Anything I need to know before flying over water?
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
UFOJoe
lvl.1

United States

Any guidance? I'm getting adventureous and want to fly my P3A over water. I have read that I should turn off the Vision Positioning and I have also read that I don't need to do anything special...except maybe have my mermaid close by and rested.
2016-5-5
Use props
ARM-001
lvl.3
Flight distance : 666893 ft
United Kingdom

I would advise to start with a fully charged battery and wait until the battery has warmed to more than 25 degrees before flying over water. When you're over water, keep a close eye on your battery voltage. If it drops too low, bring it back in. Personally I also have a minimum battery charge of 40%, after which I'll bring it back over land.

Oh, and watch out for birds, they're not your friend!

Happy and safe flying.
2016-5-5
Use props
sevadu
lvl.2

Netherlands

Set your homepoint on a reasonable distance from the water, so the P3A won't accidentally land in water when RTH is used.

Golden rule (in my opinion): keep checking your battery all the time and don't push it. Bring the P3A back well in time. As always, first check the wind direction. In offshore wind, take into consideration that you will need more battery power to fight the wind when you bring the Phantom back.

Here are some useful links:

http://forum.dji.com/thread-36171-1-1.html

http://forum.dji.com/thread-47933-1-1.html
2016-5-5
Use props
skh1946
lvl.1
Flight distance : 126339 ft
United States

I'm getting a little braver over water, this one was about 200' out over water. But heed the warnings above, I brought it back early
https://stebon.smugmug.com/Drone-Videos/i-p4xpZnx
2016-5-5
Use props
MrPinaColada
lvl.4
Flight distance : 790082 ft

Just think that there is really no difference between water or dirt. if it crashes from 300 feet it's basically going to be unrecoverable, whether it lands in water or dirt.
2016-5-5
Use props
G_MEZ_G
lvl.3

MrPinaColada Posted at 2016-5-6 11:17
Just think that there is really no difference between water or dirt. if it crashes from 300 feet it' ...

You're totally right!
2016-5-5
Use props
dobmatt
First Officer
Flight distance : 1831050 ft
  • >>>
Canada

MrPinaColada Posted at 2016-5-6 11:17
Just think that there is really no difference between water or dirt. if it crashes from 300 feet it' ...

It's a different scenario when - say - lo batt or signal loss forces your bird to perform emergency landing. Note that you can tell her what to do when such things happen ...
2016-5-6
Use props
JtrJr-UAV Pilot
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4341 ft
United States

UFO,

DON'T GO IN THE WATER!

Jerry

2016-5-6
Use props
JtrJr-UAV Pilot
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4341 ft
United States

JtrJr-UAV Pilot Posted at 2016-5-6 16:29
UFO,

DON'T GO IN THE WATER!

Lakes too...(turn off the VPS)

Jerry

2016-5-6
Use props
TJ10
lvl.2

Canada

MrPinaColada Posted at 2016-5-5 23:17

Not if you have DJI Care, it'll be covered on the ground no matter where it falls from, unless it lands in water. DJI care doesn't cover water damage
2016-5-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules