I did it purchased a Phantom 3 Pro
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Wulf
lvl.2
Flight distance : 45059 ft
Canada

It just left the warehouse and Im waiting for it to arrive.My Question is , I live in a very remote area on a 160 acer ranch without sell service and I wonder if I can fly the Phantom like anyone else or if Im restricted not having sell service.
I do have Internet for updating the firmware and for the go app.
2016-6-1
Use props
Not A Speck Of
lvl.4
Flight distance : 666493 ft
United States

Cell service is not required. Cellular service doesn't factor into the flying of these (except the caveat below). GPS is still out there, even without cell service.

One caveat: If the phone or tablet that you mount on the remote control is a cellular device, but you have no cellular service, then the only thing you would be missing is having on-the-spot maps on your device. Without a map, you can still fly, but the map screen will just be a green surface. You still get all of the services / functionality of the map screen, such as seeing your craft orientation (which direction it is pointing) and a line that indicates the flight path.

However, you can cache maps on your device at home, with an internet connection, before you fly.

Chris

2016-6-1
Use props
Wulf
lvl.2
Canada

Thanks I probably will cache maps then
2016-6-1
Use props
rreindl
Second Officer
Flight distance : 6491926 ft
United States

Wulf Posted at 2016-6-2 07:01
Thanks I probably will cache maps then

My iPad does not have cell service and I usually fly away from from WiFi so I cache my maps when at home. Sometimes you have to re-cache so keep that in mind.
2016-6-1
Use props
FAS1
lvl.4

United States

DON'T UPGRADE THE FW!!! LOTS of issues!!! Do a search here!!!
2016-6-1
Use props
joey.lopina
lvl.3
Flight distance : 498839 ft

Congratulations and good luck on your maiden flight.  Be sure to read the manual, watch the tutorials, and have a thorough understanding of your bird before you fly.
2016-6-1
Use props
DJI-Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft
Hong Kong

Hello Wulf, if you are new to the Phantom, I think these safety tips could help you:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL8-vxWY64sBOmkQQJ2KWNL-uRBZsP43-r
2016-6-1
Use props
sevadu
lvl.2

Netherlands

Not A Speck Of  Posted at 2016-6-2 00:54
Cell service is not required. Cellular service doesn't factor into the flying of these (except the c ...

"Without a map, you can still fly, but the map screen will just be a green surface. You still get all of the services / functionality of the map screen, such as seeing your craft orientation (which direction it is pointing) and a line that indicates the flight path."

That's very interesting and something I was wondering (just not enough to search for answers haha). Now I have my answer, thank you!
2016-6-2
Use props
Cessna172
lvl.4
United States

Do NOT Update the Firmware right away.   You will see the screen say it is "Required" but that is FALSE.

Fly your new drone for a while on the firmware that comes on it.
Read up on advantages and disadvantages of updating the firmware.

When you're flown the Phantom enough to be absolutely sure it is working properly, and you absolutely positively want features offered by firmware updates...then and ONLY then should you update.

Congrats.  Have fun.
2016-6-2
Use props
Wulf
lvl.2
Canada

Cessna172 Posted at 2016-6-2 21:09
Do NOT Update the Firmware right away.   You will see the screen say it is "Required" but that is FA ...

Hi good point I won't update for a while what I'm not getting is why the troubled firmware is still out there to download and dji could send e-mails to registered users not to update till the bug is fixed.
I spend a lot of money for my Phantom and I don't like it to just fly away.
2016-6-2
Use props
Wulf
lvl.2
Canada

Hi good point I won't update for a while what I'm not getting is why the troubled firmware is still out there to download and dji could send e-mails to registered users not to update till the bug is fixed.
I spend a lot of money for my Phantom and I don't like it to just fly away.
2016-6-2
Use props
Cessna172
lvl.4
United States

"Most" of the bugs have actually been worked out of the P3A and P3P series.    Those are pretty "safe"....up to about 3 firmware versions before the latest update... imo.   Never update to the latest firmware for at least 3 - 6 months in my humble opinion.    You are stepping into beta tester territory.   The technology is advancing so quickly that DJI cannot possibly iron out every bug in the firmware without help from purchasers.....which takes time.    Eventually they will and do.

But still it's a good idea to fly your new Phantom for a while before updating to make sure you hav a healthy bird and not one with firmware induced problems.   Common sense.

But most people don't read up and don't realize that when you update, you get restrictions along with some new features.    Each person has to decide for themselves where their balance is.
I'm still running 1.3.2 on my Phantom P3A and I couldn't be happier and see absolutely no reason to update the firmware.

The range is fantanstic and I've never had so much as a glitch.   It's true I am missing out on a few features but for me, the lack of the hassle with all the NFZ restrictions is a good trade off.

Be careful however because DJI does possess the capability to update your Phantom for you when you connect your bird to the app and your device is connected to a network.   I'm not sure if they've ever done this at all....but I'm certain it's possible.    My viewing device has no Internet (and no wifi) connection so I feel relatively safe.    I'm probably a bit paranoid since I worked in many IT departments for many years and know what's "possible".
2016-6-2
Use props
Wulf
lvl.2
Canada

finely got the bird flying is a breeze I love it the quality of the aircraft and camera is amazing. Im living in a meadow surrounded by hills and tall pine spruce forest so beginner mode is not an option for me I like to be up 150 feet, all in all a good product and a happy customer Thanks DJI

thumb_DJI_0012_1024.jpg
2016-6-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules