What I Pad
1737 23 2016-5-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
andyweller
New

United Kingdom

I have just purchased a Phanthom 3 Advanced and want to know which I Pad is the best to use?

Do I need to have a cellular one or is a Wi-Fi one good enough?

I was looking at the I Pad 2 mini.............

Look forward to your help.

Thank You

Andy
2016-5-11
Use props
jcripps91
lvl.2
Flight distance : 15860 ft

United States

The 2 mini works very well. Wifi only is just fine as long as you are not planning on utilizing the follow me function, just be sure to download and cache maps of where you will be flying while on wifi.
2016-5-11
Use props
malvern
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Which iPad. ?

Air.
2016-5-11
Use props
terrylewis
First Officer
Flight distance : 3517287 ft
  • >>>
United States

If you look at the Apple iPad Comparison..... the Mini 4 has the improved processor and is the perfect size for the holder. The Mini 2 should be less expensive but you're loosing both graphics and cpu performance.

If photography is your interest, then the Air 2 has the 9.7" screen and the faster processor. But it's weight and size will need to be reinforced with a metal support bracket available from eBay, Amazon, or even the Inspire 1 RC Metal Mounting Bracket available from the DJI Store!.

Good luck and fly safe!
2016-5-11
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

+1 iPad Air 2 64gb Cellular... ;-)
It's an awesome performer and actually not that heavy, even without a Neckstrap.
But switching out the OEM device holder is mandatory, even if using an iPad Mini. Haha
Ol' wobbly...

RedHotPoker

2016-5-11
Use props
Door Medic
lvl.2

United Kingdom

I have the Mini Ipad 4. I have had no issues at all, it also has a anti-glare screen, so they say, but still difficult to see when the sun is out, even with my Tablet Hood over it
2016-5-11
Use props
nigelw
Second Officer
Flight distance : 518084 ft
United Kingdom

I use an iPad mini 2 cellular (for GPS).  No problems & don't feel the need for anything bigger.  If I want a connection to download maps I just connect it to the wifi hotspot on my iPhone.  No point paying for 2 sim cards.
2016-5-11
Use props
Not A Speck Of
lvl.4
Flight distance : 666493 ft
United States

I have an iPad Air 2 Wifi only and have wished that I had got the cellular version more than once.
2016-5-11
Use props
imagesbyjas
lvl.4
Flight distance : 286198 ft

iPad Mini 2 with Cellular (but you don't need a data plan to get the GPS from it - wireless only does not have GPS) ...  Got mine used on Ebay and still had warranty left on it which Apple transferred to my name.  (Sometimes you get lucky)..  Handles everything fine including replay of videos.
2016-5-11
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Not A Speck Of  Posted at 2016-5-11 16:57
I have an iPad Air 2 Wifi only and have wished that I had got the cellular version more than once.

Aside from functionality relying on the GPS module, what are you missing...? ;-)
Suppose that's not really a question. Ha

RedHotPoker
2016-5-11
Use props
AG0N-Gary
First Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

My Mini-2 16 works just great.  Sure, I'd like to have the GPS, but so far it hasn't caused me any grief being without.
2016-5-11
Use props
levik1990
lvl.2

United States

I use the iPad Pro 9.7 inch. I love it.
2016-5-11
Use props
Tintin007
lvl.1

Ecuador

I would say that you should check for RAM specifications.

Some iPad have only 1 GB of ram and that will make some applications like AutoPilot to fail.

I must sell my iPad mini3 because of that to go get a mini4 because it has 2GB or ram insteal of 1GB of my Mini3

So if I was you, I would first check the ram spec of the ipad you want here : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_iOS_devices
Have a nice day
2016-5-11
Use props
leorvasquez
lvl.2

For my Phantom 3 Advanced I use an Apple iPad mini 3 and it works just fine. I haven't had one problem with my iPad mini 3 and highly recommend it, especially since you can get it cheaper than a iPad mini 4. I got a 128GB from Best Buy for $399. Here is a pic of mine.

2016-5-11
Use props
nigelw
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Tintin007 Posted at 2016-5-12 05:50
I would say that you should check for RAM specifications.

Some iPad have only 1 GB of ram and that  ...

I'm looking at getting Autopilot for my iPad mini 2.  It says it's compatible in the spec Autopilot, even down to the 1st gen iPad mini which is 512kb RAM.

Maybe you were running another app in the background?
2016-5-11
Use props
rodger
First Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

I use the Mini 4. I have the 128 GB with Wi-Fi and Cellular. The Mini 4 is the ideal size. A regular iPad works fine but it is to large for me.
2016-5-12
Use props
QuadBart
lvl.4
Flight distance : 256506 ft
  • >>>
United States

When I fly I want all the functions available to me.  So I bought a NIB Ipad Air that was a left-over from Best Buy. Paid 300 bucks. Its the cellular model.  Don't need to turn on cellular service.  To download maps of the area I'm flying in. I first turn my Iphone into a hot spot, connect my Ipad to it, get the maps, turn off the hot-spot/link and I'm GTG...
2016-5-12
Use props
cv560
lvl.1

United States

My iPad Air 2 with wifi and cellular used to be great. However, it is no longer compatible with my P3P drone. I can't get past the "How to Connect" page on the DJI GO App. The "Camera View" will not appear. My iPhone 6 works fine. DJI has been less then helpful on this issue
2016-5-12
Use props
bobwhitejmj
lvl.1

United States

iPad Air 2 also love that BIG screen so much more detail, feels like a safer flight.
2016-5-12
Use props
Not A Speck Of
lvl.4
Flight distance : 666493 ft
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2016-5-12 09:42
Aside from functionality relying on the GPS module, what are you missing...? ;-)
Suppose that's no ...

Ha. Ah.

But for the newbies listening: no GPS means no maps on the go (though you can pre-load) and no Follow-me mode (though with Litchi, you can use your tablet for the Phantom and tether it to your cell phone with a free add-on app).
2016-5-12
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Yeah, of course. I think it's important that new comers understand the ins and outs of all the parameters and various device model choices.
You almost need a short course in digital device management. Hahaha

On a side note, Listening to Hot Rats right now, Willie the Pimp is playing. ;-)

RedHotPoker
2016-5-12
Use props
Tintin007
lvl.1

Ecuador

nigelw Posted at 2016-5-12 02:30
I'm looking at getting Autopilot for my iPad mini 2.  It says it's compatible in the spec Autopilot ...

I
Here's the email I've received from their tech support :

"Sorry I overlooked those as I was only looking for the Autopilot specific crashes. Those entries indicated that the iOS device was running low on memory and deliberately killed Autopilot. That is, Autopilot did not crash but rather the device did not have enough system memory to run Autopilot. You may need to upgrade to a newer device at some point, or at least make sure there are no other apps running in the background."

And no I wasn't having any app in the background, in fact I've done the following just to close that case: I've reinstall my iPad and punt only DGI GO and AUtopilot in it and it still crashes because low memory.  So I hardly recommend you to buy an iPad with 2GB and more, no matter what the specs are saying
2016-5-12
Use props
nigelw
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Tintin007 Posted at 2016-5-13 08:09
I
Here's the email I've received from their tech support :

OK, thanks for highlighting this.  I already have an iPad mini 2 which works OK with the Go app.  I'll hold off the Autopilot app for now.
2016-5-13
Use props
Tintin007
lvl.1

Ecuador

nigelw Posted at 2016-5-13 07:50
OK, thanks for highlighting this.  I already have an iPad mini 2 which works OK with the Go app.   ...

I'll be seeling my iPad mini 3 to get an mini 4 because they got 2GB or RAM and this is the cheapest one I've found having 2GB or RAM

Is there anyone out there using a mini 4 with AutoFlightLogic AutoPilot app that can confirm that it works without a glitch and don't hang or quit like on my mini3?
2016-5-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules