Thank you for developing the Phantom 4!
651 5 2016-4-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Photography Stu
New

Australia

So many people take the time to complain when something goes wrong but I think it is also as if not more important to thank when something so incredible is made available.  I’ve been a photographer since the late 90's and have always had a love for cinema.  This is my first drone and with no experience I am really moved by the shots I am regularly able to capture. I think it was my third flight and I wanted to fly through the two pillars of a tall cathedral then see the city and turn it into an aerial shots of the CBD.  I was able to shoot this with steady cam abilities with your drone.  Recently I attempted to shoot the Bolty Bridge in Melbourne that’s 160 meters high. Keeping my height limit set to 120 meters i attempted to shoot this, i wanted to fly through the two pillars and then frame the city in between them.  An ambitious shot for someone with a few hours experience.  And I almost achieved it.  It was a time where your technology saved my drone and the cars below it so I would like to thank you for building such an intelligent aircraft.  What happened was that when it got into position I lost the signal as the line of sight was temporarily lost.  U had to fly into this position then fly through the pillars so when the signal was lost the return to home function was initiated.  My max height is 102 but the pillar that it was flying rapidly towards is 160 meters tall.  So it raised then headed directly into the concrete wall.  Then you took over.  The drone stopped within a few meters of hitting the wall and hovered there.  with plenty of battery left I was stressed but still able to try and figure out when to do as the drone was simply stuck hovering at 120 meters in front of the massive concrete structure.  So I went into the preferences and increased my max height to 200 meters and then immediately the drone just flew over the pillar and came back to me.  The reception was in and out and I was not sure if the change of height limit would get through to the drone but it did immediately although the flight controls like move back wards would not.

I would like to be able to fly around object with out this from happening so if there are any suggestions or info about this please let me know.

Cheers Dave.

Dave Bolty.jpg
2016-4-11
Use props
DJI-Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft
Hong Kong

Thanks for your sharing,  the photo you post is very nice
2016-4-12
Use props
harb
lvl.2
Flight distance : 99986539 ft
Australia

haha I bet you don't do that again.....12 months ago you might have had a real problem and a lot of explaining to do.
I would probably recommend you get out there and do some flying time, so when you get into a situation you can react calm and cool.
When I first started flying, I was banned from any GPS functions by my instructor......he had to be confident I could fly before he let me let the drone do it for me.......it has paid off many times.
Anyway, enjoy your drone, a better tool for film and photography you will never find
2016-4-12
Use props
Photography Stu
New

Australia

harb@bigpond.ne Posted at 2016-4-12 19:10
haha I bet you don't do that again.....12 months ago you might have had a real problem and a lot of  ...

Any pointers for shooting something like this where the drone naturally will get out of line of sight?  Say I want to fly under a bridge then over it for example.  maybe I was to close to the bridge and should have been much further away?  I was a little surprised that I lost reception to it as I was only around 200 meters away but it couldn't reach my remote from around the pilar.  
2016-4-12
Use props
Jkeller84
Second Officer
Flight distance : 396955 ft
  • >>>
United States

It's a large chunk of concrete and steel. There aren't many signals in the world that can penetrate that. Much less a hobby aircraft.
2016-4-12
Use props
Photography Stu
New

Australia

Jkeller84 Posted at 2016-4-12 20:38
It's a large chunk of concrete and steel. There aren't many signals in the world that can penetrate  ...

Noted, I was thinking maybe a different flight path as it is a common shot to capture there must be a way around it.  I think Ill figure it out!
2016-4-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules