Video Files Split
2865 13 2015-1-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
mjdmike
lvl.3

United States

Just filmed today for the first time, and am not sure what's going on.  During all three sessions, the video file was split into two files.  I don't see an app setting that forced this.  I can stich the pieced together in FCPX, but it's not perfect, nor ideal.

I'm certain i didn't change any settings, and did not take any photos during the shoot.  I was just trying to concentrate on the practice flights, so turned on the video camera and let it go until landing.  I'm also certain I turned off the recording before powering off the Inspire before changing batteries, so the video file was closed properly.

I do see the three sessions were split at the 9:21 mark exactly, and the main files are 4.21 GB in size -- with the second half of each video file varying in size and time.

Anyone have an idea what or why this is?

Filmed at 4K24, with an MP4 format, using a Lexar High-Performance MicroSDXC 633x 64GB UHS-I/U3 Flash Memory Card (LSDMI64GBBNL633R).

Thanks for any help,  Mike

2015-1-18
Use props
theworstcase
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1407589 ft
Germany

4 GB is probably the max file size for FAT32 on SD cards - has nothing to do with the inspire ...
2015-1-18
Use props
Zeebadoo
lvl.2

United States

That's a very common practice. once a video file hits the Camera's predetermined max file size it will start recording to the next file. If the video is long enough it will even go to a third or fourth file. Every semi-pro, DSLR and GoPro camera I've ever used all do the same thing.
2015-1-18
Use props
cow
lvl.1

United States

Thats a limitation of fat32 fs.  Try formatting your microsd in exfat.  The inspire is supposed to be compatible with exfat.
2015-1-18
Use props
mjdmike
lvl.3

United States

Awesome, thanks guys!   Much appreciated.
2015-1-18
Use props
rbendjebar
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3170190 ft
  • >>>
United States

cow Posted at 2015-1-19 05:25
Thats a limitation of fat32 fs.  Try formatting your microsd in exfat.  The inspire is supposed to b ...

Cow, do you know if the internal app card format function is set to format in fat32? If so, it might be best to re-format the card outside the camera to prevent the file size limitation.
2015-1-18
Use props
cow
lvl.1

United States

rbendjebar Posted at 2015-1-19 06:11
Cow, do you know if the internal app card format function is set to format in fat32? If so, it migh ...

I'm not sure.  I haven't tried formatting in camera yet.  I probably won't have a chance today but I'll check it out at some point.
2015-1-19
Use props
Mike-the-cat
Second Officer
Flight distance : 22488593 ft
  • >>>
Singapore

You can't exceed the 4GB limit that is imposed by the FAT file format. Period
2015-1-30
Use props
chadfish
lvl.1

United States

The real problem isn't that the files get cut up, ad that's normal. What sucks is that you lose a few frames at the file break. I had a sweet shot get ruined today because of a few lost frames at the split.
2015-5-1
Use props
dlmedia
lvl.1

Germany

OK guys, here are my two cents regarding this topic.

I figured out that still ( with the newest firmware ) the video files alway get split at around 4GB size, regardless of the file system used on the card.
The internal formatting uses exFat not FAT32, but this also happens when formatting the SD card on my computer.

But the splitting itself is not the real problematic here:

I discovered this because I'm not getting to fly a lot these days ( mainly because of bad weather ) and when I'm not using the Inspire for a few days I discharge all my batteries to around 50%.
This takes a few hours, so sometimes I turn on recording because it drains the batteries a bit quicker.

So I was letting it record in 1080P60 mode yesterday and suddenly ( at about 28minutes ) the recording stopped by itself. Or so it seemed!
When I pressed the record button again the recording started again but the time code was still somewhere above 28minutes.
Now when I tried to stop the video again it just didn't work. The blue circle around the record button in the app kept spinning endlessly.

My only way to stop this was to shut down the aircraft forcing a hard break in midst of recording. So after that my sd card didn't get recognised by my mac anymore
and I had to re-format it in the Inspire...

After this obvious BUG I ran a few tests with different recording times and formats and there seems to be a HUGE overall problem when recording long takes
which span over multiple files. Some of the files I recorded ( even when this break-up problem didn't occur ) weren't  readable and in one occasion there was even a short take missing completely!

The most unstable video mode where this happens a lot! seems to be the 1080p60 mode, allthough I didn't have time to test out all modes yet. Also recording to an MP4 container rather than MOV seems to be more stable but still there is no guarantee here.

4K is relatively stable, but here also I had the unplayable 2nd or 3rd file problem when recording a long take.

What I absolutely don't understand is why the video files have to be split in the first place when using exFat.

It would be vital that DJI Support explains what is going on here and how to avoid these really intolerable problems
until they are fixed !
2015-9-23
Use props
Machoman
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1036959 ft
Austria

I never had problems with 4K. 1080 I never use due to the poor quality with the small chip in the X3.
If you are using the included lexar card (write 10 MB/s) buy a better one.
2015-9-24
Use props
dlmedia
lvl.1

Germany

Machoman Posted at 2015-9-24 10:41
I never had problems with 4K. 1080 I never use due to the poor quality with the small chip in the X3 ...

I'm using a SanDisk 64GB Extreme Pro card.
Also the problem occurs in 4K mode as well.
This is a real problem / bug in the camera / software and should be fixed as soon as possible!
2015-9-24
Use props
dlmedia
lvl.1

Germany

DJI would you please comment on this !? Or do I have to start a support request??
2015-9-25
Use props
BrianInMN
lvl.2
Flight distance : 87310 ft
United States

I'm wondering if anyone has gotten a answer/solution to the video files splitting or is this just the way it is?
2015-10-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules