Firmware Update Dilemma
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
anthony.radford
lvl.1

United States

Hello all, I am a newbie Phantom owner/flyer (but not a noob quadcopter pilot.) I have been flying other "hobby grade" quads for a while- Syma X5c, Blade Nano QX, Blade 180 QX, Dromida Vista, just to name a few...

Ok- I recently bought a Phantom 3 Professional. I got the message that there was an update for the firmware, so without researching into to, I updated my Controller's firmware from 1.5 to 1.6.  I then found out I can not fly my aircraft until I update its firmware as well.  

Here's the problem: my camera and gimbal are heavily damaged from a crash. In fact, the camera and arm have been broken off of the gimbal base.  In order to update the aircraft firmware, you have to put the .bin on the SD card and insert it into the gimbal.  My update starts and runs for about a minute, and then stops, and tries to restart a moment later.

This is very frustrating, as I have even let it run for over 5 hours straight, trying to get it to update.  But it won't even update long enough to place the "hidden" log!

So, the only way I can fly is to update the aircraft somehow, or downgrade the Controller. Any ideas? I have asked Support, but have not gotten much useable help...  Please help!  Otherwise, I have a $1000 paper weight!
2016-4-22
Use props
quickpoint
lvl.4

United States

if the gimbal is too damaged you may not be able to update it.   there is a way to downgrade the remote.   i am not familiar with downgrading procedures.   i will poke around tonight looking for a guide for you.   if ken or paladin could chime in would be a great time
2016-4-22
Use props
quickpoint
lvl.4

United States

straight from DJI ken from another thread about downgrading!

As Donnie stated, you can downgrade the aircraft to 1.7 just the same as you upgraded. And the RC you will need to downgrade to 1.5.8. You can do this from the home page RC ON and connected to the device via USB cable, and aircraft OFF and the upper right corner is the Academy icon (graduation hat)
Press that for 5 seconds and it will bring up the RC downgrade page and just follow the instructions.

BUT, why do you say it's less stable. Can you please give examples.
Thanks.
2016-4-22
Use props
DJI-Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft
Hong Kong

Hello anthony, I'd suggest you to contact our north american office and send the drone for the RMA because the gimbal is heavily damaged.
Email: support.us@dji.com
Phone: +1 (818) 235 0789  
Mon-Fri 9:00 am - 5:00 pm (PST)
2016-4-23
Use props
lesliehopcroft
New

United Kingdom

quickpoint Posted at 2016-4-23 06:01
straight from DJI ken from another thread about downgrading!

Hi
Apologies I am not very technical
I uploaded the latest firmware as prompted by the RC (Yesterday)and now i get a message on DJI GO that the aircraft is disconnected  and i have absolutely no idea how to resolve this can you help?The information booklet tell me to press link button (14) but i can't see any such button in the place described ....sorry to go on and on
best regards
Les
2016-4-23
Use props
anthony.radford
lvl.1

United States

@quickpoint - I just wanted to give you a big THANK YOU!  You're advice and process worked for my controller. Where I am unable to update my aircraft, your steps helped me downgrade my controller.  It now connects and activates again. Going to test fly first thing in the morning!
2016-4-23
Use props
anthony.radford
lvl.1

United States

@paladin- thank you for recommending to send it in. I did however buy my aircraft second hand, so I don't know what "rights" I have with rma/warranty. I know I need the gimbal and camera replaced, but I'm assuming I'll have to pay for that, and it will be a while before I can afford another $300...  
2016-4-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules