Bottom and top shell replacement
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Raincheck
lvl.1

Ireland

Hi Guys & Girls,

Anyone of you had the bottom and top shell replaced if so can I ask what did you pay for this. I would like to know or at least some indication before I send it over to have it done.

I asked the DJI Netherlands Support Center:
"Unfortunately we cannot tell an estimate price before seeing your aircraft in our repair center"
Okay I understand it's difficult without seeing but I don't think this will be the first time that the DJI Netherlands Support Center has done a repair/replacement like this.

Just want to know some price indication so I can make-up my mind before spending money on shipping.

Thanks...

2016-4-6
Use props
ssmulinari
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1025246 ft
Brazil

Just consider that amazon (US) sells both parts for U$59.
There are many videos in YouTube showing how to do it and people here estimate 3 to 6 hs to do it your self, depending on your hand skills.
2016-4-13
Use props
joshhill
lvl.2

United States

I sent mine in for the cracks under motor, top and bottom she'll replaced. Unfortunately I don't know how much because my phantom was a week old and it was covered under warranty. If it's she'll cracks they should cover it under warranty.
2016-4-13
Use props
Raincheck
lvl.1

Ireland

Hi ssmulinari & joshhill,

Thanks for your reply I had a look and yes loads of tutorials how to replace the shell(s) and have decided to do it myself and gather the needed tools. My main concern is the GPS antenna that's kind of taped down into the shell anyone having experience with that also the LED's how do you secure them again after removing? Can I ask for some tips what to watch out for from forum members who actually did the full shell replacement them selfs.

Thanks in advance,

Rain.

2016-4-14
Use props
johnsr
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1579022 ft
France

Raincheck Posted at 2016-4-14 10:52
Hi ssmulinari & joshhill,

Thanks for your reply I had a look and yes loads of tutorials how to rep ...

No problem doing it yourself. Keep in mind that you will void your warranty. It took me a long afternoon as I went carefully and took photos at each step. Find a quiet well lit place to work.There are about 68 screws to remove. The tricky part is opening the shell as there are tab locks. Take care removing the connectors, there is a release catch. The special tools you need are: 2 Torx screwdrivers (n° 6 & n°8), a 2mm Allen key or driver, and three small precision Phillips-head screwdrivers (P00, P0 and P1). A curved pair of electronics tweezers will be very useful. In addition to the DJI replacement shells I also bought the kit of assorted replacement screws.
Have fun!

Note (added later): To answer your first question about the GPS PCB which is held in place with self-sticking shielding. Its orientation is critical to correct flight, but there are asymmetric holes, so there is no risk to do it wrong (thanks DJI). Just undo it carefully and put it on the new shell. Second question: LEDS. These are on small PCB each held in place with two plastic rods. To remove them you will need to cut the burrs off the rod ends. In order to install them in the new shell, just slide them over the rods and either glue or use a small soldering tip to slightly melt the ends to form new burrs (check before doing this that you are placing them in the correct arms!).

Last suggestion, when you watch these rebuild videos, make yourself a worklist. Then check off as you go and write comments, this can help during reassembly.
2016-4-14
Use props
Raincheck
lvl.1

Ireland

Thanks johnsr,

That is very helpful those pointers going to order the new shell now and the needed tools.

Grtx Rain.
2016-4-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules