2809 42 2016-5-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
jason666
lvl.2

Netherlands

Hi guys,

Today it was scary!!!
I have my P3P for almost 6 months now and never had any problems.
Always updated the drone and the RC with latest firmwares.

Today i was flying and got an error in my screen, SIGNAL LOST!!
The video link was lost. I was lucky i could see the drone fly. This way i could fly it to me.

But i find it scary this error.
Anyone with this error? What could cause this?

thanks in advance

2016-5-8
Use props
PhanFran
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4804163 ft
  • >>>
Belgium

yThis is not an error. It just tells you that the connection between your Phantom and your RC is temporarily lost. It happens all the time in environments where there is electrical interference like powerlines or buildings with high-powered WiFi-transmitters.
Nothing to worry about if you have enabled RTH: if the loss of signal (not only for the video but also the remote control signal). In that case the pahnatom will automatically return to the point where it took off and will land there.
I'm a bit amazed that this is the first time you have this situation if you are already flying your phantom for 6 months. Are you always flying very close to yourself ?
2016-5-8
Use props
nigelw
Second Officer
Flight distance : 518084 ft
United Kingdom

How far away?  Obviously not very far if you could see it to fly.  Were you near possible sources of interference?
2016-5-8
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

"What could cause this?"

Lots of things but as you found out you still  had connection to the Phantom (you can confirm by seeing the green light on the controller - it's red if you have no connection).
You only lost the video signal, it's usual for this to go first.
You could still control the Phantom or you could have used the RTH button to bring it back.
If all  else failed, and you really did lose connection, the Phantom would come home after 3 secs with no signal.
You could even have triggered that by switching off the controller.

Practising RTH in an open area will give you more confidence to deal with tricky situation.
2016-5-8
Use props
jason666
lvl.2

Netherlands

I was flying about 400m away from a powerline, maybe that could caused the loss of signal.
Was the first time it happened so i did not know what kind of communication i still had.
Will have to practice with RTH to be prepared for the next time.
thanks guys!!
2016-5-8
Use props
Alan Guan
Banned

Canada

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2016-5-8
Use props
Alan Guan
Banned

Canada

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2016-5-8
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

jason666 Posted at 2016-5-9 08:56
I was flying about 400m away from a powerline, maybe that could caused the loss of signal.
Was the f ...

At 400 metres a powerline will have no effect  on your Phantom
2016-5-8
Use props
jason666
lvl.2

Netherlands

I am not sure if there was anything interfering with my drone. I was flying where i never flew before so it was new for me.
If the powerlines were not the cause so it is very suspecious what happend.
2016-5-8
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

jason666 Posted at 2016-5-9 09:10
I am not sure if there was anything interfering with my drone. I was flying where i never flew befor ...

You haven't given any details about where or how far out you flew but if you fly far enough, or fly over an urban area,  or fly less distance but lower down or if you get a few trees between you and the Phantom or don't have your antennas well  aligned and directed toward the Phantom etc,  etc, you will experience loss of video signal.
It's just nature's way of letting you know to come back a little or go a little higher or get out from behind the tree etc.
2016-5-8
Use props
DJI-Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft
Hong Kong

This video may help:
2016-5-9
Use props
rodger
First Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

Use "Airplane" Mode in the same location and see if that clears the problem up.
2016-5-9
Use props
francois3
New

South Africa

Yes,mine flow away last week. Fell somewhere in the bush.After 5 day my neighbour Rudi Bronkhorst found it. Luckely the video way on and recorded the area. Dont know the reason yet.Francois Ferreira Pretoria
2016-5-9
Use props
richmars
lvl.4
Flight distance : 209537 ft
United Kingdom

francois3 Posted at 2016-5-9 13:08
Yes,mine flow away last week. Fell somewhere in the bush.After 5 day my neighbour Rudi Bronkhorst fo ...

I've had two 'loss of video' errors. Both between 100 and 200 metres away, and less then 100m high. This is flying over fields. No houses, other people, or other sources of interference. Both since the latest updates.
Retained control of the quad, and the log didn't show any problems with the signal.
2016-5-9
Use props
kw.duan
New

United Kingdom

I confronted the exactly same issue. I sent email to DJI and get the following solution.
Would you be so kind to try the following:

Please downgrade your remote controller to 1.5.8 by following the steps below:
a. turn on the remote controller and connect your mobile device
b. open the DJI GO App, press and hold the academy button for about 10 seconds
c. download the firmware and downgrade to 1.5.8.

After downgrading the remote controller, please upgrade the aircraft to 1.8.1. Please see the instructions in the manual: http://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/i ... e_Guide_en_v1.4.pdf

Once you upgraded the aircraft, please re-upgrade the remote controller to the latest version by using the DJI GO App.

Please relink the remote controller by following the video:

Coincidentally, before they sent me this email. I tried this method, and it works. In the method they provided, I believe they perhaps want to say 1.8.80 rather than 1.8.1. Have a try. Please let me know if it works for you.

However, this is still a mysterious thing. If anyone knows what is going wrong, it will be very appreciated if you can share the knowledge.

2016-5-9
Use props
Beto NYC
lvl.3
Flight distance : 550472 ft
United States

if "signal lost" is an error, i have errors in all my flights

2016-5-9
Use props
tshaden
lvl.1
United States

Yes mine has lost signal that last two times I have taken it out!  Very close range maybe a 100 yards away.
2016-5-9
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

You were not very far away so you should have not lost signal, watch this video to make sure you have correct antenna orientation.
Also, you will generally lose video before RC signal. you can always just expand the map and turn the aircraft towards home and fly the green line and that will take you directly home. Video signal signal should come back fairly quickly.
As far as RTH, always make sure you have your RTH altitude set to each flight environment you are flying in.

2016-5-9
Use props
imagesbyjas
lvl.4
Flight distance : 286198 ft

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-5-10 00:47
You were not very far away, watch this video to make sure you have correct antenna orientation.
Also ...

Ken,

Not for anything (I don't think) but he shouldn't be losing the signal at 100 yards..  Going to try to get out this afternoon in some wide open areas and see if I'm hitting any of this..
2016-5-9
Use props
tshaden
lvl.1
United States

imagesbyjas Posted at 2016-5-9 11:52
Ken,

Not for anything (I don't think) but he shouldn't be losing the signal at 100 yards..  Going ...

I was in open field with line of site! 100 yards! also had lost signal two days before, but only  when a drone was taking off  "Aspire" but he was about three yards away. a little worried about flying?
Todd
2016-5-9
Use props
tshaden
lvl.1
United States

imagesbyjas Posted at 2016-5-9 11:52
Ken,

Not for anything (I don't think) but he shouldn't be losing the signal at 100 yards..  Going ...

antenna orientation was correct. any suggestion's would be helpful.
2016-5-9
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

tshaden Posted at 2016-5-10 01:07
antenna orientation was correct. any suggestion's would be helpful.

It has to be interference in your area,
Can you post a screenshot from the map of where you were flying at.
Or provide your email address you log in the GO app with and I can look at your flight record.
2016-5-9
Use props
jason666
lvl.2

Netherlands

i am checking the quality of the Radio Channel on the APP and sometimes (every 2-3 minutes) i get a message: Poor, Strong interferance. Fly with caution.
I am checking this in the livingroom. Never checked this but after the signal lost error i am inverstigating this.
Any idea?
2016-5-9
Use props
jason666
lvl.2

Netherlands

more information: i am checking the firmware version of the Remote controller and the drone and now it says N/A!!!!!
I have video link and can start the motors, but dont dare to flight!!!!
help!!!
2016-5-9
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

jason666 Posted at 2016-5-10 03:56
i am checking the quality of the Radio Channel on the APP and sometimes (every 2-3 minutes) i get a  ...

You cannot check signal interference in your house, your going to get all those warnings in your house.
2016-5-9
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

jason666 Posted at 2016-5-10 04:06
more information: i am checking the firmware version of the Remote controller and the drone and now  ...

Can you post a screen shot, you have everything powered up and have camera view correct?
2016-5-9
Use props
jason666
lvl.2

Netherlands

here is a screenshot when i have connection.

2016-5-9
Use props
gtokarsk
Second Officer
Flight distance : 14869882 ft
United States

rodger Posted at 2016-5-9 05:16
Use "Airplane" Mode in the same location and see if that clears the problem up.

What is an "Airplane mode"?
2016-5-9
Use props
jason666
lvl.2

Netherlands

i never had problems with the drone. Why now use airplane mode?
2016-5-9
Use props
tshaden
lvl.1
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-5-9 12:17
Can you post a screenshot from the map of where you were f ...

toddhaden@gmail.com
2016-5-9
Use props
gtokarsk
Second Officer
United States

Yesterday I was flying near power lines, and under objects, so I've set my "on loss of signal" to hover, but normally I have it set to RTH and works beautifully. I have lost range anywhere between 600 and 3000 ft, yesterday I had some issues around 2400 ft, and because I left it in hover mode, I pretty much extended my radio in a rather uncomfortable pose, till I got signal enough to send RTH.. no problem.... I never tried it in a true clean area with no interference at all, but I am sort of questioning the whole 3.1mile distance... after all I have not gotten to even 1 mile yet... Oh well.. as I fly more and try different areas, I am sure I'll learn more on this subject and learn to maximize the range. The antennae positioning, no doubt, does make a huge difference, so be aware of that. I wonder if there's much impact of having V pattern vs II pattern if you are flying far away forward....
2016-5-9
Use props
tshaden
lvl.1
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-5-9 12:17
Can you post a screenshot from the map of where you were f ...

toddhaden@gmail.com
2016-5-9
Use props
jim.chisholm
lvl.2
Flight distance : 152352 ft
Canada

Flying directly overhead will do it if you haven't angled the receiver well up as well. The RC unit does not receive/transmit from the tips of the antennas.
Happened to me on my first flight, always have the flats of the antennas as close to perpendicular to the
Phantom as possible.
2016-5-9
Use props
AG0N-Gary
First Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

gtokarsk Posted at 2016-5-9 15:35
Yesterday I was flying near power lines, and under object, so I've set my "on loss of signal" to hov ...

V configuration is not optimum.  They should be parallel with each other II, and as parallel to the legs of the drone (where the antennas are) as possible.
2016-5-9
Use props
gtokarsk
Second Officer
United States

AG0N-Gary Posted at 2016-5-9 16:35
V configuration is not optimum.  They should be parallel with each other II, and as parallel to th ...

Thx! Good to know!
2016-5-9
Use props
rodger
First Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

gtokarsk Posted at 2016-5-9 16:29
What is an "Airplane mode"?

Airplane mode is in your Tablet and Phone. I don't know which you are using. Airplane Mode turns your Cell connection off thus filtering the signal from those sources. we are in the same band. It may or may not remedy your issue. Can't hurt to give it a whirl.
2016-5-10
Use props
gtokarsk
Second Officer
United States

rodger Posted at 2016-5-10 04:53
Airplane mode is in your Tablet and Phone. I don't know which you are using. Airplane Mode turns y ...

Ah! Got it, u mean enable airplane mode on the device to disable all possible interference! Got it.. my mind was stuck on us flying, so I figured it's some Phantom flight mode i am unaware of!
2016-5-10
Use props
imagesbyjas
lvl.4
Flight distance : 286198 ft

The DJI tutorial video on proper ways to use Antenna is really pretty good..  I try to stay close to being in line with the Aircraft, and angle up when I bring the elevation up..  DJI-Ken has been posting it on several of these threads about connectivity issues..
2016-5-10
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

imagesbyjas Posted at 2016-5-11 00:03
The DJI tutorial video on proper ways to use Antenna is really pretty good..  I try to stay close  ...

And one more time in case someone doesn't scroll through this thread.

2016-5-10
Use props
gtokarsk
Second Officer
United States

So DJI-KEN, just wondering, did anyone in your office run a test on P3A on current firmware in an open area, as well as in somewhat populated area, and could you post what sort of range did you get before losing signal? There's so many questions about range, it would be nice to hear from you guys. Of course I'd assume that most users do understand that 5km, 3.1mi is OPTIMAL, and it is not reasonable to assume we gonna actually get this every time we try.....
Maybe it would be worth making a thread dedicated to DJI tests of range on various models, to give us a "reasnable" estimate? But then again, I know why you may not want to do it, without posting 2 mln disclaimers, so totally to your guys discretion....
GT
2016-5-10
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules