Traveling with the drone
2621 21 2016-4-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
classic2003
lvl.2
Flight distance : 632769 ft
Canada

If i'm travelling by air plane of just a road trip with the drone do i need to register it?  
2016-4-24
Use props
Kalifornia
Ban Posts

United States

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2016-4-24
Use props
classic2003
lvl.2
Canada

Oh but when they ask me what the batteries are for what do i say?
2016-4-24
Use props
Moshe.mmm
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1320098 ft
  • >>>

Is it better to carry the drone on hand luggage or by the suitcase?
2016-4-24
Use props
classic2003
lvl.2
Canada

I would keep it in hand luggage so i can be sure it doesn't get stolen or break
2016-4-24
Use props
DJI-Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft
Hong Kong

classic2003@sym Posted at 2016-4-25 08:54
I would keep it in hand luggage so i can be sure it doesn't get stolen or break

Hello classic2003, you can contact our airline and ask them for further information. What's more, if you want to carry the battery on airplane, please follow this tip: 电池上飞机.JPG
2016-4-24
Use props
nocturnal_flip
lvl.1

United States

I'm traveling on a plane this coming June out of the US and I bought a suitcase-like case from Go Professional Cases that can fit on the overhead compartment... So hopefully I won't get much of a trouble...
2016-4-25
Use props
phantom-four.co
lvl.2

Croatia

We just published an article about travelling with your Phantom. Although a lot of info has already been given here it has some additional info and might be convenient for future reference.
One thing of the things that wasnt mentioned here yet and is often overlooked; your RC also has a lipo battery so make sure to discharge it and carry it in your hand luggage.

2016-4-25
Use props
classic2003
lvl.2
Canada

But we can't discharge it all the way or it will be damaged.. How much should we discharge it?
2016-4-25
Use props
phantom-four.co
lvl.2

Croatia

classic2003@sym Posted at 2016-4-25 13:07
But we can't discharge it all the way or it will be damaged.. How much should we discharge it?

Below 30%. That's for all lipo batteries
2016-4-25
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

classic2003@sym Posted at 2016-4-25 21:07

Check your airline's website to see what they say about batteries.
The FAA, IATA and every airline I've checked makes no reference to discharging batteries.
It seems to be a forum myth.
No-one at the airport will ever ask to check the charge level.
2016-4-25
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

phantom-four.co Posted at 2016-4-25 19:00
We just published an article about travelling with your Phantom. Although a lot of info has already  ...

Can you find just one airline website that mentions anything about the charge level or lipo bags for Lipo batteries?
WHere did this myth come from?
Lipo batteries are in everyone's mobile phone, laptop and camera.
Do you think everyone discharges them as well?

2016-4-25
Use props
REMOVE DC NFZ
lvl.3
Flight distance : 942671 ft
United States

I recently travel to Jamaica with my Ph3P in the hard case knapsack style. I take the drone as a carry on bag and give them very little information because if you say the wrong thing...that's it man... your going to miss your flight. Everybody at the airport have there own interpretation about drones and all you need it someone that don't like them.   Going through TSA is the lease of your problem. I recommend covering any drone symbol and wearing it on your back when dealing with custom officer.
2016-4-25
Use props
phantom-four.co
lvl.2

Croatia

labroides@yahoo Posted at 2016-4-25 14:36
Can you find just one airline website that mentions anything about the charge level or lipo bags f ...

state of charge: https://www.iata.org/whatwedo/ca ... ocument-2016-en.pdf

As also stated in the article, lipo bags are our recommendation. Their recommendation is separately packed in nonconductive material. However, a plastic bag is nonconductive but offers no additional protection.

And do I think everybody discharges laptops? No. Do I want to risk running into a power tripping TSA officer when I fly to the US? No, thanks. I'd rather risk my laptop battery. It's cheaper to replace.
2016-4-25
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

phantom-four.co Posted at 2016-4-26 01:51

As also stated in the ar ...

Yes ... that's the IATA notes on Lithium batteries shipped as freight.
It does not apply to passengers carry-on luggege.

I'm still looking to find any passenger airline recommending partial discharge or Lipo bags for batteries in passenger's carry-on luggage, and can't find any.
Here's an example of what you find:  www.britishairways.com/cms/global/pdfs/lithium_battery.pdf
They are all concerned about the size of battery (<100Wh) and that it is protected from short circuits.
But no airline is advising that you discharge your batteries to carry them on the plane with you.

Your Phantom batteries are subject to the same rules as the batteries in your camera, laptop, iPad, iPod etc etc.
2016-4-25
Use props
Drone Man
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3896588 ft

No issues with scanner or TSA,
I just flew;
ABQ, SAN, OGG, OGG, SAN, ABQ
Not even a raised eyebrow.  
2016-4-25
Use props
classic2003
lvl.2
Canada

Okay perfect thankyou!
2016-4-25
Use props
mgoyette
lvl.1
Canada

As for the faa registering does anybody knows if a tourist must register....i am canadian travelling to alaska ....own a phantom 4
2016-4-25
Use props
mgoyette
lvl.1
Canada

I am canadian travelling to alaska ....do i need to register my phantom 4??? Sorry about double asking....my app malfunctioned
2016-4-25
Use props
phantom-four.co
lvl.2

United States

phantom-four.co Posted at 2016-4-25 17:51

As also stated in the ar ...

In IATA documentation shipped refers to transported in general. Not sure anymore which document they clarify that in but feel free to go through them yourself. I've seen too many of them and once was enough for me
2016-4-26
Use props
phantom-four.co
lvl.2

United States

mgoyette Posted at 2016-4-26 05:17
I am canadian travelling to alaska ....do i need to register my phantom 4??? Sorry about double aski ...

Yes. There was a post about that either here or on PP. It needs to be registered when you fly it in the US
2016-4-26
Use props
SAFrankSU
lvl.3
United States

I have gone through airports with fully charged batteries. TSA didn't give a hoot. 2 TB48s and 2 TB47s.

I also have a suitcase big enough to hold the entire DJI Inspire case (that you get when purchasing the drone). Fits perfectly and it tips the scales at 40lbs. There's even wiggle room for extra stuff to throw in.
2016-6-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules