Afraid to update before a New Job tomorrow. Thoughts?
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
john.davis.core
lvl.1
United States

Guys, so I have applied for my 333 exemption and am now in the waiting for approval mode but in the mean time I am operating under the companies 333 exemption that I hired to assist me with getting mine. I have a Great Opportunity to expand my abilities for Arial Photography and Videography tomorrow with a group of Cowboys on a Cattle Ranch, so I am going through all my gear and confirming everything is charged and operational and discovered I need to update my RC, Camera, and Aircraft.   I have been reading some people have been having issues with this update, so I plan on going and doing this job over the next 2 days without updating until after the job is complete.  

Am I going to have any issues by not updating until after this work is complete?
2016-4-6
Use props
igot2n0
Second Officer
Flight distance : 740548 ft
United States

Do you also have a pilots license?
2016-4-6
Use props
terrylewis
First Officer
Flight distance : 3517287 ft
  • >>>
United States

You're wise to wait for a more opportune time to perform the upgrade. Firmware upgrades should be considered aircraft systems maintenance. Before your job, there's not enough time to perform the upgrade, followed by any post-maintenance checks and check flights.

Simply ignore the alert in the GO App. Fly the mission, and update later.
2016-4-6
Use props
Elmer Fudd
lvl.4

United States

Why would you need to update beforehand? I wouldnt chance it if i were you. Im still running 1.4 and it tells me all the time i need to update, but im not.
2016-4-6
Use props
Elmer Fudd
lvl.4

United States

P.S. Dont forget your SD cards. People have been known to forget them when they need them the most.
2016-4-6
Use props
FAS1
lvl.4

United States

And don't forget your pilots license.
2016-4-6
Use props
john.davis.core
lvl.1
United States

Thanks guys, I didn't think there would be an issue but it never hurts to check.
2016-4-6
Use props
Kit Walker
lvl.3

Australia

It is advised by DJI that you fly with the latest updates.I wonder what their response will be RE firmware.............
2016-4-7
Use props
jrm11
lvl.3
Flight distance : 224577 ft
United States

Rule of thumb that dates back to the beginning of computers....

NEVER update/upgrade software or hardware on mission critical equipment prior to or in the middle of a paying job. The only exception is when the gear/software in question is not working properly (and the update is designed to fix the problem).
2016-4-7
Use props
microcyb
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1095955 ft
United States

jrm11 Posted at 2016-4-7 15:45
Rule of thumb that dates back to the beginning of computers....

NEVER update/upgrade software or ha ...

So very true.
2016-4-7
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

I would use this job as  practice for when you get your exemption. Research the area before hand and see if all the exemption and COA rules are able to be complied with. Practice calling in your NOTAM. and since you must be a pilot, don't forget to bring your log books with all your other paperwork.
2016-4-7
Use props
cheddar-man
Second Officer
Flight distance : 44062 ft

United Kingdom

Although this thread is five years old, I would still answer the original question as follows.

If your drone is working fine DO NOT UPDATE THE FIRMWARE JUST FOR THE SAKE OF IT.

By far the most common thread on these forums are from people who have updated their drones and screwed them up

IF IT AINT BROKE, DON'T FIX IT!!!
2021-9-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules