How far from high tension power lines to be safe?
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
orion11
lvl.1

United States

This is a pretty subjective question I guess but, how far should you stay away from hig voltage power lines when flying?  My probelm is I am trying to find a place to practice flying and all of the "green belts" around my neighborhood are there, party because, that is where the power lines cross thru the area.  I did find a couple areas/fields that I could probably stay 70 to 100 meters away from them as the lines are at one end of the open area.  Maybe being paranoid but, since I am getting ready for first flight, I dont want to take any stupid risks that are within my control.
Again, pretty open ended I guess but wondering what everyone's experiences are when around or near power lines and/or cell phone towers.  Thanks
2016-5-28
Use props
PhanFran
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4804163 ft
  • >>>
Belgium

I flew over high power lines not higher than 10 m above them and experienced no problems at all. It was a 'electrical highway' coming from the local nuclear plant having thrre towers one next to the other with each tower holding 8 or 10 cables and each tower 65 to 70 meters high. So it was a pretty lo,g trip (100 m ?) to cross all the lines.

Now, I don't know if these lines were carrying voltage at the timebut I guess they can not be without use every time I flew over them.

I read somewhere that really the only danger when you fly over these lines an electric 'arc' could form between two fases of the system with your AC at the center which would, of course, fry it. Well, it didn't happen, yet, to my P4.
2016-5-28
Use props
MrPinaColada
lvl.4
Flight distance : 790082 ft

For some odd reason with my P3S I can fly farther towards the direction of the power lines, than I can flying away from the power lines. I get no issues with power lines except for almost hitting them occasionally
2016-5-28
Use props
orion11
lvl.1

United States

Thanks much, that puts my mind more at ease!!  Cheers
2016-5-28
Use props
EdM
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1491814 ft
  • >>>

Its when you drop down on the other side of major power lines that the problems seem to begin, at least in my experience.    Many times i have seen the signal strength cut by half or better, and that's at relatively close range.
2016-5-28
Use props
michaelfinney_h
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Just keep well away from Cell Phone masts. The RF saturates the drone control. I had a flyaway. Fortunately it had plenty of battery power and did a RTH. Phew, was I relieved.
2016-5-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules