Multiple flights with one battery charge
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
dalvit giorgio
lvl.2
Flight distance : 123766 ft
Italy

Hello,
if I want to fly 5-10 minutes in a location and other 5-10 minutes in another location (1 km away from the first one), may I use the partially discharged battery or should I change the battery with a full one? I plan to do this on the same day.

So, engines on, first flight (5-10 minutes), engines off -> time to move to the next location -> engines on for the second flight.

Any advice?

Thank you
2016-5-9
Use props
Not A Speck Of
lvl.4
Flight distance : 666493 ft
United States

You're going to get a lot over varied responses from this ranging between these two extremes:

• YES: Why not? What's the difference between landing during your first mission and immediately taking off again from that point, or turning the battery off and taking off from another point on that same day, probably not more than an hour away?
  • NO: With the multiple examples of people experience mishaps, taking off with less than full batteries, why would you advise someone else to take that risk?

So here are some tips for each of the above opinions:

• Do Tests First! If you take those chances, first get to know the voltage readings in the DJI Go app and monitor them during the course of a full battery depletion. Do this in a safe place. Then do it again, but this time with the breaks you are asking about (power down, wait for a period of time, power up again with the same batteries and see). On the second flight, watch to see how quick the battery depletes, and again: watch those voltake readings! Do the volts start to differ between the 4 cells? Do they all get dangerously below a normal range of just under 4v even though you seem to have more than 25% juice left?
    Also: realize that new batteries will behave better than batteries that are nearer their end-of-life. DJI gives you was of finding out how many charges a battery might have left. (Ask how!)
  • A simple solution to this is: have more fully charged batteries — I have 6.
    Another option: bring charging solutions with you; if you're in a car, you can charge between missions using the 12v outlet.
    There are even better charging solutions, such as having a large battery with an AC outlet via an inverter (I can carry around my Goal Zero Yeti 400 if I feel the need to have juice all day long; I am not affiliated with this company in any way other than as a customer).
    Extreme solution: If you're off the grid, you can fill up your charging battery via solar panels.
    Charging battery note: if you want to save money and get a cheaper battery charger, know how many amps the DJI charger draws. For instance, it will trip the breaker of a lesser charger.

Chris

2016-5-9
Use props
Kneepuck
Second Officer
Flight distance : 275105 ft
United States

The rash of Phantoms falling from the sky has been associated with batteries that were left unused for a long time, then used without refreshing the charge. They would show some acceptable voltage level, but when flown with would rapidly fall below minimum levels and turn off the motors.  
Using a freshly charged battery for multiple flights on the same day has never been an issue that I know of.  However, if you have more than one battery, it would be best to at least bring it along so as to ensure you get the shots you want.
2016-5-9
Use props
nigelw
Second Officer
Flight distance : 518084 ft
United Kingdom

As Not A Speck Of said.

Also, check this thread for more info http://forum.dji.com/thread-51147-1-1.html.

A battery warmer might also help for the second flight, but I'm yet to test this theory.  Maybe you can test it also.
2016-5-9
Use props
dalvit giorgio
lvl.2
Flight distance : 123766 ft
Italy

Not A Speck Of  Posted at 2016-5-9 17:30
You're going to get a lot over varied responses from this ranging between these two extremes:

Thanks, I'll perform some tests.

@nigelw: the link you posted doesn't work for me, maybe the thread doesn't exist anymore?
2016-5-9
Use props
DJI-Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft
Hong Kong

Hello Dalvit, first, it is recommended to start the flight with a fully charged battery.Second, pay attention to the battery level during the flight. Third, if you don't power off the drone and move it to another location, the home point would not change and stay the same.
2016-5-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules