Phantom 3 Professional motor replacement
2189 15 2016-4-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
sevadu
lvl.2

Netherlands

I've searched on this forum as well as on Youtube, but I can't seem to find any tutorial or video on how to replace a motor on a P3P.

After my little accident (http://forum.dji.com/thread-50662-1-1.html) I'd like to replace, but of course I don't want to mess up.

If there's anyone who has clear instructions for a guy who never opened a P3 or even took out a screw of this bird, please let me know!

Thank you.

2016-4-26
Use props
DJI-Tim
DJI team

Hong Kong

Hi Sevadu!  I'd recommend you to send it to our EU office for a professional repair. GERMANY
+49 (0) 9771-177 3000
Mon-Fri 9:00AM - 3:00PM (GMT+1)
2016-4-27
Use props
jcripps91
lvl.2
Flight distance : 15860 ft

United States

If you know how to use a soldering iron, it's a easy process. Don't be afraid to do it yourself. If you need help PM me, I'll guide you thru it.
2016-4-27
Use props
Maxi3D
Second Officer
Flight distance : 307621 ft
  • >>>
United States

jcripps91 Posted at 2016-4-27 07:37
If you know how to use a soldering iron, it's a easy process. Don't be afraid to do it yourself. If  ...

There is nothing more satisfying than fixing a copter yourself. That's if it is out-of-warranty.   
2016-4-27
Use props
jcripps91
lvl.2

United States

Maxi3D Posted at 2016-4-27 08:45
There is nothing more satisfying than fixing a copter yourself. That's if it is out-of-warranty.   ...

I agree. Both of my Phantoms (1 and 3P) were purchased used and damaged. Repaired them myself and therefor have a real good understanding of them inside and out.
2016-4-27
Use props
JtrJr-UAV Pilot
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4341 ft
United States

Sev,

I'd PM jcripps91. That's the beauty of these forums, somebody is always willing to go above and beyond.

jcripps91, that was a stand-up thing to offer! Thank you!

Jerry
2016-4-27
Use props
jcripps91
lvl.2

United States

JtrJr-UAV Pilot Posted at 2016-4-27 08:56
Sev,

I'd PM jcripps91. That's the beauty of these forums, somebody is always willing to go above an ...

Aren't we all here to help? Would be great if that were actually the case. Thanks aren't needed but appreciated.
2016-4-27
Use props
JtrJr-UAV Pilot
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4341 ft
United States

jcripps91 Posted at 2016-4-27 09:01
Aren't we all here to help? Would be great if that were actually the case. Thanks aren't needed bu ...

Jc,

Many of us are! I know thanks are not needed but I also know from my own experiences that they do go a long way in continuing to try to help others.

Jerry
2016-4-27
Use props
sevadu
lvl.2

Netherlands

Gentlemen, thank you!
2016-4-27
Use props
sevadu
lvl.2

Netherlands

Sorry, the reply above was sent a bit too quick and I can't find an edit button on my iPhone Safari browser. @DJI-Tim, I tried to contact the EU Support but got 2 mail errors. Even the US Support gave an error by email. @jcripps91, do you think you can walk through someone who never even soldered? I appreciate the help!
2016-4-27
Use props
jcripps91
lvl.2

United States

Yes, shouldn't be a problem
2016-4-28
Use props
sevadu
lvl.2

Netherlands

jcripps91 Posted at 2016-4-28 11:15
Yes, shouldn't be a problem

Awesome, thank you!!

Of course I hate not being able to fly, and I want to know how bad (if at all) the motor has been damaged. It has me in a dilemma of "should I try power up the P3P with the risk of 1 motor not working properly or should I just try it?"

This dilemma brought me on a somewhat crazy idea. I believe visuals are easier to understand than a whole bunch of text, so I've tried to visualize my idea. Please don't mind the extremely amateuristic look of this. It's only to visualize the thought, and I believe that simple drawings are often best understood.

This is supposed to be part of my backyard. Door, little couch, fence left, fence right. What if I would tightly stretch a rope (the purple horizontal line) between the fences, and attach another rope from there to the P3P (vertical). The rope length to the P3P (A) must be shorter than the height (from the ground) of the horizontal rope; that height is B.

If I will try a hand take off (hand landings I've done before) and gently increase the upward throttle, 2 things can happen. Either all motors work fine and the P3P will be limited in its altitude by the rope (A). Or a motor doesn't properly work and the P3P wants to make strange maneuvres and wants to crash. In that case it won't land on the ground since the attached rope is too short to hit the ground. Of course I need to get the **** out of its way to not get cut by the props and perform CSC immediately. But then the P3P will just hang upside down instead of crash landing. Key will be to GENTLY increase the upward throttle, and not let the vertical rope become tight, because then it will have a pulling effect on the P3P, causing a 'mid-air tip over'. The rope needs to have enough length for the P3P to have some space to see what happens, yet at the same time short enough to prevent the P3P from hitting the ground.

Perhaps this is a 'controlled' setting for others to use for other test as well.

Motor works fine

Motor works fine

Motor isn't fine

Motor isn't fine
2016-4-28
Use props
jcripps91
lvl.2

United States

I believe you are over thinking it, and creating way more work than is necessary. Why not just remove the camera and gimbal from the craft, so that if it does crash it won't be damaged, it will fly without it, then just try an auto takeoff and hover? If something is wrong, just land it or even try to hand catch it, and if it does fine, then great! Me personally, if I had the money to spend on new motors, I would get a set, all 4, and just replace them, it really is an easy procedure to do yourself. But if you have the extra time and enough string, go for it.
2016-4-28
Use props
sevadu
lvl.2

Netherlands

jcripps91 Posted at 2016-4-28 23:29
I believe you are over thinking it, and creating way more work than is necessary. Why not just remov ...

LOL, over thinking is one of my bad habits.

I've ordered 1 motor so far, as I believe only 1 isn't working as it should. In my other thread I posted a video of the sound the motors make, and when turning by hand, 3 are sounding the same and 1 sounds different. Replacing 4 motors means also more chance to screw something up.

Nevertheless I will PM you as you offered, when I get the motor delivered. Thanks!!
2016-4-28
Use props
jcripps91
lvl.2

United States

You're welcome
2016-4-28
Use props
sevadu
lvl.2

Netherlands

Little update:

I couldn't resist doing a little test. Instead of 'buidling' the setting as I drawed in an earlier post, I just decided to go to a spot nearby my house (found it while walking the dog) where the bird could launch from a level area, but lots of grass around to minimize the damage in case of a crash. A bit nervous when I started the P3P by CSC, and then when I took off. To my great relief nothing seemed to be wrong and I flew around for a bit. Kept going well so I went for the 500m limit I still have put in the settings. All went well!

Another flight over the heath today and again all went well. Still need a few flights to regain full confidence. A nagging invoice inside my head still says "the motor will give up sooner or later".

So jcripps91, I fortunately don't have to bother you for the replacement at the moment, and I hope I never have to. Thank you again!!
2016-5-1
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules