1518 20 2016-4-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
helidan
lvl.4
Flight distance : 459951 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

How many of you have a noticeable amount of horizon tilt?
Apart from the usual calibration procedures are there any little tips or tricks to minimise it?
2016-4-14
Use props
G_MEZ_G
lvl.3

United States

I have read about this but yesterday I noticed it for the first time during some pictures that I was taking.
2016-4-22
Use props
helidan
lvl.4
Flight distance : 459951 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I've more or less evened it out now by using gimbal roll adjustment.  Whatever you set it to is remembered for next time.
2016-4-22
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>

Have you done a gimbal calibrations and also an IMU calibration.
You can also adjust the gimbal roll.
2016-4-22
Use props
johnsr
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1579022 ft
France

If the problem continues after a valid IMU calibration performed on a really level surface, then a tilted horizon might come from one of two hardware sources: 1) set screw is not tightened on the gimbal axis, or 2) one of the gimbal shock absorbers is torn or out of its socket. Perhaps others have additional suggestions.
Have fun & good flying!
2016-4-22
Use props
AG0N-Gary
First Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

I've lived with this off and on the entire time I've had mine.  I recently made some headway by doing a gimbal calibration on a not quite level surface.  That is, I tried to duplicate the amount of tilt in the opposite direction so that it comes out right when flying.
2016-4-22
Use props
alirz1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 609833 ft
Canada

Shame on Dji ..all they do is suggest calibrations. When they know that will not solve the problem. I have a p3a, p3p, my brother has a p4. All have the tilted horizon issue.
2016-4-22
Use props
alirz1
lvl.4
Canada

Is DJI going to do anything about this problem?
2016-5-3
Use props
dieselwind
lvl.2

United States

I've noticed the tilted horizon when there is a solid cross wind and you're in GPS mode.  Try it.  Calibrate the gimbal on the ground.  Take it up in GPS mode and hover a few hundred feet.  Face into the wind and then slowly yaw into a panoramic shot 360 degrees.  Watch the horizon and you'll see what I mean.  With a head wind and tailwind the gimbal will be level.  As you transition into the left and right cross wind, the horizon will tilt.  Perhaps because the phantom flight controls are making automatic inputs to maintain GPS position while fighting a cross wind component?
2016-5-3
Use props
andromeda2011hk
lvl.1
Flight distance : 3123661 ft
Hong Kong

Should we try to tighten the screws by ourself if they are loss?
2016-5-3
Use props
P3-4K-FL
lvl.2
Flight distance : 4537 ft
United States

I have a P3-4K I purchased a few weeks ago and have flow a few times. I have attempted all of the calibrations, updated firmware, completed multiple IMU calibrations and still have the tilted horizon even when there is almost no breeze. Which set screw specifically is being mentioned above?
2016-5-3
Use props
alirz1
lvl.4
Canada

Cross winds should not affect the camera. The whole point of the gimbal is to level the camera while the phantom  tilts and yaws etc...
2016-5-3
Use props
P3-4K-FL
lvl.2
United States

Does DJI have any comment on this? It seems to be prevalent throughout the series. I read issues with P4 and P3 owners all having issues with the horizon being tilted. It would seem to me that they would be commenting on this issue however I don't see  much from their moderators.

Also, again, which set screw was being discussed by johnsr?
2016-5-4
Use props
andre.vanhuizen
lvl.1
Netherlands

I have a tilted horizon from day one. Left side is low. Done all the updates and calibrations to no effect. Drives me a bit crazy.
2016-5-4
Use props
alirz1
lvl.4
Canada

Yeh you won't see Dji responding to issue...
2016-5-4
Use props
Not A Speck Of
lvl.4
Flight distance : 666493 ft
United States

P3-4K-FL Posted at 2016-5-4 21:46
Does DJI have any comment on this? It seems to be prevalent throughout the series. I read issues wit ...

P3-4K-FL, yes the DJI folk and the rest of us have commented on tilted horizons, IMU calibration, and Gimbal roll adjustments many times. Feel free to search the archives for the many previous threads.

"prevalent throughout the series"?

It's prevalent throughout any device that has a calibration procedure to sometimes be OUT of calibration, which is why the procedure exists.
2016-5-4
Use props
alirz1
lvl.4
Canada

Not A Speck Of  Posted at 2016-5-4 17:31
P3-4K-FL, yes the DJI folk and the rest of us have commented on tilted horizons, IMU calibration,  ...

You obviously don't know how wide spread the problem is.
2016-5-4
Use props
P3-4K-FL
lvl.2
United States

The issue as I see it (and obviously I am very new to the DJI series but not new to software/systems it is what I do for a living) is that even after following all of the alignment and calibration instructions they problem continues to exist. I, like many others, have done everything possible to calibrate on an extremely level surface and the issue persists. From what I have searched through the archives (yes I did that) this issue IS prevalent throughout their systems and they typically do not seem to be commenting on it.

Having said all of that, I am not at all disparaging their systems, they are amazing for the cost and with what they deliver. It is just an annoying element within their systems that the tilted horizon continues to plague just about everyone.

I have not tried to freeze my system for an hour or put it in the refrigerator for an hour and then attempt an IMU calibration. I live in central florida and that would cause undue amounts of condensation on the external and internal components of the system so I don't feel it is a valid option, nor does it really seem to make sense to me.

Thanks
2016-5-5
Use props
endotherm
First Officer
Flight distance : 503241 ft

Australia

dieselwind Posted at 2016-5-4 03:19
I've noticed the tilted horizon when there is a solid cross wind and you're in GPS mode.  Try it.  C ...

That's an interesting observation.   I wonder if the camera isn't catching the side wind like a sail, and the roll/tilt is being introduced as the camera assembly is pushed to the side?  I imagine the camera is referenced to the lower plate, but this will be pushed out of horizontal/flat with a big enough crosswind.  From the front or rear, the camera will be looking a couple of degrees higher or lower, but it probably won't be obvious, at least the horizon is level.  I don't know where the sensors are physically located, and I wonder if a few degrees out of parallel in the gimbal plates translates to being off-horizontal by the same amount?  As an example, if the aircraft has a 45 degree roll, it will introduce a -45 degree roll of the camera to keep it level.  But those angles are with respect to the top gimbal plate/base of the aircraft.  If there are a few extra degrees introduced by a crosswind, the sensor may not be aware that the bottom plate is not where it expects it to be.
crosswind gimbal.jpg
2016-5-5
Use props
dieselwind
lvl.2

United States

endotherm Posted at 2016-5-5 20:49
That's an interesting observation.   I wonder if the camera isn't catching the side wind like a sa ...

I flew yesterday evening with a 20 knot NW wind - definitely had a horrible tilt when it was a crosswind.  Perfect alignment when into the wind, or tailwind.
2016-5-6
Use props
Not A Speck Of
lvl.4
Flight distance : 666493 ft
United States

alirz1 Posted at 2016-5-5 10:29
You obviously don't know how wide spread the problem is.

... or have been exposed to it for a length of time much longer than your exposure.
2016-5-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules