Section 333 exemptions/Pilot's license requirements GONE by the Fall
974 4 2016-5-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
taxi_guy
New

United States

This may not be new information for anyone else, but it was for me, so I thought I would share.

I had been dissappointed that the new commercial drone regulations we saw in March were only a more rapid method of commercial registration, and not an implementation of the NPRM Rules proposed back in February of 2015.

After looking online, and talking with people in the industry at NAB, I couldn't seem to find any hope for those of us who would like to be paid for our aerial videos/photos without having a pilot's license.

So, I shot an email to the FAA looking for some answers, and I got some good stuff back (and very promptly, too).

They said that the proposed NPRM Rules should be finalized by the end of this Spring, and implementation should happen sometime later this Summer.

In general, for commercial operators, we would have same hobbyist regulations with the additions of drone registration, operator certification, and recurring aeronautics testing. This would replace the pilot's license requirements and eliminate the need for a Section 333 exemption (in most cases).

Take those time estimates for what they are, but it was at least encouraging to hear, directly from the FAA, that we are still moving towards an equitable situation for would-be commercial operators.

2016-5-11
Use props
GuyNamedLindsey
lvl.2

United States

Good to know.
2016-5-11
Use props
Arvada
lvl.2
Flight distance : 398822 ft
United States

It's May and the 333 site says it will take 120 days to process.  The requirements for your application are a little more involved discussing how close you can get to participants and non-participants of your drone activities....a slew of other things....

I want to be optimistic....but this is the Government guys.  Let's get serious.

{:4_177:}
2016-5-12
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>

I've had my 333 for over a year and also been a private pilot for over 20 years, I'm wondering if and when a pilots license is not required anymore will things be different if you have a pilots license or not. Will licensed pilots have less expensive insurance, and things like that.
2016-5-12
Use props
quadslo
lvl.2

Slovenia

Would be possible to get a permit to fly commercial as a non US citizen with a drone less than 5KG?

2016-5-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules