Moving compass bad?
2421 14 2015-1-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
r.belding
lvl.1
Kuwait

So I picked up some new landing gear on amazon for $25. I had to move the compass and the 2 antennas are just dangling. I calibrated it and took it in a circle and zig-zagged about a hundred feet up for about 2 minutes and it seemed fine. Althouuuugh I am now reading conflicting reports about moving the compass even in the slightest, it will make the copter fly-away and explode with the force of 100 super novas.

I'm keeping the legs as vertical as possible as so to keep them as close to stock orientation as possible. I have the compass and it's removable backing off the stock landing gear incased in heat shrink and ziptied to the leg.

Am I safe? Thanks!

2015-1-17
Use props
Jamie Hellmich
lvl.4

United States

I would think it would fine so long as it cannot move during flight, and does not move between calibrations.  You might even want to put a bit of good double-sided tape between the shrink tube and leg.

What is the difference in weight for the new versus stock gear?
2015-1-17
Use props
kenargo
Second Officer
  • >>>
Canada

Orientation may also need to be maintained when it is mounted.  Orientation to north I mean.
2015-1-17
Use props
r.belding
lvl.1
Kuwait

Oh, I don't have a scale or anything to weigh with so I couldn't tell you. But Amazon bills this gear at 110g.

Thanks for the response.
2015-1-17
Use props
r.belding
lvl.1
Kuwait

kenargo Posted at 2015-1-18 07:22
Orientation may also need to be maintained when it is mounted.  Orientation to north I mean.

Yeah, like i said. It's as "where it used to be" as I could get it. So, we'll see I guess.

I do most of my flying over the water, so I'm a little weary.
2015-1-17
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

r.belding@gmail Posted at 2015-1-18 07:43
Yeah, like i said. It's as "where it used to be" as I could get it. So, we'll see I guess.

I do  ...

What does the IMU calibrations show when you do the advanced calibration?  Are they within the acceptable limits?
2015-1-17
Use props
rigo282011
New

United States

can the toilet bowl effect be corrected via software update and if Yes, when can we expect to get it?
MAGNETIC DECLINATION compensation as they call it
2015-1-17
Use props
Humboldt710
lvl.2

United States

Jamie Hellmich Posted at 2015-1-18 07:18
I would think it would fine so long as it cannot move during flight, and does not move between calib ...

Those are some heavy skids! Not too bad for their size though. The stock skids weigh 43g, so not that much lighter I guess.

My Hanger
Phantom 2w/H3-3D gimbal & GoPro Hero3+, 600mw 5.8vtx w/VAS BB Ultra, iOSDMini, Large Skids
Phantom 2 w/600tvl, 600mw 5.8vtx w/VAS BB Ultra, V2ESC's, MultiStar 2212 Motors, iOSD Mini, Custom Wood Skids &Paint
Lumenier QAV250 Carbon on 4S, Cobra 2204/1960Motors, KISS 18a ESC's, Aero Guard, CF Camera Mount, CC3D, FrSkyD4R-II, Mobius
Hubsan X4 Stock mini racer, Hubsan X4107DNon FPV(now) racer project, Taranis X9D w/external Antenna & 2200mah lipo, Dominator V2's w/goggle mod
Check Out My http://www.youtube.com/humboldt710 Channel
2015-1-18
Use props
markus2015
lvl.4

Germany

I once had that landing skid. My phantom acted crazy. After I put the stock skid back on, no more problems. Check out what my pphantom did with the compass at a different location.
2015-1-18
Use props
r.belding
lvl.1
United States

Gerry1124 Posted at 2015-1-18 08:34
What does the IMU calibrations show when you do the advanced calibration?  Are they within the acc ...

Well after getting this message over and over after just turning on the copter

I got this for legs close together

And this for having them spread out...

Are those acceptable numbers?
2015-1-19
Use props
r.belding
lvl.1
United States

I'd prefer to have them spread out, because they look like this close together...

I suppose I could try pigeon toeing them towards the back so the ends at the back are closer to each other? maybe that would clear my field of view?  
2015-1-19
Use props
r.belding
lvl.1
United States

markus2015 Posted at 2015-1-19 02:23
I once had that landing skid. My phantom acted crazy. After I put the stock skid back on, no more pr ...

Thats strange. Do you have a pic of where you moved your compass to? And what direction it was facing?

I flew my P2V+ for a full battery with no issues. Well, I did actually have a problem where I kept getting low battery warnings at 40% and then randomly after that it seemed. But only for warn warning "honk" then it would go away. I kept it close to me and low to the ground until the battery was almost drained to make see if it would fly-away. But did just fine.

Somebody who did a review of this gear on Amazon and hacked his old gear up so he could keep his compass in the same spot. He just found longer screws and threaded them trough boths sets of gear.  Maybe you could try that If you wanted to keep that gear?

2015-1-19
Use props
gerry1124.email
Second Officer

United States

r.belding@gmail Posted at 2015-1-19 21:37
Well after getting this message over and over after just turning on the copter

They are all within acceptable limits.
2015-1-19
Use props
r.belding
lvl.1
United States

Siiigh.... Now I can't enter compass calibration mode via the s1 switch. So I tried it through the Vision APP and it worked. Horizontal Spin, Get solid green,. Vertical Spin goes to flashing yellow....
2015-1-19
Use props
r.belding
lvl.1
United States

r.belding@gmail Posted at 2015-1-20 06:07
Siiigh.... Now I can't enter compass calibration mode via the s1 switch. So I tried it through the V ...

Which means that I'm dumb and didn't have satellites. Tried again WITH satellites and flashed green.  But now I wonder why my s1 switch isn't working
2015-1-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules