RTH Height Definition
2180 10 2016-4-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Paul Schulze
lvl.1
Flight distance : 280591 ft
United States

If the Home Location is set at the top of a hill and the drone executes a RTH at the bottom of the hill, is the return altitude determined relative to the Home Location or relative to where the RTH was initiated?  This can make a big difference in setting the RTH parameters.
2016-4-14
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Your Phantom only knows one height and that is home = zero.
Everything else is relative to that
2016-4-14
Use props
jyurkyandsons
lvl.2

United States

labroides@yahoo Posted at 2016-4-15 13:59
Your Phantom only knows one height and that is home = zero.
Everything else is relative to that

So if home point is 1600 ft.and I fly up a hillside at 2000 ft. On to a flat and hit RTH my Setting better be at least 400 ft. When does bird start to descend? Never used RTH  until I understand it better.
2016-4-15
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>

jyurkyandsons Posted at 2016-4-16 07:03
So if home point is 1600 ft.and I fly up a hillside at 2000 ft. On to a flat and hit RTH my Settin ...

Just as labroides said, think of where you power up your aircraft (home point) is ground level, 0 feet)
So home point cannot be 1,600ft. You can be 1,600ft above MSL but your at 0ft AGL which is how the aircraft is calculated.
So the hill you want to fly up to is 400ft. if you have your RTH set lower than the 400ft your aircraft is at, it will head back at whatever altitude you are at.
2016-4-15
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

jyurkyandsons Posted at 2016-4-16 09:03
So if home point is 1600 ft.and I fly up a hillside at 2000 ft. On to a flat and hit RTH my Settin ...
Your question is unclear.  Perhaps you would be fine with 20 m RTH height.
I can't say without a better explanation of the scenario you are using.

RTH is one of the most important things to understand for flying your Phantom.
There are 3 pages about it in the manual.
The time you need it or the first time it activates by itself is not the time to start learning.

Do your RTH reading and go to a large open area and experiment with it to find out how it works and how to cancel and resume control.
And you have to send it out more than 20 metres to try RTH.
2016-4-15
Use props
jyurkyandsons
lvl.2

United States

labroides@yahoo Posted at 2016-4-16 07:32
I can't say without a bet ...

I will read the manual and experiment the next time out , Thanks for sharing.
2016-4-15
Use props
Northofthe49th
Second Officer

Canada

Think of home point as "0'" regardless of your physical altitude...again, disregard your actual physical altitude....weather it be above or below sea level.""
When you take off, let's say at 2,500' above sea level, your home point with reference from where you took off is "0'"...so if you fly up 200' and do an RTH (depends what you have it set to) it will be referenced from your "0'" home point from where you took off...
If you take off at ie. 2,500' and climb down a hill 500' and initiate an RTH your bird will climb to the 200' above your take off point which was 2,500'....
It is always referenced from your takeoff location/altitude....
2016-4-15
Use props
Northofthe49th
Second Officer

Canada

jyurkyandsons Posted at 2016-4-16 09:37
I will read the manual and experiment the next time out , Thanks for sharing.

Love the idea of reading the manual, better still, there are some awesome videos and tutorials....
Check out this link and just down in the first post.http://forum.dji.com/thread-24691-1-1.html
Also....http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?m ... 81&page=1#pid251592

2016-4-15
Use props
jyurkyandsons
lvl.2

United States

Northofthe49th Posted at 2016-4-16 09:51
Think of home point as "0'" regardless of your physical altitude...again, disregard your actual phys ...

Thanks , that's the example I was looking for .
2016-4-16
Use props
jyurkyandsons
lvl.2

United States

labroides@yahoo Posted at 2016-4-16 07:32
I can't say without a bet ...

Pushed the RTH button nothing happened , waited 30 sec. Pushed it again and it started to flash bird returned to home, did a second time and it worked .Any ideas why it failed on first attempt , my friend was giving me a lesson and when he pushed button nothing happened so he pushed button on go app and it worked , do you have to keep button pushed till it starts flashing?
2016-4-18
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

jyurkyandsons Posted at 2016-4-18 22:08
Pushed the RTH button nothing happened , waited 30 sec. Pushed it again and it started to flash bi ...

As the manual says:  Press and hold the RTH button to start RTH and press it again to cancel and resume control.

It's not a simple press ... it's press and hold.
When RTH initiates it will beep and show Returning to home on the screen.
Practice in an open area so that when you need RTH you will know how to use it.
2016-4-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules