X5R Field & Post Work Flow...
1929 7 2016-5-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Nes
lvl.3

United States

Hey All. Just throwing this out there and see if we can collectively share what everyone is doing and what challenges/solutions have been found.

When shooting for work, I usually back up my work from the X5 on a hard drive, so that we always have one. Well now with the X5R, this has become quite the challenge.

1. You cant simply grab and insert the SSD card and dump footage (back up) onto a HD without running everything through Cinelight as the SSD card is not accessible on its own.
2. When starting Cinelight, in order to dump the footage, you have to literally stop all work in order to set time to dump footage as this process can take a very long time. Two 7:00 min files roughly took 45:00 minutes each to dump onto the hard drive. Thats an hour and a half of down time.

Anyone have any thoughts or advice...?
2016-5-3
Use props
Rob W
lvl.4
Flight distance : 94390 ft
  • >>>
Sweden

The SSD partition containing the video have a special filesystem, only readable by Cinelight, at least as of now. It do takes time to transfer the data as the filesizes are larger (uncompressed video). Perhaps they can trim the speed on the filesystem a bit, but I would not hold my breath. It is also depending on what disks you are copying the data to. If these disks are slow, they are the bottleneck in the transfer.

There are some proxy media on the SD card, though. So you could perhaps work with those files, just as proxys, to test cuts, music etc. while you wait on the RAW files. When the RAW files are done, you could import them for real in your editing software and transfer what you did with the proxy files to the RAW files. If I'm in a hurry, that is what I would do.
2016-5-3
Use props
str1776
lvl.3
Flight distance : 22530 ft
  • >>>
United States

Nes I have a question what Size is your SSD card and what will it max out to?
if you don't mind and what brand do you recommend a Lexar or Samsung your preference?
2016-5-4
Use props
Nes
lvl.3

United States

str1776 Posted at 2016-5-4 19:37
Nes I have a question what Size is your SSD card and what will it max out to?
if you don't mind and  ...

SSD card as in for the X5R? If so, its 512GB and will get about 30 min of footage.
2016-5-4
Use props
str1776
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

Nes Posted at 2016-5-4 22:50
SSD card as in for the X5R? If so, its 512GB and will get about 30 min of footage.

Wow! Not a cheap card Enjoy Nes cannot wait for Friday to have the PRO X5 deliveried.

2016-5-5
Use props
Nes
lvl.3

United States

str1776 Posted at 2016-5-5 06:36
Wow! Not a cheap card Enjoy Nes cannot wait for Friday to have the PRO X5 deliveried.

The pricing I would consider standard for an SSD card like this at 512gb. Footage is very impressive. You will just need to get used to the workflow. I don't know how you shoot, but I plan our shots and speed on the shots on multiple takes. If you are simply going to speed the entire time your flying, you're going to be bummed out when you go to transfer footage as there is a ton of data on there and will take a long time.

Excited for you. Enjoy!
2016-5-5
Use props
str1776
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

Hey Nes do you post any of your footage?, I'm a better pilot then Camera knowledge starting with the inspire1 4k  selling that to my Oldest Son. TheX5 camera with changeable lens and what you can do with the footage is going to  be like learning a new language, But with a forum like this and all the available recourses taking it slow I look forward to my new language.
hope you don't mind with all the questions I will try searching in the forums for questions already answered .
My Son is really into digital media with his occupation so he should have got the x5 not me or the X5r.
thanks again Nes talk soon
2016-5-5
Use props
Phoenixaerial
lvl.2
  • >>>
Canada

Whats the best export option when asked? to work with final cut
2016-5-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now