Whats really going to happen??
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
RhodyPhantom
lvl.2
United States

Firmware updates are weird to me. Now, I've only owned a P3A for about 4 months, but I've been watching these things for a couple years and I was always under the impression that if you didn't update the firmware when a new update came out, that it was possible the drone would start behaving erratically. However, I had a fellow pilot from my area tell me last week that he hasn't updated his firmware since 1.4 because his has been "flying fine". What really happens if you do or don't update the firmware? Wouldn't you get sick of the GO app always telling you everything requires an update?

I went to 1.7 when it came out but I'm not sure I'm happy with it as I can no longer update my homepoint on the fly. Kinda makes me wonder what else I might encounter mid-flight...

Any advice is appreciated!
2016-4-2
Use props
eldreds
lvl.2
Flight distance : 81545 ft
Australia

Including the latest, I've done 3 updates. The first one identified a problem that resulted in the replacement of the unit under warranty, the second and third updates have been fine. Just don't be keen to be the first to upgrade, as I've noticed other components (e.g. DJI-Go) have lagged behind a little.
2016-4-2
Use props
hummingbird.uav
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 27489951 ft
  • >>>
Canada

I've done every update since the P3P came out, I pre-ordered it.  Never once had a problem with an update.  These days I also beta test new firmware, no real problems with it either.
2016-4-2
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

" I was always under the impression that if you didn't update the firmware when a new update came out, that it was possible the drone would start behaving erratically".

If you don't update your Phantom should continue to fly just as it did the day before the update was released.
You miss out on whatever goodies (or other stuff) in in the update.

"I went to 1.7 when it came out but I'm not sure I'm happy with it as I can no longer update my homepoint on the fly."

I think you still can but it's hidden in the settings rather than on the front page (which seems pretty stupid)
2016-4-2
Use props
SVTRay
lvl.3

I've never updated my first Phantom 2 and it's probably my most reliable drone I have flown.

I updated my P2V+ & P3P once each but don't plan to update them anymore.
2016-4-2
Use props
Kneepuck
Second Officer
Flight distance : 275105 ft
United States

It really comes down to,  are you happy with the way it flies now?  If so,  why change it.  I am on 1.4.  I don't get bothered by the update notices because I always use Litchi to fly.  I only use the Go app if I need to do an IMU calibration,  which is not often.  So ,  for me,  unless some compelling new thing comes out via firmware,  I will stay with 1.4.
2016-4-2
Use props
Morph1
Banned

Canada

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2016-4-2
Use props
Elmer Fudd
lvl.4

United States

Im still on 1.4
2016-4-2
Use props
Mike_fnq
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5623 ft
Australia

Same still on 1.4 as well and I'm very happy with reliability
2016-4-3
Use props
calderj75
New
Canada

Hi, i was wondering if anyone has a copy of the 1.4.10 firmware i can get from you.  
2016-4-3
Use props
bobasbury
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1140502 ft
  • >>>
United States

Firmware updates are usually specific to a certain problem or feature.  Sometimes we see a big change (like a P4 update that added HDMI module support), and other times, they address things that may have never affected you.  But it could in the future.  Let's say for example that there is an update that improves the Phantom's behavior around certain types of radio towers.  It doesn't affect you because you don't have any of those towers near you.  But then you vacation near Atlanta.  Unbeknownst to you, there are that kind of towers in Atlanta.  Then you call DJI to tell them that your new Phantom wobbled and crashed in a field near Atlanta, and guess what DJI's first question will be:  What firmware were you using?

In fact, DJI may (this is conjecture on my part-  I don't know) exercise some of their repair / replace discretion on whether the user did what the manufacturer, DJI, suggests: Always update your firmware!

The "ain't broke, ain't fixin'" crowd will say "I don't fly anywhere different so I don't have to worry about no stinkin' towers in Atlanta."  Very true.  But my Atlanta example is fictitious.  Real firmware updates ADDRESS AND FIX REAL PROBLEMS and real issues.  Some you will never see.  Some you already have.  

Is every firmware update important?  Maybe not.  But I can tell you that updating firmware as its released is preferable to waiting and waiting and waiting until they include a feature that you really want, and then your update takes a long long time.  Have you ever been on a Windows PC that hasn't been updated in a long time?  When you shut down, in installs updates, restarts, installs more updates, restarts, etc. etc. and all of those extra steps can cause:

COMPLICATIONS.  They happen.  Updating regularly actually REDUCES your chances of an update problem.  Going from Sacramento to San Francisco is always less complicated than going from Sacramento to Seattle.  Being more familiar with the update process only helps you, and may reduce some of apprehension and doubt about the next update.

And yes, some firmware updates have unintended bad consequences.  But these are rare and the fix of same takes high priority.

Bottom line:  When it comes to operation of my Phantom, I don't take the advice of worriers, warriors, fanboy yes-men or handsome forum members with a dashing bacon pirate t-shirt.  I do what the MANUFACTURER suggests because they know the Phantom BEST.
2016-4-3
Use props
Rnfaust
lvl.4
Flight distance : 734938 ft

I totally agree with bobasbury above. Some may have there own reasons for waiting (mostly conspiracy theory related), but I for one have always had good results following the DJI recommendations.

Re: What happened to the reset home point icon - it's now buried in the advanced tab of the setting menu (visible only when the aircraft is connected.) They may have moved it to avoid confusion with the RTH icon on the main screen. It's now 3 clicks instead of one.
2016-4-3
Use props
WetDog
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1131886 ft
United States

Well, it's more complicated than that.  Although firmware updates are *supposed* to fix problems, they often introduce others.    Pretty much every firmware update has been followed by at least one consistent issue be it poorer hovering ability, problems with power cycling, issues with video reception and others.  Unfortunately, DJI - like most other vendors - doesn't extensively test the updates.

Further, DJI has a habit of adding other 'features' without documenting them.  Most of these have been concerned with Geofencing issues.  This has annoyed many, many users since it was unannounced and tended to decrease functionality.  Currently a bug in the recent RC update has prevented it from keeping maps in memory.  I have to remember to update the map just before I fly since I am usually flying in an area without cell coverage.

But DJI has clearly sent out upgrades that helped. The recent 1.6 firmware has seemingly fixed an annoying problem where the P3 would fall out of the sky because of battery issues.  That's helpful.

So it isn't just a matter of mindlesssly pluggin the P3 in every time DJI thinks you should.  The informed consumer takes their time, looks at the forum posts for issues and decides if it is worth the time and effort to reflash the firmware.
2016-4-3
Use props
RhodyPhantom
lvl.2
United States

Thanks guys, this is all really helpful. The 1.4 update seems to be everyone's favorite. Is it possible to revert to a previous update WITHOUT the unwanted features of newer updates, such as geofencing or 'update homepoint' being moved?
2016-4-3
Use props
FatedFilmsNC
lvl.4

United States

the newest firmware is my favorite, because now there's not a chance i can do a CSC using just the joysticks. that's a big plus in my book.
2016-4-3
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

FatedFilmsNC Posted at 2016-4-4 08:51
the newest firmware is my favorite, because now there's not a chance i can do a CSC using just the j ...

Not if you you are using a P3.
But accidental CSC in normal flight isn't going to happen anyway.
2016-4-3
Use props
Morph1
Banned

Canada

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2016-4-3
Use props
cbrenkus
lvl.3
Flight distance : 7 ft
United States

Kneepuck Posted at 2016-4-2 23:53
It really comes down to,  are you happy with the way it flies now?  If so,  why change it.  I am on  ...

EXACTLY!  Me too.. P3P on 1.4
2016-4-3
Use props
CapitAn
Second Officer
  • >>>
Canada

l do as Morph says in post #7. l'm on original FW 1.1.6 and still using Pilot app, no GO.
Disable updates to your tablet, or always leave it in airplane mode as l do, and you'll never see any messages that you need to update.
2016-4-3
Use props
FatedFilmsNC
lvl.4

United States

labroides@yahoo Posted at 2016-4-3 19:02
Not if you you are using a P3.
But accidental CSC in normal flight isn't going to happen anyway.

ah I didn't realize the P3's didn't get the same feature in their newest firmware update. So P3's can still do a CSC with both joysticks turned in and down? Isn't this the part of the forums for P4's? I specifically click the P4 threads when i come into the forums because I don't own a P3, just a P4.
2016-4-4
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules