Safe distance from cell tower and powerlines
5428 13 2016-4-4
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
murilo.carmello
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1562549 ft
Israel

We know that we can´t fly near cell tower and high voltage lines, but, what would be a safe distance? 100 meters? 200 meters? 500 meters?

2016-4-4
Use props
jaycee
lvl.2

Check out this link, specially the diagram that Markus provided.

Cheers

http://forum.dji.com/thread-4272-1-1.html
2016-4-4
Use props
exmeaguy
lvl.2
United States

I was about 100 yards away from some high-powered lines and could not calibrate my compass because it said of electrical interference.  I moved another 50 yards away and it calibrated immediately.  Not sure about cell towers.
2016-4-4
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

Like the other thread states, it depends on the power of the line and the shielding of the cable.
I flew about 50ft over a streetcar cable line and almost lost my P3.
2016-4-4
Use props
Murilo Carmello
lvl.4
Israel

If someone is interested, it´s a summary by what I googled and the link:
Big power line: a safe distance is 100 meters, but until 50 meters the interference is low, then I think that we can fly ( but not recommend 50 meters, it can interfere )
Low power line ( home line ): It should only interfere if it have many lines or if you are very close ( 10~20 meters )
Cell towers: It depends a little on where you live
Here in Brazil the frequency  for 4G is 2,5 Hz, too close Phantom RC ( 2,4 Hz ), I have already flew with a simple drone of another brand  ( RC 2,4 Hz ) very close of a cell tower ( 10 meters ) and no problems
I live 70 meters from a tower, I'll do some tests at this distance and after I´ll write here

•        there is no formula for this, this is just my opinion
2016-4-4
Use props
Murilo Carmello
lvl.4
Brazil

I calibrate my compass and flew 70 meters of cell tower, no problens
2016-4-4
Use props
SVTRay
lvl.3

I usually try and keep a 200 yrd minimum distance from transmission lines when I fly. I really don't think there an issue where I fly per se, I have flown my birds under them walking back to my truck and launched my birds within 50-100yrds with zero issue. I just  like to keep them at arms length.
2016-4-4
Use props
pgrover516
Banned

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2016-4-4
Use props
jc37
New
Germany

Hey, all you people who have said 'I had no problems' were just lucky.  All lines with electricity can affect your Drone.  Powerlines, Cellphone towers and overhead lines of electric trains.  I worked at a company that had it's office next to a train line and we could not use (back then) normal CRT monitors and had to get the very very expensive first LCD Monitors that came out.
Do this easy test:  turn your car radio to AM mode and drive under a powerline - case proven!
2016-9-3
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Another good demonstration
2016-9-3
Use props
helidan
lvl.4
Flight distance : 459951 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Can ships marine radar affect our drones?

I presume it probably can.
2016-9-3
Use props
dak162
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2999472 ft
  • >>>
United States

helidan Posted at 2016-9-3 06:56
Can ships marine radar affect our drones?

I presume it probably can.

YES! Personal experience. Flying level in front or behind marine RADAR 50-200 meters away gets the brunt of the high energy RF from the RADAR. Flying directly above Marine RADAR has not caused any issues. This is due to the transmission pattern of the RADAR.
2016-9-3
Use props
bletzinger
lvl.4
Flight distance : 133287 ft
United States

cant figure out how to post image...[img][/img]
2016-9-3
Use props
Mallettron
lvl.3
Flight distance : 82641 ft
United Kingdom

Ive flown over a cell tower (without knowing) lost control but as it was a litchi mission it just carried on and i got control back after it came back over
2016-9-4
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules