10285 41 2016-3-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
BrAinZ
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1362096 ft
United Kingdom

Simple question....

I'm looking to take my new Phantom 3S out this evening for its 2nd flight but the location is a few miles from a small local airport. Looking at SOME of the maps online it shows this is in a "no fly zone" but not in others. Very confusing.

I'm not going to fly the quad very high and there won't actually be any aeroplanes flying as only a tiny airport used more for leisure than anything else.

But how can I tell if the DJI settings will let me fly there?
2016-3-30
Use props
davidathomas42
lvl.2

United Kingdom

What airport is it? If it's a small uncontrolled airfield (no tower) you will probably be ok. If it has a control tower then I would say not if your close as it will be controlled airspace.
2016-3-30
Use props
DJI-Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft
Hong Kong

Hi, you can check the No-Fly-Zones here:http://www.dji.com/flysafe/no-fly
2016-3-31
Use props
michaelfinney_h
lvl.2

United Kingdom

DJI-Paladin Posted at 2016-3-31 09:33

DJI-Paladin  Thanks so much for this No Fly Zone info. Makes me feel so much more secure about using my Phantom. Problem is what about commercial helicopters that seem to fly low everywhere?
2016-3-31
Use props
DJI-Paladin
Administrator
Hong Kong

michaelfinney_h Posted at 2016-3-31 18:09
DJI-Paladin  Thanks so much for this No Fly Zone info. Makes me feel so much more secure about usi ...

We could not control it so be careful during flight
2016-3-31
Use props
leo.s
lvl.3
Flight distance : 205696 ft
Italy

DJI-Paladin Posted at 2016-3-31 12:23
We could not control it so be careful during flight

What are the differences between Warning Zones and Enhanced Warning Zones as i asked here http://forum.dji.com/thread-46746-1-1.html
2016-3-31
Use props
DJI-Paladin
Administrator
Hong Kong

leo.s Posted at 2016-3-31 18:30
What are the differences between Warning Zones and Enhanced Warning Zones as i asked here http://f ...

Hope it can help you: warning zone.JPG
2016-3-31
Use props
mjlstudios
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1540131 ft
  • >>>
United States

DJI-Paladin Posted at 2016-3-31 04:33

You really can't go by what this site says. All of the NO FLY ZONES are not marked! Military bases are not marked and are NFZ! Just like the DJI manual, an update is needed.
2016-3-31
Use props
mjlstudios
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

michaelfinney_h Posted at 2016-3-31 06:09
DJI-Paladin  Thanks so much for this No Fly Zone info. Makes me feel so much more secure about usi ...

You really can't go by what this site says. All of the NO FLY ZONES are not marked! Military bases are not marked and are NFZ! Just like the DJI manual, an update is needed.
2016-3-31
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

If in the UK then THIS site can be useful. On the right I select the 'Airspace Details' dropdown then tick 'Show default airspace. Further info' on each area is visible if you click within shaded areas etc.
2016-3-31
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

And when used in conjunction with THIS then you should be good to go.

EDIT:- THIS can be a useful source as well.
2016-3-31
Use props
bobasbury
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1140502 ft
  • >>>
United States

Call the airport.  Inform them of your plan, do not ask for permission.  Say "My name is Doug Droneboy and I am going to be flying a small quadcopter a few feet south of the Piggly Wiggly on Highway 15.  I will be flying at a maximum altitude of 400 feet.  I can be reached if needed at 555-555-5555."  Substitute the red text for your own information.

I say inform not ask because they don't have to grant you permission.  However, you should heed and consider all requests or directives from them.
2016-3-31
Use props
knupla2
lvl.3
Flight distance : 922 ft
United States

mjlstudios@yaho Posted at 2016-3-31 05:04
You really can't go by what this site says. All of the NO FLY ZONES are not marked! Military bases ...

Not true.  Some Military installations are listed.  I live just east of an installation and it's identified.
2016-3-31
Use props
crschol7
lvl.1

United States

NO... 5 mile radius... all airports...
2016-3-31
Use props
SVTRay
lvl.3

michaelfinney_h Posted at 2016-3-31 18:09

Manned Helicopters can go any where which is basically true. What i usually do when I encounter them is either lower my aircraft to around 10ft and hover there until they pass by or land if their going to be in the area for a while.
2016-3-31
Use props
Nink
lvl.2

Canada

Use a little common sense even if it is not marked as an NFZ.  If it is a small airport and planes are flying overhead then you probably don't want to try and share the same air space as them.
2016-3-31
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

crschol7 Posted at 2016-3-31 20:56
NO... 5 mile radius... all airports...

5 mile radius from airports is a requirement of a 333 exemption unless you have a COA to operate  at the airport.
the NFZ in your DJI GO app is about 1.5 miles or so depending on the size of the airport.
Users can install the GEO Beta app and GEO Beta firmware on on their aircraft and after accepting all the warnings you are free to fly by most any airport.
http://www.dji.com/flysafe/geo-system
2016-3-31
Use props
SVTRay
lvl.3

FAA rules states 5 miles no exceptions.

Now with that said, I'm going to stick to the original AMA rules when it comes to these smaller non-controlled runways. I don't see needing more than 1.2 miles for a dirt runway. Just keep your bird in plain site, no higher than 400ft and yield right away to all manned flight.

Again, thats not the current "legal" way of doing things.
2016-3-31
Use props
SVTRay
lvl.3

United States

Now with that said, I'm going to stick to the original AMA rules when it comes to these smaller non-controlled runways. I don't see needing more than 1.2 miles for a dirt runway. Just keep your bird in plain site, no higher than 400ft and yield right away to all manned flight.

Again, thats not the current "legal" way of doing things.
2016-3-31
Use props
mjlstudios
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

knupla2 Posted at 2016-3-31 08:34
Not true.  Some Military installations are listed.  I live just east of an installation and it's i ...

Absolutely! Some are listed, I didn't say all military bases. I stopped counting at 14 USAF bases not listed, including the one I retired at. DJI needs to update their NFZ site to include ALL NFZ's and not just some!
2016-3-31
Use props
croth123
lvl.1
Flight distance : 725390 ft
United States

Trying to not sound too paternalistic here.  Get an aviation map (called a Sectional) and learn how to read it (Good YouTube videos are out there). It'll tell you where all the (permanent) airspace restrictions are. Call or go to the FAA's pilot website (https://pilotweb.nas.faa.gov/PilotWeb/) to get things called NOTAMS (NOtice To AirMen) to get recent and current temporary flight restrictions. To answer your question:  You cannot fly within 5 statute miles of an airport. It does not matter whether it is controlled (has a control tower) or uncontrolled (does not have a control tower).  Class B airspace (the airspace around really busy airports) have even more restrictions.
BTW, you can actually download current Sectionals online for free.
2016-3-31
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

The OP resides in the UK so FAA rulings have no bearing on his question.
2016-3-31
Use props
croth123
lvl.1
United States

Aardvark Posted at 2016-4-1 00:08
The OP resides in the UK so FAA rulings have no bearing on his question.

You are correct. I didn't notice that.  I'm not familiar with the UK's aviation regs. Still...good info for those living in the US.  
2016-3-31
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

croth123 Posted at 2016-3-31 17:19
You are correct. I didn't notice that.  I'm not familiar with the UK's aviation regs. Still...good ...

definitely
2016-3-31
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>

SVTRay Posted at 2016-3-31 22:34

Now with that said, I'm going to stick to the original AMA ...

Where does it say no exceptions?
It states if flying closer than 5 miles to notify the airport operator and ATC with prior notice.

https://www.faa.gov/uas/publications/model_aircraft_operators/
2016-3-31
Use props
SVTRay
lvl.3

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-4-1 00:51
Where does it say no exceptions?
It states if flying closer than 5 miles to notify the airport ope ...

Notifying the FAA is a given, everyone knows, these rules has been splashed across every news paper, TV news, and blog across the globe for the past year. It was just a generalization.

2016-3-31
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

SVTRay Posted at 2016-4-1 04:27
Notifying the FAA is a given, everyone knows, these rules has been splashed across every news pape ...

What are you trying to say, I was replying to your post when the person asked about flying withing 5 miles or an airport. Your response was
"FAA rules states 5 miles no exceptions."
My reply to you was correcting you that you ARE allowed to fly within 5 miles of an airport if you notify them. So I was correcting your NO EXCEPTIONS statement.

And if you have a 333, you are NOT allowed to fly within 5 miles of an towered airport UNLESS your COA allows you to.
2016-3-31
Use props
SVTRay
lvl.3

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-4-1 04:32
What are you trying to say, I was replying to your post when the person asked about flying withing ...

Ken, my reply was a generalization and not meant to be precise.

2016-3-31
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

SVTRay Posted at 2016-4-1 07:01
Ken, my reply was a generalization and not meant to be precise.

Ok sorry, I just took the "No Exceptions" as not meant to be general.
2016-3-31
Use props
SVTRay
lvl.3

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-4-1 07:05
Ok sorry, I just took the "No Exceptions" as not meant to be general.

I'll keep that in mind next time.

I just assume every one knows they can call the FAA.
2016-3-31
Use props
croth123
lvl.1
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-3-31 13:32
What are you trying to say, I was replying to your post when the person asked about flying withing ...

Notifying ATC does not give you carte blanche to fly your drone in a restricted airspace, like around an airport. ATC also has the right and authority to tell you no. When you ask ATC to fly your drone near an airport, they have the responsibility to keep all other aircraft clear of your proposed flight area. And yes, you also have the responsibility to see and avoid, too. if your proposed flight path/area will negatively impact the flight operations at the affected airport, they will probably tell you that you cannot fly there.

Regarding FAA exemptions (of which the 333COA is just one); The FAA has the right and authority to grant exemptions to any and all FAA regulations (See Subpart J of FAA part 91). They do not take granting exemptions lightly. You must prove to them that, 1-You have a legitimate need to deviate from a regulation, 2-It will not cause an undue hazard to either other aircraft or anything (or anyone) on the ground. 3-that you have the requisite experience, skills and training to safely conduct your proposed flight operation (this includes drone flights).

IMHO, (at least in the USA) the moment you engage the rotors on your drone, you are a pilot and, as such, your actions are governed by not only the regulations regarding model aircraft but ALL of FAA part 91 General Operating and Flight Rules. These rules exist for the safety of all aircraft (read: To keep aircraft from running into each other) and those on the ground.

When many of you look up at the sky, you see a big, empty space. When I look at the sky, I see one of the most regulated piece of real estate in the country.

Charles Roth
Commercial Pilot
Single Engine Instrument
Multi Engine Instrument
Former Certified Flight Instructor
2016-4-1
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>

croth123 Posted at 2016-4-2 02:00
Notifying ATC does not give you carte blanche to fly your drone in a restricted airspace, like aro ...

Charles,  was pointing out facts from the FAA website.
And yes I know all about the 333 exemption as I have had one for a year now. And I too am a private pilot and have been for over 20 years although I only was an aircraft dealer and bought and sold GA aircraft so you do hold more ratings than I.

When the exemption process started most petitions were written by lawyers and at least 20-30 pages long. If you look at the current granted exemptions you will see that there are even a few granted exemptions wit petitions that are only 1-2 pages.
So in my eyes it is getting easier. It took me two months do get my DJI aircraft registered with an N number.
2016-4-1
Use props
CaptRuss
lvl.2

United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-4-1 14:16
Charles,  was pointing out facts from the FAA website.
And yes I know all about the 333 exemption  ...

"... it's good to see that commercial UAS operators are now able to register their aircraft online and not have to go through the full scale aircraft registration process."

Hi Ken, I took a peek at the FAA website for UAV registration (https://registermyuas.faa.gov/), but it still seems to me that 333 Exemption commercial-use registration must still be executed by paper.  From the website:

"... You must use the paper (N-number) registration process if... Required by a Section 333 Exemption... Required by a Certificate of Waiver or Authorization..."

I know that you are a busy fellow, but when you get a free moment, would you post a link to the information regarding commercial UAV registrations not needing to be filed by paper any longer?  Thanks much-  Russ
2016-4-1
Use props
wellsi
First Officer
Flight distance : 8330187 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

As a number of people have mentioned, the OP is in the UK. Small airports should be called before flying, as per Civil Aviation Authority rules.  They will give you advice and permission.
http://www.caa.co.uk/Commercial- ... -unmanned-aircraft/

The person in charge of a small unmanned aircraft which has a mass of more than 7 kg excluding its fuel but including any articles installed in or attached to the aircraft at the commencement of its flight, must not fly such an aircraft:
a)        in Class A, C, D or E airspace unless the permission of the appropriate air traffic control unit has been obtained;
b)        within an aerodrome traffic zone during the notified hours of watch of the air traffic unit (if any) at that aerodrome unless the permission of any  such air traffic control unit has been obtained; or
c)        at a height of more than 400 feet above the surface unless it is flying in airspace described in sub-paragraph (a) or (b) above and in accordance with the requirements for that airspace.

So it's very easy. Call them, ask them, and you're all sorted.

Remember we also have a general CAA exemption to fly up to 1,000 feet in altitude if you are not in any controlled air space and have a companion alongside you to maintain unaided view of the drone and surrounding skies.

Cheers,
Ian

2016-4-1
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>

CaptRuss Posted at 2016-4-2 02:28
"... it's good to see that commercial UAS operators are now able to register their aircraft online ...

I saw that, I had first looked at this article. http://dronelife.com/2016/03/31/ ... drone-registration/
But it may still me the same paper way. I did read that when the FAA started the hobby registration online they stated that commercial operators would be able to do it online as well in the next few months. So I do think it's coming.
Owners must register their UAS by paper if it meets the following guidelines:
Your Aircraft weighs more than 55 lbs
You intend to operate your aircraft outside of the United States
Your aircraft is owned by a trustee
The aircraft owner uses a voting trust to meet U.S. Citizenship requirements
You are required by a Section 333 Exemption or a certificate of waiver or authorization
2016-4-1
Use props
CaptRuss
lvl.2

United States

Hi Ken,  Thanks a bunch for jumping in here.  I agree & suspect that changes in the commercial-use filing process are afoot; but I sure am not going to hold my breath in anticipation of it actually happening any time in the immediate future.  Thanks again.
2016-4-1
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>

CaptRuss Posted at 2016-4-2 02:40
Hi Ken,  Thanks a bunch for jumping in here.  I agree & suspect that changes in the commercial-use ...

No problem at all. Fly safe
2016-4-1
Use props
CaptRuss
lvl.2

United States

The following link is to the FAA website pertaining to online registration for non-hobby, commercial-use UAV.  As this information seems to contradict the as yet unchanged information referenced by the links in my earlier post, above, I have a call into my Regional FAA District Office rep. for clarification.  This seems to be good news for sure.

http://www.faa.gov/news/updates/?newsId=85305
2016-4-1
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>

CaptRuss Posted at 2016-4-2 03:44
The following link is to the FAA website pertaining to online registration for non-hobby, commercial ...

Ya I saw that, but on the next page it says you still need paper the exemption or COA requires it.
The exemption and COA require it but doesn't say anything about it needing to be paper registered.
It works, I just went through the commercial operator online process.
2016-4-1
Use props
559droni
lvl.1

United States

bobasbury Posted at 2016-3-31 03:34
Call the airport.  Inform them of your plan, do not ask for permission.  Say "My name is Doug Droneboy and I am going to be flying a small quadcopter a few feet south of the Piggly Wiggly on Highway 15.  I will be flying at a maximum altitude of 400 feet.  I can be reached if needed at 555-555-5555."  Substitute the red text for your own information.

I say inform not ask because they don't have to grant you permission.  However, you should heed and consider all requests or directives from them.

https://www.faa.gov/uas/recreational_fliers/where_can_i_fly/airspace_restrictions/flying_near_airports/

you can fly in near airports that are uncontrolled...as shown at the bottom of the FAA link...major airports, especially with a tower, is NFZ for 5miles!
2020-8-15
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules