Factory lens filter not removable?
1553 17 2016-4-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
bigfootbuilt
lvl.1
Flight distance : 152710 ft
United States

I just received my P3A today and an supposed to get a shimpent of a 3 pack of filters that are to fit the P3A. The problem is, the stock filter on the lens will NOT come off. Is there something I'm doing wrong? Is it reverse threaded? Any more torque required to take it off counterclockwise would result in breaking the gimbal off the unit. Its just not possible. Do the replacement filters just pop on and off over the factory one? How does this work?
2016-4-30
Use props
rayrokni
Second Officer
Flight distance : 8139875 ft

Wrap elastic band around the filter and the using your fingers and not pliers, grasp it tightly and twist. It will come off. Mine was hard to remove too but this trick took care of it
2016-4-30
Use props
bigfootbuilt
lvl.1
United States

rayrokni Posted at 2016-4-30 22:17
Wrap elastic band around the filter and the using your fingers and not pliers, grasp it tightly and  ...

Is it reverse threads?
2016-4-30
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>

NO, the threads are not reversed. You have to hold it evenly spaced around the diameter of the lens or it won't come off. Use a zip tie or use three fingers evenly spaced around the diameter. it will come off but the harder you squeeze and it won't come off.
2016-4-30
Use props
bigfootbuilt
lvl.1
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-4-30 23:42
NO, the threads are not reversed. You have to hold it evenly spaced around the diameter of the len ...

I'm trying counterclockwise with everything I have and it's just frozen solid on there. I even resorted to channel locks (protected by rubber), and it won't budge.  I'm starting to wonder if they changed it to where it won't come off. Anyone else have this problem?
2016-4-30
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>

bigfootbuilt@ya Posted at 2016-5-1 11:58
I'm trying counterclockwise with everything I have and it's just frozen solid on there. I even res ...

Do not use channel locks, you will deform the threads and it will be even harder to get off. Try a zip tie.
2016-4-30
Use props
GaryDZ
lvl.3

United States

I found that even just the act of squeezing the ring slightly deforms it and makes it impossible to come off. Try "less is more". Put on a pair of nitrile gloves and gently squeeze it while turning.
2016-4-30
Use props
bigfootbuilt
lvl.1
United States

GaryDZ Posted at 2016-5-1 00:14
I found that even just the act of squeezing the ring slightly deforms it and makes it impossible to  ...

Thanks for the tips guys. Doesn't look like it's gonna happen though, without breaking the gimbal off the drone. If it is indeed threaded on, then they had to have torqued it to like 10,000 mile/pounds. Anyone know if there are filters out there that will just pop on the existing filter?
2016-4-30
Use props
rayrokni
Second Officer
United States

bigfootbuilt@ya Posted at 2016-5-1 13:18
Thanks for the tips guys. Doesn't look like it's gonna happen though, without breaking the gimbal  ...

Yes there are push on types that work without having to take off existing uv filter. You can find them on eBay our Amazon.
They are made of film vs the screw on glass! Quality it's not as good but a set will cost you around$20
2016-4-30
Use props
bigfootbuilt
lvl.1
United States

rayrokni Posted at 2016-5-1 01:50
Yes there are push on types that work without having to take off existing uv filter. You can find  ...

Thanks! I'll take a look.
2016-4-30
Use props
rayrokni
Second Officer

Here's it's an example

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B019AQM6IS/ph079-20
2016-4-30
Use props
DaveB68
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Same as you I bought slip on filters as I couldn't get the original off. Wasn't happy with them so just ordered the DJI screw on ones and had another crack at it...Funny thing is it came straight off no problems at all, pretty sure its just the way you hold it.
2016-4-30
Use props
rodger
First Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

Try rocking it in and out while applying a light pressure with your fingers. It will come off. There is an "O" Ring that holds the element in and it is a bit tight when the filter is bottomed out. Just a little pressure and don't squeeze the filter very hard while moving your fingers around the filter.
2016-5-1
Use props
JtrJr-UAV Pilot
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4341 ft
United States

Bigfoot,

Try this, just light pressure at the outer edge of the filter, not over the threaded area.

Jerry

2016-5-1
Use props
jipock
lvl.1

United States

JtrJr-UAV Pilot Posted at 2016-5-1 06:41
Bigfoot,

Try this, just light pressure at the outer edge of the filter, not over the threaded area. ...

I tried using that motor tool and it broke very easily. I have searched high and low to order a replacement with no luck.
2016-5-6
Use props
rayrokni
Second Officer
United States

jipock@gmail.co Posted at 2016-5-7 13:46
I tried using that motor tool and it broke very easily. I have searched high and low to order a re ...

If you Broke the locking tool for the props, then that's a good thing. You only need to hand tighten the props.
If you broke the uv lens then you can find replacement at dji store our Amazon.
2016-5-6
Use props
nigelw
Second Officer
Flight distance : 518084 ft
United Kingdom

jipock@gmail.co Posted at 2016-5-7 06:46
I tried using that motor tool and it broke very easily. I have searched high and low to order a re ...

Sorry, replied to the wrong person.
2016-5-7
Use props
nigelw
Second Officer
Flight distance : 518084 ft
United Kingdom

Try warming the filter with a hairdryer while keeping the body insulated with a damp cloth (not dripping wet), then using the palm of your hand press down on the face of the filter & turn counter-clockwise.  Do not grip the diameter of the filter with any force.
2016-5-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules