Distance setting issue
21387 28 2016-5-31
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ardrossan55
lvl.1

A newbe question. In programing the control unit regarding max distance it shows 500m. When I try to set a larger number it defaults back to 500m. My question is how do I set a longer distance?

Thanks in advance.

David
2016-5-31
Use props
Ricardo
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4356421 ft
United States

Turn "off" the Max-distance should take care of it. You will no longer have any type of distance restrictions.
2016-5-31
Use props
FAS1
lvl.4

United States

I believe euro models are maxed out at 500m, if that is your location, you're SOL I think. But I've been wrong before.
2016-5-31
Use props
terrylewis
First Officer
Flight distance : 3517287 ft
  • >>>
United States

Like Beginners Mode, which limits you to 30M, the MC Settings limits for altitude and distance are configurable up to 500M. Altitude is restricted in software to a max of 500M (configurable between 20M - 500M), but normally set to the limits established by government agencies (120M in US).

The distance limit is OPTIONAL and if turned on is configurable between 15M and 500M. It's there when you need a software fence to keep you honest and within defined distance limits. Turned off, you remove any distance restrictions.

limits

limits

2016-5-31
Use props
balciatilla
lvl.2
Flight distance : 282080 ft
Turkey

terrylewis Posted at 2016-5-31 17:10
Like Beginners Mode, which limits you to 30M, the MC Settings limits for altitude and distance are c ...

Please correct me if i wrong. Altitude limit is only for mission planning. This is just limit your mission's max. altitude. And the distance limit is only a virtual circle on the map just to warn you.
2016-5-31
Use props
terrylewis
First Officer
Flight distance : 3517287 ft
  • >>>
United States

balciatilla Posted at 2016-5-31 22:28
Please correct me if i wrong. Altitude limit is only for mission planning. This is just limit your ...

That is essentially correct. When you set a MAX distance, it presents a MAX Distance circle on your map display. Here's mine set at 80M:

80M Distance Limit

80M Distance Limit

With 80M set as my MAX distance, I can fly out to 80M and the GO App will alert me that I've reached the distance limit.

Max Distance Reached

Max Distance Reached

It will not allow me to fly any further distance.
In fact, right or left rudder will fly a very nice POI arc at the distance limit.
You CAN change this setting while airborne!

The altitude work similarily.
If I set it at 80M, I get an alert from the GO App when I reach 80M and I can not fly any higher.

Max Altitude Reached

Max Altitude Reached

You CAN also change this setting while airborne!
2016-5-31
Use props
Not A Speck Of
lvl.4
Flight distance : 666493 ft
United States

balciatilla Posted at 2016-5-31 22:28
Please correct me if i wrong. Altitude limit is only for mission planning. This is just limit your ...

"Altitude limit is only for mission planning"?

For clarity:

• The altitude (not distance) limit that you set in the app (such as 120m in the example images of this thread) will be the maximum altitude you can fly period, whether it's a programmed mission or just flying. The Go app will give you a message telling you that you've reached maximum altitude regardless of how you got there.
  • The maximum altitude (not distance) that you can set is 500m period. This is hard wired into today's Phantoms. You shouldn't fly it higher than 120m in many western countries ... but you could if you set that value higher. You just can't set it higher than 500m.
  • As Terry points out, the maximum flight distance (not altitude) also has a 500m limit, but only when the 'Enable Maximum Distance' switch is on. With this switch off, you are free to fly any distance, even well beyond 500m, as long as you still have range between the remote and craft.
    (Note that the avaition authorities of your country probably ask you to fly Line Of Sight.)
    (Alternatively, you can even fly further than your remote's range with Litchi missions, but that's a subject for another thread.)

Chris

2016-5-31
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Using my P4 with DJI GO 2.8.2, it now shows 15-3000m when Maximum Flight Distance is on. But video stream problems makes it unusable for me. DJI GO 2.8.1 has a maximum configurable range of 500m as stated.

DJI GO Max Flight Distance 3000m on P4.jpg
2016-5-31
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

FAS1 Posted at 2016-5-31 23:53
I believe euro models are maxed out at 500m, if that is your location, you're SOL I think. But I've  ...

And again too.
If you turn the Max Distance Limit off, your Phantom will go as far as the controller will reach in your local environment.
2016-5-31
Use props
FAS1
lvl.4

United States

labroides@yahoo Posted at 2016-5-31 21:31
And again too.
If you turn the Max Distance Limit off, your Phantom will go as far as the controll ...

Ahhh, cool. So the max distance setting is really nothing more than an 'advanced' beginner mode?
2016-5-31
Use props
MrPinaColada
lvl.4
Flight distance : 790082 ft

FAS1 Posted at 2016-6-1 10:02
Ahhh, cool. So the max distance setting is really nothing more than an 'advanced' beginner mode?

Essentially yes.
2016-5-31
Use props
fanse86c01ab
lvl.1

United States

Question: I'm new but have been flying a couple months now. I have a new P3P with latest FW on everything and latest iOS app. I am flying in a clear area, no restrictions and I can only get about 1500 feet in distance. Beginner mode is off, set max distance is off and altitude is set to 120. Everywhere I fly, I can only get 1500-1600 feet distance. Any help or suggestions?
2017-1-17
Use props
fans7be7ee85
New

United States

I was having trouble setting the max distance because it would not either turn off or nor was I able to set it to anything over 480 meters. It must be in sport mode before the max distance setting can be turned off.  Problem fixed.
2017-2-3
Use props
RicardoGray
Second Officer
United States

fans7be7ee85 Posted at 2017-2-3 09:19
I was having trouble setting the max distance because it would not either turn off or nor was I able to set it to anything over 480 meters. It must be in sport mode before the max distance setting can be turned off.  Problem fixed.

Glad to hear you got it figured out!
2017-2-3
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

RicardoGray Posted at 2017-2-3 12:33
Glad to hear you got it figured out!

Maximum distance, is as far as the one good eye can see. Hahaha

While retaining VLOS... ;-)

RedHotPoker
2017-2-3
Use props
Spacetrakker
First Officer
Flight distance : 115384 ft
Australia

ALSO.......Important to remember that maximum altitude refers to altitude from the launch point and NOT altitude above sea level !

Cheers, John
2017-2-3
Use props
blackcrusader
Second Officer
Flight distance : 689774 ft
Taiwan

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-2-3 12:38
Maximum distance, is as far as the one good eye can see. Hahaha

While retaining VLOS... ;-)

Also if you lose signal hope your drone flies home.  2 people flying up where I live lost their drones. Their drones just kept on flying off into the distance.  I assume they did not check they had a RTH setting and checked their home point.  I have not tried to exceed my 500m distance yet. I will only do so when I get my ARGtek antenna next week. Then after a few flights I want to really see what I can get upto in my misty covered mountains.

You better hope you are good at instrument flying when you can't see your drone

2017-2-4
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Well, what can a poor boy do?
Two pilots lost their drones, that's a shame. I feel their loss. Wish people would take better care of their models and be more attentive. Many lost drones can most often be attributed to pilot error.
No fault of the drone. Besides having all your parameters in order, learning how to read the flight LOG to determine the likely spot the drone will be. The High technology is awesome, if you utilize the various options, that help retrieval. I wouldn't lose my drone, but might misplace it for a time... Follow the flight LOGs and go get them back. Also, put some ID on them, Incase found by someone walking the dog.
A drone would be pretty easy to spot, if it were flown in an open area away from obstruction and interference. ;-)

Guys want to fly in the forest, making  it much harder to spot. No fault of the drone. We have a brain, the drone has only the circuit board to guide it. We need to be smarter than it.

RedHotPoker
2017-2-4
Use props
RicardoGray
Second Officer
United States

blackcrusader Posted at 2017-2-4 02:45
Also if you lose signal hope your drone flies home.  2 people flying up where I live lost their drones. Their drones just kept on flying off into the distance.  I assume they did not check they had a RTH setting and checked their home point.  I have not tried to exceed my 500m distance yet. I will only do so when I get my ARGtek antenna next week. Then after a few flights I want to really see what I can get upto in my misty covered mountains.

You better hope you are good at instrument flying when you can't see your drone

The RTH, I can say for me has always worked. I have had it happen multiple times. It is almost now to where I have comfort in knowing it will always come home. Not near as nervous as I used to be. With that being said, I have a P3A and still use Go app 2.9.1, and have NEVER had my home point jump on me...NEVER. I can only imagine the pain of those who have lost their drone due to this. I don't even give second thoughts to running out there a couple of miles. I do try to stay high enough in those areas to maintain a good signal.
Although I continue to use my Litchi more and more, and I go places
I  know I will loose my signal, but Litchi has always completed my missions and returned home. It is just crazy. I do check out the mission before I just send it out into the wild blue yonder, but a whole different experience for sure.

You will like your Argteks, I sure did. What a difference you should see. Look forward to some photos!
2017-2-4
Use props
RicardoGray
Second Officer
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-2-4 10:30
Well, what can a poor boy do?
Two pilots lost their drones, that's a shame. I feel their loss. Wish people would take better care of their models and be more attentive. Many lost drones can most often be attributed to pilot error.
No fault of the drone. Besides having all your parameters in order, learning how to read the flight LOG to determine the likely spot the drone will be. The High technology is awesome, if you utilize the various options, that help retrieval. I wouldn't lose my drone, but might misplace it for a time... Follow the flight LOGs and go get them back. Also, put some ID on them, Incase found by someone walking the dog.

I agree, that a lot of the errors appear to be pilot related. What a shame that a lot of newbies just take it out of the box and up it goes. Then when something happens, you see them on this forum running down DJI about faulty equipment. There is so much to learn with these things. I hope that all of us would agree we never stop learning about them. And yes, although I have not had to search for my lost drone, and hope that never happens, there are many tools at our disposal to help figure that out. A little common sense and preparation goes along ways towards having a pleasant experience.
2017-2-4
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

RicardoGray Posted at 2017-2-4 10:39
I agree, that a lot of the errors appear to be pilot related. What a shame that a lot of newbies just take it out of the box and up it goes. Then when something happens, you see them on this forum running down DJI about faulty equipment. There is so much to learn with these things. I hope that all of us would agree we never stop learning about them. And yes, although I have not had to search for my lost drone, and hope that never happens, there are many tools at our disposal to help figure that out. A little common sense and preparation goes along ways towards having a pleasant experience.

That's well said. Exactly what I'm talking about. We need to be better informed, to have full control and take responsibility when errors occur. Attempting to place the blame on DJI for our lack of knowledge is simply BS. I think most people here are smart enough to know this, yet some try to pull the wool over DJI eyes, thinking they can't figure out the truth. Man, you can't pile the crap deep enough to fool those brilliant techs. They are too well trained, and educated in this simple drone tech, to allow those fools the freedom to run away with the truth.  It all comes out in the wash. Haha

I can see why a lot of folks I fly with (www.ercha.ca) prefer to build their own drones. Taking complete control and having the smarts to build, fix, repair and replace the things that need working on, very personally. There isn't anyone else to point fingers at. Being in control, having personal responsibility.
When you buy an RC model that was built in an assembly line factory, you are rather at their mercy, when "stuff" hits the fan...
Quite often, when you buy a kit, that needs assembly, it will include extra parts, that allow us to replace them at our own convenience. Never a need to send it in, and wait weeks or sometimes even months for the repairs and then time, shipping it back. With a nice bill to cover expenses... Haha

RedHotPoker
2017-2-4
Use props
fans5debf08a
New
Sweden

I cant fly higher or longer than 30 meters. When I try I get message "Maximum altitude reched". I got this issue after I installed the last uppdates.
Im flying in RC mode, the beginner mode is turned OFF, max altitude and distance is max and higher and longer than 30 meters.
Something is locking me for fly? Can someone helping me please!?!
2017-7-13
Use props
kndll
Second Officer
Flight distance : 930161 ft
Canada

fans5debf08a Posted at 2017-7-13 08:05
I cant fly higher or longer than 30 meters. When I try I get message "Maximum altitude reched". I got this issue after I installed the last uppdates.
Im flying in RC mode, the beginner mode is turned OFF, max altitude and distance is max and higher and longer than 30 meters.
Something is locking me for fly? Can someone helping me please!?!

log out of DJI GO APP and log back in
2017-7-13
Use props
Csixgo
New
United States

I've tried doing all this with my MAVIC but it will only go 90 feet up and 150 away...but I've had the thing a mile away before and 400 feet up...is it because of the firmware update
2017-7-30
Use props
Digo Lino
lvl.1
Brazil

Hello, even if I disable the beginner mode the mavic pro does not let me go 30 meters high and the distance. what do I do?
2017-8-3
Use props
RicardoGray
Second Officer
United States

Digo Lino Posted at 2017-8-3 03:30
Hello, even if I disable the beginner mode the mavic pro does not let me go 30 meters high and the distance. what do I do?

Do you have the new app? If so, I think you must login to DJI servers at least once, otherwise you have the restrictions.
2017-8-3
Use props
Digo Lino
lvl.1
Brazil

RicardoGray Posted at 2017-8-3 04:12
Do you have the new app? If so, I think you must login to DJI servers at least once, otherwise you have the restrictions.

Ok, I entered the "dji" site with login and password now and downloaded the apk for android I will test the later return if the problem has been solved. Thank you for the tip
2017-8-3
Use props
RicardoGray
Second Officer
United States

Digo Lino Posted at 2017-8-3 05:00
Ok, I entered the "dji" site with login and password now and downloaded the apk for android I will test the later return if the problem has been solved. Thank you for the tip

Absolutely! I hope it works for you.
2017-8-3
Use props
Digo Lino
lvl.1
Brazil

RicardoGray Posted at 2017-8-3 06:38
Absolutely! I hope it works for you.

I went on the "dji" site and with the application made available by them worked perfectly. The application that is in the "play store" does not communicate with the drone! Many users here in Brazil are complaining about this detail. Anyway, thank you !!!!
2017-8-4
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules