Active Track + Avoidance ? Down she went....
951 10 2016-4-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Eye in the Sky
lvl.2
Flight distance : 25046 ft
United States

When using Active Track (follow me) does the Advoidance system work as well?
I was riding my bike on a paved tail with the P4 following me  - then suddenly I heard the alarm sound from the controller, then it hit a tree branch.. down it came..

I did have the Advoidance turned on.. Using in "P" mode.. Lastest Firmware, with lastest DJO Go app...

Really was not going fast at all - no time at all for the P4 to move down....

Had to re-calibrate Gimbal, but seems ok....  may send it in for a check...

Any thoughts on why it did not move around that tree branch????????

Thanks !!!
2016-4-25
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Can you post the video from the flight?
2016-4-25
Use props
Eye in the Sky
lvl.2
United States

Geebax Posted at 2016-4-25 20:46
Can you post the video from the flight?

Sure give me a few mins....
2016-4-25
Use props
Eye in the Sky
lvl.2
United States

Here is the video of 10 secs before crash....  Look at the tree branch right before the crash...

2016-4-25
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Eye in the Sky Posted at 2016-4-26 11:01
Here is the video of 10 secs before crash....  Look at the tree branch right before the crash...

Yes, it is a pity it did not continue a little longer, as we get no idea of whether the P4 handled seeing the branch or not. But, just a a guess, it would not have dealt with it anyway, as it always tries to climb over an obstacle, and in that case it would have climbed into the branches.
2016-4-25
Use props
joey.lopina
lvl.3
Flight distance : 498839 ft

My opinion is that the P4 didn't sense the branch.
2016-4-25
Use props
Eye in the Sky
lvl.2
United States

joey.lopina Posted at 2016-4-25 21:37
My opinion is that the P4 didn't sense the branch.

I heard the beep right when it hit.....   How do you even test the system out without taking that risk of hitting something....   In F-Tracking mode it should of stopped... Correct??
2016-4-25
Use props
joey.lopina
lvl.3
Flight distance : 498839 ft

Eye in the Sky Posted at 2016-4-26 09:44
I heard the beep right when it hit.....   How do you even test the system out without taking that  ...

I'm guessing that the "beep" happened right about the same time that it hit the branch.  Possibly sensing a bigger portion of the branch as it hit.  
2016-4-25
Use props
Kneepuck
Second Officer
Flight distance : 275105 ft
United States

From all that I have read,  it is far more adept at sensing obstacles like walls or people that small branches and power lines.  I imagine the advertising department bigged up the abilities a bit.
2016-4-25
Use props
david.p.mann
Second Officer
Flight distance : 18669501 ft
  • >>>
United States

In my limited testing of the P4 obstacle avoidance system, it can reliably sense and auto-stop before hitting a solid object at least 1 foot in diameter.  Examples include a wall, a street sign, and myself (human guinea pig).  It will also reliably sense the canopy of even a small tree IF the P4 is flying toward more or less the center of the tree canopy. And it will usually sense a chain link fence. In my testing, the obstacle avoidance system will NOT reliably sense an individual branch or even several closely-spaced leafless branches, or a cable/wire, or any obstacle to the left or right or anything more than ~20 degree angle above or below the aircraft.
2016-4-25
Use props
DJI-Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft
Hong Kong

Hello, I'd suggest you to sync the flight record and download the flight data from the drone.Then send them to support.us@dji.com for analysis.
2016-4-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules