Selfie Flight Mode?
2947 14 2016-4-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
TJ10
lvl.2

Canada

Any considerations on adding a selfie flight mode? i.e. drone flys out to a specified distance, turns around in your direction, and snaps some photos. Think that would be a really cool feature!
2016-4-13
Use props
nigelw
Second Officer
Flight distance : 518084 ft
United Kingdom

Why?  Can't you just fly it & press the shutter button?  Or use POI?
2016-4-13
Use props
TJ10
lvl.2

Canada

nigelw Posted at 2016-4-13 18:38
Why?  Can't you just fly it & press the shutter button?  Or use POI?

Just thought it would give it a more natural setting so you can put your remote down and hide it behind you and so you don't have to hit the picture button. Also, POI makes it more tricky as there could be more obstacles in the way with a wide 360 radius.
2016-4-13
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

TJ10 Posted at 2016-4-14 09:16
Just thought it would give it a more natural setting so you can put your remote down and hide it b ...

You should put yourself down for a Lily, if and when it ever comes out. It is the perfect selfie machine, if you can believe the hype.
2016-4-13
Use props
TJ10
lvl.2

Canada

Geebax Posted at 2016-4-13 20:21
You should put yourself down for a Lily, if and when it ever comes out. It is the perfect selfie ma ...

I've seen that, it's fully waterproof too! Downside is you can't change the battery! Plus, spent almost $2000 on my P3A, not in the market for another drone! Selfies are probably the number one kind of picture taken all around the world. If nothing else, it's a great selling point for DJI. You hiring in your marketing department by any chance
2016-4-13
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

TJ10 Posted at 2016-4-14 10:39
I've seen that, it's fully waterproof too! Downside is you can't change the battery! Plus, spent a ...

Selfies are popular for phone people, but few people bother with them on drones, in fact most people go to great lengths not to appear in their material. The Lily is aimed at a different crowd. (if it ever appears).
2016-4-13
Use props
TJ10
lvl.2

Canada

Geebax Posted at 2016-4-13 21:22
Selfies are popular for phone people, but few people bother with them on drones, in fact most peop ...

That's why being able to do it automatically would be great, don't have to have a big bulky controller in my hand when I want a great shot. Drones are becoming more and more popular, and I think it'd be smart for DJI to also target a younger audience. Take a look at GoPro, a majority of GoPro shots are taken to film people rather than scenery. GoPro is releasing a drone this year. People like taking selfies to show themselves off, imagine all of the people who would want a selfie from a totally different perspective (showing off yourself AND your environment)
2016-4-13
Use props
TJ10
lvl.2

Canada

Geebax Posted at 2016-4-13 21:22
Selfies are popular for phone people, but few people bother with them on drones, in fact most peop ...

Also, I know DJI products are pricey, and have a much more mature crowd. If they would add a cheap "selfie" drone into their product line (say that only goes a few hundred feet away) to keep their costs down, I think that would be their number one seller! Think of all the young kids who would jump on board with that. I believe drone selfies are a thing of the future my friend! Guess we'll have to wait and see
2016-4-13
Use props
myemel
lvl.2
Flight distance : 114314 ft
United States

Geebax Posted at 2016-4-13 20:22

I fairly sure there's a market it for it.
Pretty sure they'll follow the Apple product model and update the DJIGO App with new features mid-year or when the GoPro drone is released. Also, the Typhoon H (When it ships) has the selfie function....looking at you DJI. My guess is fall is when will see this function added, although I'd prefer it sooner than later.
2016-4-13
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

myemel Posted at 2016-4-14 12:31
I fairly sure there's a market it for it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NR3Cnl4spwU
Pretty sure t ...

Sure, there are plenty of self-obsessed drones out there who would want one.
2016-4-13
Use props
DJI-Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft
Hong Kong

Interesting idea. But now you can use POI  to give it a try.
2016-4-13
Use props
ronburk
lvl.3
Flight distance : 4844216 ft
United States

TJ10 Posted at 2016-4-13 18:16
Just thought it would give it a more natural setting so you can put your remote down and hide it b ...

You can fly it out and then turn it around and frame up your shot, then start the camera doing timed photos, 10, 20 or 30 second intervals. Put the controller down behind you and there you go!
2016-4-13
Use props
jyurkyandsons
lvl.2

United States

TJ10 Posted at 2016-4-14 09:49
That's why being able to do it automatically would be great, don't have to have a big bulky contro ...

Took a selfie tonight all you gotta do is push a button , drones are really making the news these days the industry needs to hope we don't lose are right to fly.
2016-4-13
Use props
ServantPCB
lvl.1

United States

You can use Active Track to do a selfie.  Center yourself and hit GO and give the Phantom altitude. It will keep you in the frame as it goes up. I went up to 170 feet and was still in the center. Also if you use the right stick to go left or right, it will make a circle around you.
2016-4-23
Use props
mjlstudios
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1540131 ft
  • >>>
United States

Fly out to the distance you want, turn the A/C around, frame your selfie the way you want, set the camera to shoot time lapse, put the RC behind you and let the time lapse shoot your selfies for you. Change your pose, change your expression, change your clothes...etc. Your time lapse will shoot all the craziness you like depending on how you set up the feature.
2016-4-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules