How to guide: Modify the gimbal lock to fit P4 aftermarket filters
1222 6 2016-4-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
LiFan
lvl.1

So I bought some CPL and ND filters, but found out that all of them doesn't fit onto the gimbal lock that came with the drone.

I proceed to modify the gimbal lock/camera lens cover on my DJI Phantom 4 by cutting out the front part, and stop at where the aftermarket filter lens would protrude.

The drone doesn't really need the front lens cover part, reason being you've already got a UV filter (or whatever filter you have in front of your camera lens protecting the actual lens. As long as your gimbal locks securely during transport, you should be good.

Tools I've used:

Pencil to mark where the lens filter area to be cut
Jewelers saw to cut the plastics off (You can go to home depot and find a mini saw for couple dollars, that also works)
Small files to file the edges flat and smooth (Also at your local hardware store for couple dollars)

Filters I've used and recommend (except the variable ND filter in the pack, which is crap):
http://amzn.to/208V2Pe

Hope it helps the rest of you P4 owners out there who are stuck with no gimbal lock for aftermarket lens filters.
2016-4-7
Use props
DJI-Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft
Hong Kong

Good job and thanks for your sharing
2016-4-7
Use props
rwhoffart
lvl.2
Flight distance : 13068 ft
United States

The Taco-rc filters are the same size as the original and no mods are needed ... just fyi
2016-4-7
Use props
Li.F
lvl.1

rwhoffart@gmail Posted at 2016-4-8 10:33
The Taco-rc filters are the same size as the original and no mods are needed ... just fyi

Got it... Thanks!

Do they have a CPL that's rotatable front element?
2016-4-7
Use props
rwhoffart
lvl.2
Flight distance : 13068 ft
United States

Here you go ... http://taco-rc.com/phantom-4-accessories/
2016-4-7
Use props
PolarPro
lvl.4
Flight distance : 315682 ft
  • >>>
United States

Great DIY,

We also have a P4 Gimbal Lock launching next week, that will be compatible with our P4 Filters.

Jeff
2016-4-26
Use props
FatedFilmsNC
lvl.4

United States

Polar Pro makes some that fit with the gimbal lock without modification...just letting people here know. I have them, they work great.

well, somehow I guess they don't fit (even though they are essentially the same size as my original lens). But they're making a solution for it so oh well.
2016-4-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules