request to add app feature
1287 22 2016-4-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
B.K.
lvl.1

United States

Ok, I crashed my drone by stopping the motors in-flight using the control sticks.  I'll spare you the details of my own stupidity that led to the crash.  The result was not pretty.  

Question for DJI.  Can you put a check in the app to say "Warning, your altitude is currently X fee/meters.  Are you sure you want to shut down motors?"

I searched the online forum and didn't see any threads on this.

2016-4-18
Use props
microcyb
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1095955 ft
United States

I have requested that same thing.  An option to disable the CSC stick motor kill in mid flight.
Response basically is don't do it.
2016-4-18
Use props
DJI-Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft
Hong Kong

Sorry for your crash. I'll try to pass it to our developers for future considerations.
2016-4-18
Use props
B.K.
lvl.1

United States

Thanks DJI-Paladin.  I do hope the development team will implement this feature.  I can't say I know the app code-base, but judging from some of the stuff you guys have implemented, this has got to be fairly simple and would save some of us a trip to the repair shop.
2016-4-19
Use props
connorschulte
lvl.3
Flight distance : 261033 ft
United States

DJI-Paladin Posted at 2016-4-19 02:17
Sorry for your crash. I'll try to pass it to our developers for future considerations.

yes! please do that.
2016-4-19
Use props
jyurkyandsons
lvl.2

United States

B.K. Posted at 2016-4-20 00:32
Thanks DJI-Paladin.  I do hope the development team will implement this feature.  I can't say I know ...

I'd like to hear the details did it drop like a rock or tumble end over end and how high were you,  this is why no one  touches my controller,  I can see how easy it would be to do this o shitfactor in 3 seconds,  wondering if this feature is part of the firmware .
2016-4-19
Use props
fsong00
lvl.4
Flight distance : 7573041 ft
  • >>>

Sorry to hear this. My question is after you used the stick sequence (CSC) to shut down the power in the air, should use the same stick sequence to manual start the drone in the air? Can the drone regain the flight status back while dropping?
2016-4-19
Use props
B.K.
lvl.1

United States

jyurkyandsons Posted at 2016-4-20 02:59
I'd like to hear the details did it drop like a rock or tumble end over end and how high were you, ...

70 foot up.  Dropped like a rock.  Definitely doesn't float gently down.  It hit legs first.  Legs aren't very strong so they collapsed, which allowed he camera to hit and snap off.  Unit has been repaired and is enroute from DJI.  Will test this weekend.
2016-4-20
Use props
evsjas
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1995479 ft
United States

That would be one of the best things they could do to the Dji-go app
2016-4-20
Use props
frank.dellaert
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4804163 ft
  • >>>
Belgium

Problem is that CSC-procedure is meant as a last action for someone in despair like when your drone is flying right into a disastrous place. Do you really want that extra question then that could mean just enough loss of time to not prevent disaster anymore.
It would be a bit like installing a safeguard in your car that gives you a warning when you push your brake very hard at high speed: "Sir, madam, braking at this speed can cause all kinds of trouble, are you sure you want to brake now ?"....
2016-4-20
Use props
daviskw2004
lvl.4
Flight distance : 12890 ft
  • >>>

There is a small plastic device you can buy that will physically prevent CSC... If fits down over a control rod.

Butch
2016-4-20
Use props
B.K.
lvl.1

United States

frank.dellaert Posted at 2016-4-21 00:35
Problem is that CSC-procedure is meant as a last action for someone in despair like when your drone  ...

Yes, I would want that verification even if I was at the point of last resort.  That said, I'm not hearing a lot of folks having a need to purposefully shut off their drone's motors in mid-flight.  I think folks would try other evasive actions before resorting to shut off.  
2016-4-20
Use props
gtokarsk
Second Officer
Flight distance : 14869882 ft
United States

I requested ability to disable that feature as well, but then again, I can see them wanting to have a quick way to emergency kill motors... On many other aircragts that use say "spektrum radios" there's a kill motor button. Yes, there's a risk of pressing it by accident, but if the placement on the transmitter is right, that risk should be minimal. Keep in mind if you have an emergency, you do not want to definitely do the "yes, i confirm", as u want it immediately, but then again... risk of accidental shutdown... perhaps it could be a long press of radio power and rth button? I would VERY much like if every person who considers this a problem, would open a case with DJI... I have heard about this issue enough, where I think it needs to be addressed.. a $100 aircraft falling out of the sky by accident.. not happy!
Another option would certainly be that this option is disabled unless u r within x feet of the ground, put that option in the app?
A long press of C1 and C2 could be another option.. but I can see a new pilot accidentally holding these buttons unknowingly....
It is a hard issue to resolve well, but I think it's a pressing one!
2016-4-20
Use props
B.K.
lvl.1

United States

gtokarsk Posted at 2016-4-21 02:30
I requested ability to disable that feature as well, but then again, I can see them wanting to have  ...

I'd love to hear how many folks actually  had an emergency need to disable the motors while the aircraft was in flight.  Wonder if that is a real issue or just perceived?   I could see that happening with an RC aircraft that doesn't have the ability  to hover....but quads can hover.

And even if they did have a need to disable, was the need really so instantaneous that they could take a split second to tap OK on their screen?

i'm skeptical.  
2016-4-20
Use props
AG0N-Gary
First Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

This is a safety device that would effectively be disabled if you had to confirm the action.  It needs to be done differently, but not done away with.  This change was made available on the P4, and I'd like to see it happen for the P3, but it should never be eliminated.
2016-4-20
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

B.K. Posted at 2016-4-21 05:10
I'd love to hear how many folks actually  had an emergency need to disable the motors while the ai ...

If you flip your aircraft upon landing and it is sitting there with the motor held fast and smoke coming out of the motor, then I imagine you might want a fast way to stop the motor.
2016-4-20
Use props
jyurkyandsons
lvl.2

United States

B.K. Posted at 2016-4-20 21:37
70 foot up.  Dropped like a rock.  Definitely doesn't float gently down.  It hit legs first.  Legs ...

Thanks for sharing have a safe and fun time this weekend.
2016-4-20
Use props
B.K.
lvl.1

United States

Geebax Posted at 2016-4-21 07:14
If you flip your aircraft upon landing and it is sitting there with the motor held fast and smoke  ...

I think that's a great use case, but very different than a craft being high up in the air.  The app could easily be smart enough to enable quick kill when the craft is on the ground and ask for confirmation when you are beyond a certain height.
2016-4-21
Use props
scschulte
lvl.2
Flight distance : 159370 ft
United States

daviskw2004 Posted at 2016-4-20 12:00
There is a small plastic device you can buy that will physically prevent CSC... If fits down over a  ...

Could you tell me where to purchase that?  I would get it immediately!  I imagine it would go over the right stick? (With left stick being up-down, right being forward-reverse)--  Even if it restricted some motion in flight-- it would give me a lot of confidence that I wouldn't shut down my P3Standard while in flight--!

Thanks,   Steve   Thursday 21 April 2016 16:06
2016-4-21
Use props
Desertdude
lvl.2

United States

B.K. Why would you do that to begin with?
2016-4-21
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

B.K. Posted at 2016-4-22 06:35
I think that's a great use case, but very different than a craft being high up in the air.  The ap ...

Here's another case. You are at 300 feet and suddenly find you are in the path of an approaching helicopter, the normal rate of descent is too slow, so you elect to CSC and get out of the way.
2016-4-21
Use props
daviskw2004
lvl.4
Flight distance : 12890 ft
  • >>>

scschulte Posted at 2016-4-22 05:06
Could you tell me where to purchase that?  I would get it immediately!  I imagine it would go over ...

Here ya go steve

HERE
2016-4-24
Use props
scschulte
lvl.2
Flight distance : 159370 ft
United States

GOT IT and already ordered it!! -- really appreciate it!  Thanks!

Sunday 24 April 2016
Steve
2016-4-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules