United States

Cant we track out drones
2016-5-20
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Sorry to hear about the loss of your drone. Yes, I want you to get it back as well.
I think every @DJI drone should have a Tile chip included  in each kit, and a one year subscription to the app.
https://www.thetileapp.com

RedHotPoker
2016-5-20
Use props
sorka95032
lvl.2
Flight distance : 782582 ft
United States

The drone is better than a tile. Why can't the DJI app report the exact location of a stolen drone? It shouldn't matter who's running DJI GO. If drone is stolen, you report as such. As soon as anyone tries to use it with the app, that app running on the thief's device reports the location just like a Tile would but it's better as you can get the exact location of the AC itself rather than just the mobile device.

Of course if they only fly with a tablet that is never connected to the internet, then it wouldn't be able to report it at that exact moment but I suspect that is not the case most of the time.
2016-5-20
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

sorka95032 Posted at 2016-5-21 12:01
The drone is better than a tile. Why can't the DJI app report the exact location of a stolen drone?  ...

"Of course if they only fly with a tablet that is never connected to the internet, then it wouldn't be able to report it at that exact moment but I suspect that is not the case most of the time. "

DJI have no idea where any Phantom is or has been flying unless the owner uploads flight data to DJI.
And if they did enqable tracking without your participating, the privacy folks would be screaming.
2016-5-20
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

With the Tile hidden inside the drone, it could be located well before the drone was ever activated or flown.
Chances are good, it was taken by a known perp. And he (OP) would likely have it back already.

RedHotPoker
2016-5-20
Use props
DJI-Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft
Hong Kong

Sorry for your loss,iowahusker91782. Currently there isn't a method to get it back.
2016-5-20
Use props
mjlstudios
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1540131 ft
  • >>>
United States

State Farm Insurance! $60 per year! No deductible! Phantom is FULLY insured whether you crash it, drown it, brake it, loose it, if it is stolen, fire...etc! My P3P is insured!
2016-5-21
Use props
CREATOR62
lvl.2
Flight distance : 183855 ft
United States

mjlstudios Posted at 2016-5-21 06:07
State Farm Insurance! $60 per year! No deductible! Phantom is FULLY insured whether you crash it, dr ...

what is the deductible for your drone coverage?
2016-5-21
Use props
oldcar82
lvl.2

United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2016-5-21 10:18
With the Tile hidden inside the drone, it could be located well before the drone was ever activated  ...

Just looked at the tile home page..says it has a effective range of 30 feet with Bluetooth...how would it be able to track a drone that was stolen? or am I missing something?
2016-5-21
Use props
FatedFilmsNC
lvl.4

United States

mjlstudios Posted at 2016-5-21 06:07
State Farm Insurance! $60 per year! No deductible! Phantom is FULLY insured whether you crash it, dr ...

I have personally talked to a State Farm agent and they claim they are NOT insuring drones yet. IDK how you claim you were able to get insurance through State Farm for your drone but State Farm themselves claim they are not offering drone insurance at the moment. They will be in the future, but it is not finalized. Maybe you were lucky?
2016-5-21
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

oldcar82 Posted at 2016-5-21 08:45
Just looked at the tile home page..says it has a effective range of 30 feet with Bluetooth...how w ...

Hahaha, so wrong you are with this..
We all know that awful feeling of losing your bag when you’re traveling. Rushing from terminal to terminal, praying that you make your connecting flight, somehow you end up on your plane...but one of your bags does not. The likelihood of an airline losing your luggage is less than one percent (about 0.7%). That means that the majority of lost luggage is a result of our own forgetfulness. What if there were a tiny Bluetooth luggage tracker you could slip into any bag to help you locate your bags when they go missing? Sounds like a dream, right? Well, as Tile community member and New York wedding photographer, Ryan Brenizer, discovered, this dream can come true. Returning stateside from a photography conference in Dubai, Brenizer misplaced one of his bags containing thousands of dollars worth of equipment. “The data you can back up, but, unfortunately, you can’t back up a camera -- you can’t back up a physical lens.” Brenizer did have a back up, however. He’d placed a Tile in every one of his bags to use as a luggage tracker if this exact thing should happen. He marked his bag as lost and set his mind on trying to mitigate his losses with positive thinking. Then in the middle of the night, he received an email from Tile letting him know his bag had been located in Zurich, Switzerland. “Not even the country we were looking in. It just shows you that there was no way that through conventional means we ever would have found it.” Of course, Brenizer’s story could not have happened without the collective finding power of the Tile community’s network. Every day, thousands of lost or misplaced items are found by the Tile community passively running the Tile app in the background on their phones. Sound like someone you know? Share this story with a photographer, traveler or anyone who could benefit from Tile. - See more at: https://www.thetileapp.com/blog/ ... thash.Wcsq3V6Z.dpuf

Please get your facts straight, ok? Hahaha

RedHotPoker
2016-5-21
Use props
oldcar82
lvl.2

United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2016-5-22 00:19
Hahaha, so wrong you are with this..
We all know that awful feeling of losing your bag when you’re ...

I got ya...so the more people that get on this program the bigger the spider web...pretty cool...thanks
2016-5-21
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

I actually Didn't mean that to come off in a harsh tone. Yes, Infact that's why I suggested we have it included within all of the the @DJI Phantom kits.
We already have a world wide RC community/extended family. So why not utilize this great digital technology?

Anyway, I would like a couple of these, for my own personal uses...
Only if, (hindsight is better than 20-20), I might have gotten my stolen Nishiki Bushwacker mountain bike back...

RedHotPoker
2016-5-21
Use props
terrylewis
First Officer
Flight distance : 3517287 ft
  • >>>
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2016-5-22 00:43
I actually Didn't mean that to come off in a harsh tone. Yes, Infact that's why I suggested we have  ...

RHP,
   The Tile is Bluetooth technology????? Someone with the Tile Bluetooth app must be within Bluetooth range (about 100 feet) of the tile to trigger it's alarm or update it's last know position in the App.

Here's their Phantom scenario -> Track Your Drone..... -> useful, similar to GPS tracking devices and less expensive when looking/searching for a downed drone. But stolen drone would require the thief to have the Bluetooth app installed on their mobile device or have the stolen drone near someone who has their app......  

Neat device, certainly with appropriate use cases, but I tend to agree that a stolen drone may be hard to recover using the Tile. I AM amazed at the number of Tile App users in Manhattan though!
2016-5-21
Use props
Cessna172
lvl.4
United States

FatedFilmsNC Posted at 2016-5-21 23:10
I have personally talked to a State Farm agent and they claim they are NOT insuring drones yet. ID ...

Wait until he actually files a CLAIM.     That's when the education will occur.
PAYING is easy......

2016-5-21
Use props
mjlstudios
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

FatedFilmsNC Posted at 2016-5-21 11:10
I have personally talked to a State Farm agent and they claim they are NOT insuring drones yet. ID ...

Well in Ayden, State Farm will insure my A/C and all its accessories. Each city is different when it comes to this insurance from State Farm. If you own a house, then your home owners insurance will cover your A/C under the personal property section. My deductible for my home owners insurance is $500, this is why I went with a separate policy for my A/C.
2016-5-21
Use props
mjlstudios
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

CREATOR62 Posted at 2016-5-21 09:58
what is the deductible for your drone coverage?

$0.00.  Its written in my post.
2016-5-21
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Cessna172 Posted at 2016-5-22 06:13
Wait until he actually files a CLAIM.     That's when the education will occur.
PAYING is easy..... ...

Exactly ...
Just because you think you are covered or because one particular agent said you are covered, doesn't necessarily mean you really are covered.

"in Ayden, State Farm will insure my A/C and all its accessories"
In Ayden, State Farm will take your money but in the even of a claim will head office pay out?
2016-5-21
Use props
louecc1
New

Australia

I Have lost several Phantom drones even with GoPros attached which has hurt my pocket and my pride. I feel that DJI is responsible for 2 of them as they have occurred directly after an upgrade.
I think they rush the upgrades to the point that they don't even get the name boxes make the right size on the pages to fit the words which does not make me feel confident with the rest of the upgrade.

I have had so many flaws in the program. Win 8 & 10 both refuse to load an unsafe unsigned driver as does Norton Antivirus - perhaps they require further training in OS system installs and how to add a signature driver.

The issue of losing a drone in this day an age is unforgivable an DJI should take some responsibility, Their GPS units only receive and don't transmit is their reason why you can't track your drone they tell me.
I use a tracker now before I fly ( I have 35 drones nearly all use DJI control system (I think the GPS is outrageously prices considering any other brand is roughly $20 to $50) which means I have to have a SIM card for this purpose with both voice and data. Find my drone is available from apple only, then there is the  specific hardware like (www,trackr.co) cheap but limited range, then there is the Flyrex 3G Drone who will give enthusiasts a discount but still a few hundred as well as a monthly subscription type like Trackemo - both of the later mentions are SIM based but should be reliable if the drone crashed - battery life is a big concideration.

I fail to understand why drones fly away in this day and age when in the past they never have - my investigations so far has resulted in the major reason is their is a strong 2.4 GHZ signal around that takes over and the drone tracks directly towards that signal and ignores - Go-home (what a failure that is - had one fly away inside 2 minutes yet no fly home initiated even with a full battery).. I once even replaced a P1 receiver for a twin antenna type and eventually still lost it carrying 2 brand new batteries fully charged - Damn it DJI

DJI how about installing a safeguard for you signal to prevent this. I have never lost a drone controlled by a devo or spectrum transmitter, maybe get off the most used frequency in the world and choose another that would help.
To date I have lost 2 x P1, 1 x F450, 2 x P2, 1 x black GoPro 3, 1 x silver GoPro3, 2 x Zenmuse 2d 3d gimbals so you can imagine why I am so annoyed that DJI has not addresses this issue. Other drone makers have. I am just glad that I did not loose even more expensive drone which makes me wary to actual fly them at all..

My advise is to get a tracker because you are more than likely to need it one day that's for sure .

I have a reasonable knowledge of electrical/electronic  principals as I am an electrician by trade and hold a degree in Electrical Engineering

I hope this has been some help and a warning to get yourself a tracker or some sort
Happy flying everyone !
2016-5-21
Use props
sorka95032
lvl.2
Flight distance : 782582 ft
United States

labroides@yahoo Posted at 2016-5-20 19:16
"Of course if they only fly with a tablet that is never connected to the internet, then it wouldn' ...

If you're flying my stolen drone, I give permission to DJI to send me my drone's location when it connects to an instance of DJI GO on the thief's mobile device. No need to track it unless the id check of the drone when it connects says that it's stolen.
2016-5-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules