UK Commercial Licenses/Qualifications/Insurance
2102 18 2016-5-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
dylantucker
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Hi all -

I realise this is probably an often discussed topic, but I can't find a thread that relates to the UK, and only ones that mention bodies outside UK jurisdiction.

Essentially I've been using my phantom 3 for a few hobby flights but have been asked to do a couple of small commercial jobs and therefore want to look
into insurance/licenses and wondered if anyone knew the best/cheapest route in the UK. I'm not really looking for the most renowned qualification that money
can buy because I won't be trying to win work based on it. I simply have a few offers for work and want to make sure I'm covered.

I'm aware a few people get insurance through the BMFA but I don't want to get that and then find out my selected license/qualification route requires a different kind
of insurance.

Thanks for your help!
2016-5-19
Use props
aaron.ferguson
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1641752 ft
United Kingdom

£16 pa from FPV UK will get you £5m public liability insurance: http://www.fpvuk.org/become-a-member/
2016-5-19
Use props
johnwarr
First Officer
Flight distance : 6467 ft
United Kingdom

BMFA and FPV insurance will NOT cover you for commercial work.
Firstly you need to pass  a National Qualified Entity (NQE) course, this is around £1,000.
Then you will need proper commercial insurance.
Then you need to apply to the CAA for permission.
Details and a list of NQE training days can be found on the CAA website. HERE
2016-5-19
Use props
Old Geezer
lvl.3
Flight distance : 23691 ft
United Kingdom

This the cheapest offering I have found for obtaining the sUAV commercial pilot qualification - http://www.uastraining.com/uav-training-course/price-list/
2016-5-19
Use props
michaelfinney_h
lvl.2

United Kingdom

aaron.ferguson@ Posted at 2016-5-19 16:40
£16 pa from FPV UK will get you £5m public liability insurance: http://www.fpvuk.org/become-a-memb ...

Not for commercial work it won't. Read the terms
2016-5-19
Use props
ARM-001
lvl.3
Flight distance : 666893 ft
United Kingdom

Commercial qualification / course: £1000 - £1500, several weeks of distance learning in advance, followed by a 3 day course, written exam and flight assessment
Commercial operator TPL insurance (1 small aircraft, e.g. P3P): £750
Operations Manual: you need to complete a detailed operations manual after completing the course (ours is 70 pages, 16,000 words long!), takes about 3 - 5 weeks to write and my word it's boring :-(
CAA approval: £112, takes around 4 weeks to process.

All in all it takes around 3 to 4 months to go from zero to (CAA approved) hero. Can be a long slog but worth it if it's a career that excites you.

Note: it's illegal to provide any aerial services in return for what the CAA call "valuable consideration". This can be money, a bottle of wine to say thanks, or even a benefit in kind (free round of golf). You also won't also be insured (commercial aviation policies are only available to someone who's qualified and approved) and, if unaware of the rules and restrictions, you may inadvertently break a rule or two.

Don't let all this put you off though, it's great when you finally get that PFAW :-)
2016-5-19
Use props
michaelfinney_h
lvl.2

United Kingdom

That's a lot of investment of time and cash for what? I don't see estate agents/wedding photographers/roofers crying out for drone services. Where is the payback?
2016-5-20
Use props
Mono
lvl.1
United Kingdom

ARM-001 Posted at 2016-5-20 00:03
Commercial qualification / course: £1000 - £1500, several weeks of distance learning in advance, f ...

wonder if anyone's actually been charged with committing  this crime ..
2016-5-20
Use props
ARM-001
lvl.3
United Kingdom

michaelfinney_h Posted at 2016-5-20 14:09
That's a lot of investment of time and cash for what? I don't see estate agents/wedding photographer ...

It's a judgement call and down to the individual to identify their sources of revenue in their business plan. PFAW's have about a 40% non-renewal rate (I.e. 40% give up within a year).

Like most startups, it's a hard, long slog :-)
2016-5-20
Use props
ARM-001
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Mono Posted at 2016-5-20 15:18

I understand a few people have. A quick Google search throws up an article on the CAAs attitude to it:

Link
2016-5-20
Use props
pi-inthesky
Second Officer
Flight distance : 13058 ft

EUROUSC was my route but it aint no walk in the park by a long chalk as ARM-OOI has already explained.Youve got to be committed 100%.DEEP POCKETS HELP.Youve got to complete the whole process
before you even think of going public.
2016-5-20
Use props
michaelfinney_h
lvl.2

United Kingdom

ARM-001 Posted at 2016-5-20 18:25
It's a judgement call and down to the individual to identify their sources of revenue in their bus ...

ARM-001 It's the wrong way of going about marketing. The way to eanrings is to identify a need and then provide an answer/service. Buying a Drone then looking for the need is the wrong way round. Film makers can buy their own. The BBC has its own in house three man team. Come on why did you go for registration? Have you earned the cost of the course yet?
2016-5-20
Use props
ARM-001
lvl.3
United Kingdom

michaelfinney_h Posted at 2016-5-20 22:42
ARM-001 It's the wrong way of going about marketing. The way to eanrings is to identify a need and ...

Actually, revenue stream identification is a critical part of any business plan. It's exactly what you're saying it is: knowing what the need is, providing the service and having a USP to be successful in targeting it.

A lot of people buy the drone for pleasure and then move into commercial work. In my own case I formed the business first. You are correct in saying that some media companies have a PFAW, but its a far more diverse field than just flying a camera for TV work. Agriculture, forestry commissions, commercial inspections; you can do promos for golf courses if you want, but it's a much bigger world than that.

I paid £1,000 for an abbreviated course with a top provider, due to already having a CPL and yes, the cost was covered by my first project.

Best of luck and happy flying!
2016-5-20
Use props
michaelfinney_h
lvl.2

United Kingdom

ARM-001 Posted at 2016-5-21 05:44
Actually, revenue stream identification is a critical part of any business plan. It's exactly what ...

ARM-001 Thank you for your very helpful comments and good luck with the business.
2016-5-20
Use props
dylantucker
lvl.1
United Kingdom

DAMN! Thanks for the help everyone, but that's a lot of cash! 's frustrating to have to pay more for a license that you do for the drone itself (or not much difference anyway). The problem I see with this is drone work is often marketed at people adding another string to their bow, but this prices out a lot of people and would require you pursuing it being your main thing. For me, this is a show stopper in terms of both time and money which is a real shame. Wish there was another way!
2016-5-23
Use props
nigelw
Second Officer
Flight distance : 518084 ft
United Kingdom

dylantucker Posted at 2016-5-23 12:28
DAMN! Thanks for the help everyone, but that's a lot of cash! 's frustrating to have to pay more for ...

It may sound like a lot of cash to most people, but as a business investment, it's actually very little.  For example, compared to the cost of needing to travel to & from jobs over a year.
2016-5-23
Use props
rob.logicalplan
lvl.1

nigelw Posted at 2016-5-24 05:57
It may sound like a lot of cash to most people, but as a business investment, it's actually very l ...

Great thread thanks to all ,  can anybody recommend  a training centre  ?   I'm London based but also willing to travel
2016-8-30
Use props
CUAVA
lvl.2

United Kingdom

rob.logicalplan Posted at 2016-8-30 18:08
Great thread thanks to all ,  can anybody recommend  a training centre  ?   I'm London based but a ...

Hello,

Cambridge UAV Academy is a Full CAA NQE based in Cambridgeshire, providing training for all drone pilots. Visit our website if you would like more information, or email us (contact information is on the website).

The Academy Team.
2016-10-12
Use props
helidan
lvl.4
Flight distance : 459951 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Mono Posted at 2016-5-20 15:18

Don't think many have tbh.

I'm aware of one possible loophole that might allow a person to make a couple of quid but it's an indirect approach.
2016-10-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules