Max Distance Only 3000 ft / 0.56 miles
1119 7 2016-6-4
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Youthman
lvl.1

United States

I purchased my P4 a few days ago.  Yesterday I made my first long distance flight and it went just over 3000ft which is only 0.57 miles.  Today, I took it out and got very similar distance before I started seeing Weak Signal, then connection lost and RTH.  

I'm not getting anywhere near 3 mile range.  Running latest firmware.  

I've attached a screenshot of the map where I lost signal and it began to RTH.  Within a few seconds after it turned around, it regained signal and I resumed flight coming back towards the home point.

Max Distance with Phantom 4.jpg
2016-6-4
Use props
Cessna172
lvl.4
United States

You're flying in an area where there is lots of 2.4Ghz interference.

Those results are not terribly surprising to me.    Maximum range is usually acheived under ideal conditions....like out in some sparsley populated area where you are on high ground with several miles of unobstructed flat terrain ahead of you.

Don't be discouraged.   Try to find an area with less homes and very flat terrain (if available) and try there.

2016-6-4
Use props
Youthman
lvl.1

United States

Thanks for the reply Cessna.  I was thinking something was wrong.    I'm headed to Alabama in 2 weeks.  Lots of open country there to try out.  
2016-6-4
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>

Youthman Posted at 2016-6-5 11:18
Thanks for the reply Cessna.  I was thinking something was wrong.    I'm headed to Alabama in 2 we ...

Look at all those houses you are flying over, I bet every one has a 2.4 WiFi setup (maybe a few on 5.8)
Also, watch this video and it may help some.

2016-6-4
Use props
Mabou2
Second Officer
Flight distance : 811257 ft
  • >>>
United States

I was flying over the Saugatuck river in Ct...  Nothing but clear line of site....  Couldn't get any farther than 2000 feet at 50' altitude before I would totally lose contact...  Way better with 2.8.1....  Currently using 2.8.3.   

Hmmm... 2.8.3 = much less range AND blurry video.... Nice
2016-6-4
Use props
Cessna172
lvl.4
United States

Are you talking near kitts Island and bluff point or further up and inland?

Also, 50' is a bit low.   The signal can be absorbed by the water or bounced and cause interference.   Try that same flight at 200'
2016-6-5
Use props
david.p.mann
Second Officer
Flight distance : 18669501 ft
  • >>>
United States

Youthman,

You are flying over homes and your home point appears to very near some homes and trees that would potentially block signal path even though your aircraft was at 324 feet altitude when you lost signal. As DJI-Ken noted, homes have lots of WiFi devices and then there are cell towers, etc.  

I do a lot of long distance flying. Today on the latest 1.1.410 firmware and DJI GO app version 2.8.3 in completely unobstructed rural farmland, I confirmed that the P4 range is absolutely amazing. Using only a $30 parabolic antenna reflector on my otherwise stock P4, I was able to fly out to max. distance of 27,046 feet (5.1 miles, 8.2 km) and still had 4 bars HD Link and control signal levels! Never had a single loss of video image, pixelation or loss of control signal. I turned around at 65% battery level.

Search for my post on best practices and optimal DJI GO app settings to achieve reliable signal levels at long distances.
2016-6-5
Use props
Youthman
lvl.1

United States

Thanks everyone.  I have the antenna pointed in the correct position.  I'll increase altitude to see if that helps as well.
2016-6-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules