Can you operate Phantom 4 without GPS device? iPad Pro wifi mode...
5359 5 2016-6-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
dresseltl
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1602215 ft
  • >>>
United States

I am very new to flying Drones.  Just purchased the Phantom 4 and really like it.  Started my first 4 flights with iPhone 6 Plus and worked great.  Would like to switch my device to the Apple iPad Pro 12.9" since the screen fits my 64 year old eye sight.  Already had a iPad Pro 12.9" "wifi only" model that does not have GPS.  Will this give me operational problems in flying the Phantom 4?  Thanks!!

2016-6-2
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

No, you do not need either a GPS in your iPad nor do you need cellular connection. The iPad, at its basis, is just a display device. The Phantom will even fly without it.

The only function that relies on having a GPS in the iPad is the 'Follow Me' mode, but with a P4, you already have that feature implemented in a different way. Also, without cellular service you will not get maps displayed while flying, but you can cache them beforehand if you want them.
2016-6-2
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

As well as Follow-me, you won't be able to reset the Phantom's home location to the current location of the controller.
Nothing else is affected by flying a tablet without GPS and these two don't matter to many users.
2016-6-2
Use props
dresseltl
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Geebax Posted at 2016-6-2 20:07
No, you do not need either a GPS in your iPad nor do you need cellular connection. The iPad, at its  ...

Thank you very much Geebax for your feedback.....this really helps!!
2016-6-2
Use props
dresseltl
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

labroides@yahoo Posted at 2016-6-2 20:09
As well as Follow-me, you won't be able to reset the Phantom's home location to the current location ...

Thank you labroides.........I need all the help I can get.  Love flying the Phantom 4
2016-6-2
Use props
Patches
lvl.1
United States

The new 12.5 won't fit the holder.  My eyes are a lot older than yours.  Might I suggest finding an IPad 9.7Pro on the Apple refurbished site.
2017-7-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules