iPad Air2 or iPad mini
2829 31 2016-3-31
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
brianarch
lvl.1

Which should I get the iPad mini or iPad air2 and why pros/ cons ? I have an iPad pro but that seems like it's going to be way to much.
2016-3-31
Use props
mgtkilledkenny
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1155823 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I have the air2. Just dropped in price , not issues with speed and love the extra screen size ,, the extra weight didn't bother me
2016-3-31
Use props
rayrokni
Second Officer
Flight distance : 8139875 ft
United States

IPad air 2.
2016-3-31
Use props
DJI-Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft
Hong Kong

Both of them are in our support list and Air 2 has a stronger chip and larger screen 兼容列表.JPG
2016-3-31
Use props
isa_aydin
lvl.2
Flight distance : 504692 ft
  • >>>
United States

DJI-Paladin Posted at 2016-4-1 02:36
Both of them are in our support list and Air 2 has a stronger chip and larger screen

Are there high quality sunshades for iPad Air 2? Does DJI produces them? I would like to buy Air 2 tomorrow.
2016-3-31
Use props
DJI-Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft
Hong Kong

isa_aydin Posted at 2016-4-1 15:27
Are there high quality sunshades for iPad Air 2? Does DJI produces them? I would like to buy Air 2 ...

Unfortunately the largest official sunshade is only suitable for IPad mini series :http://store.dji.com/product/ins ... om=related_products
2016-4-1
Use props
Exib
Second Officer
Flight distance : 153760 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Good question has anyone found a good quality sun shade
2016-4-1
Use props
rayrokni
Second Officer
United States

Exib Posted at 2016-4-1 04:09
Good question has anyone found a good quality sun shade

http://hoodmanusa.com/cgi/commer ... ion&key=HAV2KIT

http://www.hoodivision.com/#!uav-drones/c9e9

http://www.nushield.com/

The last link is a military grade anti reflective screen protector that I would try with any Sun visor that you choose
2016-4-1
Use props
rayrokni
Second Officer
United States

isa_aydin Posted at 2016-4-1 03:27
Are there high quality sunshades for iPad Air 2? Does DJI produces them? I would like to buy Air 2 ...

I put a link to three on this thread.
2016-4-1
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

The answer to the original question should be another question: How old are you? Old people should choose the largest screen they can get, and then mount the RC unit and screen to their walking frame.
2016-4-1
Use props
terrylewis
First Officer
Flight distance : 3517287 ft
  • >>>
United States

I have and use both the Air 2 and Mini 4. For photography, you can't beat the iPad Air 2 because of it's screen size. But on the RC, it is top-heavy, so I got the Inspire 1 RC Metal Mounting Bracket available at the DJI Store!. Other similar metal holder brackets are available from eBay & Amazon.

I use the Mini 4 for piloting because the size is perfect. (Notice that the Mini 4 is not on the DJI support list, but is iOS and uses the same graphics chip as the Air 2, so it works fine and their list will catch up one of these days)

If I could only use one, I'd stick with the Air 2 because of my photographic interests...

Best of luck & Fly Safe!
2016-4-1
Use props
brianarch
lvl.1

United States

Thank you for the feedback everyone I picked up the iPad Air 2 this morning
2016-4-1
Use props
Wsomer1234
New

DJI-Paladin Posted at 2016-4-1 16:01
Unfortunately the largest official sunshade is only suitable for IPad mini series :http://store.dj ...

I purchased a HOODMAN Aviator HAV2 with hood extender. Pricy, but works great with my new iPad Air 2.  I wish there was a way to brighten the screen via the DJI go app. I have the iPad maxed out in brightness, but doesn't brighten the app screen.
2016-4-1
Use props
Wsomer1234
New

DJI-Paladin Posted at 2016-4-1 16:01
Unfortunately the largest official sunshade is only suitable for IPad mini series :http://store.dj ...

I bought the shade from DJI and it doesn't fit the iPad Air 2. Bought the HOODMAN Aviator HAV2, with optional hood extender. Works perfectly... A little pricy though. Purchased from Drone World, I think..
2016-4-1
Use props
Buy Low
lvl.2

United States

depends on your near vision.  Get the one that best accommodates your vision.  I bought an ipad mini because I wanted to use it somewhat exclusively for drone flying and it fits nicely in my case.
2016-4-1
Use props
ISA AYDIN
lvl.2
Flight distance : 504692 ft
  • >>>
United States

I grabbed my RC went to closest Best Buy, and checked them both out. I ended up keeping my Mini 4.

Below are reasons:
Weight - pain while long fly
fitting into the original box
DJI hood only for ipad mini
No significant difference while filming in terms of screen size
Screen quality is twice better then on iPad Air 2 326ppi vs 264ppi (and screen resolution is same)
many complaints about broken iPad holder because of the weight of ipad Air 2
Mini is comfortable for carrying in rear pocket
while using DJI GO app  in the bed )
fits Toyota's ipad keeping place )))
I think its enough )))
2016-4-9
Use props
projeffrey11
lvl.2

United States

I just got my self a IPad mini 4 considering on getting IPad pro.
2016-4-9
Use props
Olympic2012
lvl.1

United Kingdom

I've got the new 9.7 iPad Pro and the new screen is great, much less reflective and easier to see in bright sunlight than my old IPad 3.
2016-4-9
Use props
seancwatkins44
New

i was looking to buy the ipad air 2 does it need to be connected to wifi to work with the phantom 4 ??  can it be offline to still work???
2016-4-9
Use props
Cale262
lvl.3

United States

I have both and I like the mini4 for flying and the Air2 for riding the couch.
2016-4-9
Use props
projeffrey11
lvl.2

United States

I'm using the IPad Pro
2016-4-10
Use props
KEvans
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2170823 ft

I use an iPad mini 4 with no issues.
2016-4-10
Use props
parkgt
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1167008 ft
United States

And how have you countered the top heavy issued mentioned above?
2016-4-10
Use props
projeffrey11
lvl.2

United States

parkgt Posted at 2016-4-10 16:19
And how have you countered the top heavy issued mentioned above?

I'd say eat you're beens once a day. Lol. Actually I don't think it's heavy at all personally,  but I can see why people may think it's heavy if when comparing it to iPad Air or iPad mini.
2016-4-10
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Using an iPad Air 2 64gb Cellular here. It's the best, with no compromises...

Nice to have extra screen real estate to see the big picture. ;-)

RedHotPoker
2016-4-10
Use props
Stinky711
lvl.2
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2016-4-10 20:27
Using an iPad Air 2 64gb Cellular here. It's the best, with no compromises...

Nice to have extra sc ...

I want to purchase the ipad air2 but need to know if it fits in holder with a case on it like apples smart case? Phantom3Pro.   
Thanks

2016-12-1
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Stinky711 Posted at 2016-12-1 23:00
I want to purchase the ipad air2 but need to know if it fits in holder with a case on it like appl ...

Well, that's a marvelous thought. But since I don't use a case or portpholio for my iPad Air2 Cellular, I wouldn't be able to comment. I can tell you with assurance, that the iPad Air2 just fits nicely, with maybe two clicks of the device holder.
So unless you were to remove the cover first, it might be difficult to make it fit. Couldn't you take it out for flights?
That would be my suggestion, as it works like a charm with the Go app and firmware. I wouldn't suggest for anyone to alter or cut away part of their protective case, so it should probably be taken out and used by itself.  That would be my honest opinion. Until you have the two, to trial it, I may be wrong, but the space in between is very narrow so likely not.
Just know using the iPad Air 2 is a very awesome versatile device, and I would recommend it strongly.

Looking at the case you are refering to, I would say, just remove it to fly. http://www.apple.com/ca/shop/pro ... -case-midnight-blue
All though, the grips that hold your smart device to the RC has a foam cushion on both top and bottom, perhaps that could be shaved down, or even removed completely, which would likely allow enough room for the case. Perhaps You could use some Velcro to secure the iPad from the back, keeping it safe from becoming unwedged.

RedHotPoker

2016-12-1
Use props
joachimb
lvl.3

Australia

The one super advantage of iPad mini 4 - it has a a special anti glare screen - it's useable in sunlight without a hood. The air 2 definitely needs a hood. Also the mini 4 can be used in the mavic RC holder.
2016-12-2
Use props
Stinky711
lvl.2
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2016-12-2 01:24
Well, that's a marvelous thought. But since I don't use a case or portpholio for my iPad Air2 Cellu ...

Thanks,
      After looking at the smart cover on my older ipad i see that it most likely won't fit
      I'm going to pull the trigger on either the Ipad Air2 or the Mini 4, as per Apple the latest models both have the antireflective coating on the screen.

Based on the color they both come with either a black or white border around the screen, I want to go with the white thinking it may absorb a little less Florida sun/heat. As always I may be over thinking this decision, when it comes to the screen size I can't help thinking that the Air2 is just spectacular. The only thing that's stopping me is the thought that Air2 might just be too big!
2016-12-4
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Stinky711 Posted at 2016-12-4 09:08
Thanks,
      After looking at the smart cover on my older ipad i see that it most likely won't f ...

White is a great choice, but it's the screen that will mostly heat up from the sun. I may see it in a few more months. ;-)
Yeah, the iPad Air 2 fits the device holder perfectly, as you will see. If you want a cover, just remove it to fly.

RedHotPoker

2016-12-4
Use props
ZOMBEE
lvl.2
United States

I hooked up a 40 inch Samsung.  Its a little heavy but the resolution is great, and my cat doesn't mind.
2016-12-4
Use props
TourneyX
lvl.1

United States

I bought the Ipad Pro 13" for my business. I thought I would try it so I bought the add on bracket for that size. The real estate is unreal but a little heavy.  
2016-12-4
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules