are supposed to get off the ground?!?!

Huh.
2016-4-1
Use props
rayrokni
Second Officer
Flight distance : 8139875 ft
United States

my eye sight isn't what it used to be, so after 300' up and 200' out I don't do LOS I fly via app.
so the short answer to your question, 99% non los flights.
2016-4-1
Use props
Kneepuck
Second Officer
Flight distance : 275105 ft
United States

Cessna172 Posted at 2016-4-1 20:11
47,488ft stock P3A
But this was at 12,000ft altitude where the air is thinner so less resistance to  ...

Was that a 1 way flight?
2016-4-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules