Why would you use A-Mode instead of P-Mode?
10483 16 2016-4-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DJIHavequestion
lvl.2

Do most people just keep it in P-Mode?
In the manual here's what it states:
P-Mode:
P-mode works best when the GPS signal is strong. The aircraft utilizes the GPS and Obstacle Sensing System to automatically stabilize itself, navigate between obstacles or track a moving object. Advanced features such as TapFly and ActiveTrack are enabled in this mode.
A-Mode:
When neither the GPS nor the Obstacle Sensing System is available, the aircraft will only use its barometer for positioning to control the altitude.

Since most people would never fly when GPS is not strong, why would you ever use A-Mode? Is it for people who would just not care about GPS lock and would want to risk flying anyway?

BTW, I didn't realize that for my first few flights, I had it in A-mode. Flew it fine, thank goodness, but I will keep it in P-Mode now.

2016-4-17
Use props
Jkeller84
Second Officer
Flight distance : 396955 ft
  • >>>
United States

It is always handy to learn to fly in ATTI mode. If something malfunctions with the GPS system (what most people refer to a fly-a-way), then you would flip to ATTI mode and be able to regain control of the machine. This mode is affected by wind and other factors, so it is important to practice in open fields in case of emergency.
2016-4-17
Use props
TK-421
Banned

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2016-4-17
Use props
Advocate
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1076909 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

So far I've been too scared to try and fly in atti mode, but what you're saying about GPS problems and fly always makes sense.  Can I just ask one question?  Is atti mode inherently unstable? Or is it just that it flys without GPS but still uses the gyro and other sensors to give some stability?  I'm worried I switch to atti mode and my P4 instantly crashes, and I don't want that obviously.
2016-4-18
Use props
FatedFilmsNC
lvl.4

United States

Practice in a very clear, open place and do an auto take off and just go from there, see how it reacts, see how stable it is, etc. Just make sure its not on a windy day!
2016-4-18
Use props
birdingbilly
lvl.3
Flight distance : 843369 ft
United Kingdom

If you loose gps am I correct in thinking that the position of the drone will not be shown on the map view and is it also the case that the radar view will not show the orientation of the drone ?
2016-4-18
Use props
Maintsuper77
New

Canada

When you practice to fly in atti mode or sport do not fly close to the ground. Go in a open field and be at least 30 feet up and start slow practice your flying skills, this will save your craft and possible damage to others. Don't depend only on your equipment and learn to fly. Once you become good at it you will use atti more often.
2016-4-18
Use props
johnsr
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1579022 ft
France

If you think about what is happening in P-GPS mode, you will understand why A-mode is interesting. As you hover somewhere in P-GPS mode, you will notice that the craft slowly drifts about randomly within an area of a few meters. This random GPS drift will be the cause of a slight yaw jitter as you fly a straight line in this mode. You don't see this until you look at your video later. Switch to A-mode and you will notice that the only drift is due to the wind. If you have the skill to compensate for this drift, the straight line flight will no longer have this tiny yaw jitter. Next fly at some speed in P-GPS mode and release the right stick. The craft will come to an abrupt halt. Do the same in A-mode and it will continue to drift forward until you gently brake. These argue for smoother movements in A-mode; if there is no significant wind.
Have fun & good flying!
2016-4-19
Use props
Zabalero
New
Flight distance : 752743 ft
Spain

I love ATTI mode.
In fact I'm very disappointed my recently bought Mavic Pro Platinum doesn't have it and I'm thinking about returning it for this.
ATTI mode is pilot controlling the drone, and not just the drone controlling itself.
2019-7-23
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

The old DJI drones had MANUAL mode.  What fun!  That's ATTI with a twist - no altimeter gyro trying to keep you level with the ground.  

You want to do a loop like Snoopy and the Red Baron?  A barrel roll?  You want to slip in and out of IOC instantaneously on the fly without a cumbersome app to distract you?  Piece of cake.

Keep the Mavic and get a used P2.  They're dirt cheap, easy to fix, and fly like a dream.  
2019-7-23
Use props
AntDX316
First Officer
Flight distance : 3394731 ft
  • >>>
United States

Can you RTH in atti mode when you "have"  GPS signal?
2019-7-23
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

AntDX316 Posted at 7-23 18:14

I could tell you but you never believe me.
So I'll just suggest a little testing in an open area should help you find the answer.
2019-7-23
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Flight distance : 1087530 ft
Czechia

OK ... here is where confusion reigns ... and I am surprised that more experienced Phantom posters haven't mentioned it ...

A-Mode and ATTI .......

There are TWO versions of this ...
1. where the AC detects loss of GPS and drops out of P-Mode ... this is a factory default setting and will not RTH. You will have to fly it totally manually and hopefully compass will still be active to allow you to follow direction on screen IF BVLOS
2. where YOU as pilot switch to A-Mode deliberately to practice manual flying ... you will STILL have GPS and RTH will still work.

Why would you want to deliberately switch to A-Mode ? For me - I do occasionally to liven up flying the Phantom, just flying in P-Mode is boring and 'safe' - but occasional switch to A-Mode makes the flight more of YOUR ability to control and manoeuvre. It also gives you a little more confidence if anything should cause it to drop to ATTI during a flight.
2019-7-24
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

solentlife Posted at 7-24 01:27
OK ... here is where confusion reigns ... and I am surprised that more experienced Phantom posters haven't mentioned it ...

A-Mode and ATTI .......

1. where the AC detects loss of GPS and drops out of P-Mode ...
The Phantom does not detect loss of GPS and drop out of P mode.
It simply can't do P-GPS without GPS
Atti mode is P-GPS without GPS ... whether you switch to atti mode or are forced into it.
2019-7-24
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

solentlife Posted at 7-24 01:27

A-Mode and ATTI .......

You're right - I'm used to speaking in P2 phrases which aren't as descriptive.  With the P2s, ATTI was what was described for two different modes - one deliberately switched which included the ability to sense GPS but ignore GPS (unless it lost the control signal), the second was involuntary due to less than 6 GPS satellites.

Starting with the P3, we have A-mode which is deliberate, and we have ATTI which is not deliberate.  

I will sometimes go to ATTI (A-mode) on the way home when I have the wind at my back.  ATTI (A-mode) is sports mode for the P2 without satellites mucking with your flight path.  The speed is significantly faster.  My top speed is 65 mph IIRC.  But that's with a P2.  Apparently this speed increase was disabled with the P3 - but brought back in a different way with the P4.  I have never tested A-mode in this way with my P3P.

Another reason to choose ATTI (A-mode) might be because you're flying in dense woods and the GPS lock keeps going in and out causing the AC to jerk and twitch unexpectedly.  This is not a good thing if you're flying near trees and brush.  A-mode makes a smoother flight.  There are no brakes though, so it might take some practice.  

Sometimes I have to launch in ATTI because I'm surrounded by trees.  It pops into GPS mode when I gain some height.  I have to be careful to ensure the homepoint is marked correctly.  My drone involuntarily goes to ATTI sometimes when I'm descending for the same reason.  It can be difficult to land in ATTI in windy conditions becauses there are objects all around me and the AC wants to float with the wind like a balloon.  
2019-7-24
Use props
Mark Weiss
Second Officer
United States

In A (ATTI) mode, you can fly with a tailwind and easily hit higher speeds than the aircraft will do in P or S modes. As has been mentioned, ATTI is good practice for GPS failure and knowing how to compensate for wind direction. I tried it many times and recently practiced on a very windy day for a more interesting challenge.
2019-7-24
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Flight distance : 1087530 ft
Czechia

As Mark and I show ... there are two distinct versions of the A function (I'm trying to avoid using word MODE) ...

Deliberate choice of Pilot to suit flight terrain / pattern required ... and the default that FW does when it looses positional GPS data.

How anyone likes to describe or ascribe terminology does not change the fact of the two forms.

Answering some :

Yes as long as Home Point was recorded on take-off and GPS lock is active. See manual.

If you loose gps am I correct in thinking that the position of the drone will not be shown on the map view and is it also the case that the radar view will not show the orientation of the drone ?

That two questions really ... first - if GPS is lost - then there is no positional data to show drones position. But as long as Compass is still reporting to the drone - then there is no reason orientation cannot be still shown, BUT the problem becomes how it can relate to your position on the ground. It has no way to know where in relation to you it is... other than the last shown GPS position ... and your VLOS of the drone.

2019-7-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules