Phantom 3 Adv -- toppled on landing, motor advice please
1017 5 2016-5-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
windgate
lvl.3
United States

So I've had my P3A for over a month -- likely 3 dozen flights so far and never as issue along the way.
However, this afternoon (possibly due to variable wind) when I landed the P3A it toppled to one side as it landed causing two of the motors to stop.
I was able to power it down within a couple of seconds.
I powered the P3A completely off and recycled the RC. When I brought it back up it spun up just find and I took it for a short flight.
Everything seems fine. However, now I'm concerned that I may have damaged the two motors.
It may be my imagination but I think it sounds a little louder now (not sure about this though -- maybe paranoid).
Just curious if anyone has advice? Is it best to simply replace the two motors...
Or would the flight log indicate motor overload or some other error?
Advice to this newbie is most appreciated.

2016-5-11
Use props
nigelw
Second Officer
Flight distance : 518084 ft
United Kingdom

I'd be surprised if just toppling over damaged the motors.  Having them run fast for a couple of seconds shouldn't cause any harm either.  If it is actually louder, it's more likely to be damaged props.  If they're ok, it's probably your imagination.
2016-5-11
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Yes, probably just the paranoia with regard to the motor sounds.

But how are you stopping the motors on landing?  
That may be a factor in toppling.
If you are using CSC, that can have the effect of tipping the Phantom.
On landing, using the left stick down for 3 seconds method will keep your Phantom stable.
2016-5-11
Use props
windgate
lvl.3
United States

nigelw Posted at 2016-5-11 17:45
I'd be surprised if just toppling over damaged the motors.  Having them run fast for a couple of sec ...

Nigel, you were right -- the motors are fine. I took my P3A for two more flights yesterday evening and twice again this morning. All is fine and it sounds as I recall previously after swiping the rotors out (as the two were slightly scuffed on the edges. Thanks again for chiming in!
2016-5-12
Use props
windgate
lvl.3
United States

labroides@yahoo Posted at 2016-5-11 19:39
Yes, probably just the paranoia with regard to the motor sounds.

But how are you stopping the motor ...

Thanks for the reply. I've had my P3A for at least 3 dozen flights and this was the first time this had happened. Yes, I do use the left stick all the way back for landing. We live on the side of a mountain and I think a gust of wind passed through right at the exact moment that it was landing. All seems good now. Thanks for taking the time to reply : )
2016-5-12
Use props
DJI-Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft
Hong Kong

Hello windgate, first of all, you can check coil in the motor.If it turns into black or burned, the motor is damaged.Secondly,try to hover the drone in the windless condition in P-GPS mode.If the drone could not hold its  attitude and make some abnormal sound , you may need to contact our service center for diagnosis. 捕获.JPG
2016-5-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules