Please Give Us An Option To Turn Off VPS
2485 22 2016-6-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
dmleiter
lvl.2
United States

Is there still no option to turn off VPS on the Phantom 4?

I like being able to fly low by the water (5 ft), but I can't trust the P4 with VPS enabled.

This is a major design flaw on the part of DJI and it really needs to be addressed.
2016-6-5
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

No, it is not a major design flaw, and trying to over-emphasize the issue will not get you any faster attention.

Flying at 3-5 feet across water is a risky manouvre for any airacraft, VPS or not.
2016-6-5
Use props
dmleiter
lvl.2
United States

Geebax Posted at 2016-6-5 18:00
No, it is not a major design flaw, and trying to over-emphasize the issue will not get you any faste ...

That's totally safe with VPS disabled, but there's no way to disable it.

Major design flaw.
2016-6-5
Use props
dmleiter
lvl.2
United States

duplicate post
2016-6-5
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

dmleiter@gmail. Posted at 2016-6-6 09:02
That's totally safe with VPS disabled, but there's no way to disable it.

Major design flaw.

No, it is not safe at all, the aircraft them relies solely on the barometer, and that can be out by up to 10 feet at any given timre.
2016-6-5
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>

Geebax Posted at 2016-6-6 07:51
No, it is not safe at all, the aircraft them relies solely on the barometer, and that can be out b ...

Correct, even without VPS skimming across the water at a few feet it can easily drop just a tad and touch the water then you just ruined your aircraft.
DJI will not even look at water damaged aircraft, so if you ever did get it wet, there's no warranty and you have to repair it yourself or find a dealer that may do it for you.
2016-6-5
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>

Geebax Posted at 2016-6-6 07:51
No, it is not safe at all, the aircraft them relies solely on the barometer, and that can be out b ...

Correct ! ! !
2016-6-5
Use props
dmleiter
lvl.2
United States

Geebax Posted at 2016-6-5 18:51

Apart from VPS or something, your aircraft is not going to randomly drop 10 feet. If it does, then that's also a major design flaw that should be fixed by DJI.
2016-6-5
Use props
dmleiter
lvl.2
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-6-5 19:09
Correct, even without VPS skimming across the water at a few feet it can easily drop just a tad an ...

I've been flying Phantoms all over the world for years without any crashes. I know how they work.

With VPS disabled, it is not an issue to fly low over water as long as you're careful. I've done it hundreds of times. Never had an issue of any kind.

The problem is that there is no way to disable VPS on the Phantom 4, so it is DEFINITELY an issue with the Phantom 4.

How hard is it for DJI to add an option in the app that lets you disable VPS, like on the P3?
2016-6-5
Use props
plamarque
lvl.2
Flight distance : 11827 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Well, I am a professional and registered pilot and what is dangerous is having the phantom drifting with the current in gps mode because of VPS. Flying above water is actually not dangerous at all, quite the opposite, worse case scenario you lose your craft and you move on. Flying above people or roads IS dangerous. I use the p3 or the inspire for all the river shots of properties because the p4 is unusable in the current configuration.
Just asking very nicely, please look into it, the P4 is fantastic, the camera is a great improvement but VPS over water is a no go for me. Otherwise, VPS is actually awesome and it is rock solid over land.
Again I am a huge fan of the P4 I just think you can make it even better with the ability to turn VPS off.
2016-6-6
Use props
cayalag
lvl.3
Flight distance : 470656 ft
Portugal

It may not be ideal, but if you put some tape on the VPS sensors, voilá... same effect as deactivating them. There was a guy on youtube doing some test and it works, even though I won't be the one doing it
2016-6-6
Use props
huntcool001
lvl.3

South Korea

I know VPS won't work above water surface. But does it somehow interfere with the plane, like giving false information?

And BTW.. if you blind the VPS sensors and crashed the plane due to some other unrelated malfunction,  DJI won't cover it.  
2016-6-6
Use props
rodger
First Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

cayalag Posted at 2016-6-6 07:00
It may not be ideal, but if you put some tape on the VPS sensors, voilá... same effect as deactivat ...

Not a good idea my friend. There are a lot of things going on down there.
2016-6-6
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Get an Osmo then buy a speed boat, same as flying low over water, might set you back about 20k though
2016-6-6
Use props
FatedFilmsNC
lvl.4

United States

Geebax Posted at 2016-6-5 19:00
No, it is not a major design flaw, and trying to over-emphasize the issue will not get you any faste ...

Flying low over water with VPS is 10x riskier than flying one without the feature. VPS can and will take over that low and either a. You lose throttle control b. If there is ANYTHING wrong at all with the VPS, such as the system doesnt read the altitude correctly(big problem), theres dirt/debris in the ultrasonic sensors/cameras, or any number of things, the probability that something can happen in that situation is huge, given the VPS's unpredictability, ESPECIALLY in the above described situations. I dont fly indoors. I dont need VPS. They should at least give us the option to shut it off like on the Phantom 3. I absolutely cant stand their VPS feature and wish they would give us our own choice. VPS limits the shots I can get outdoors. Why wouldnt they allow strictly outdoor flyers the ability to turn it off, given all the problems VPS causes for outdoor situations, which is one thing DJI acknowledges themselves. There are several limitations in low altitude flying outdoors with VPS. Thats a fact. The fact we cant turn it off is ridiculous, when it can be for the P3. Just ridiculous.
2016-6-6
Use props
dmleiter
lvl.2
United States

DJI-Ken could you please pass this on to DJI?

We really need an option in the app that lets you disable VPS, like on the P3.
2016-6-6
Use props
wingover2016
lvl.4

United Kingdom

Hi new to the p3p after flying the p fc40 for a year, i never fly indors and never plan to. Had the error message vps sensor fault land as soon as possible, never had it since thank goodness, was flying about 20ft above a dissused railway line at the time. Question i have is there any reason for me to have the vps turned on at all ?
2016-6-6
Use props
dmleiter
lvl.2
United States

wingover2016@ou Posted at 2016-6-6 11:52
Hi new to the p3p after flying the p fc40 for a year, i never fly indors and never plan to. Had the  ...

That's correct, unless you fly indoors there's no reason for you to have VPS enabled. That's why we're asking DJI for an option to turn it off, like on the P3.
2016-6-6
Use props
doug.upthink
lvl.2
Flight distance : 861621 ft
United States

Yes, please provide the option to disable VPS in the GO app.
2016-6-6
Use props
dmleiter
lvl.2
United States

DJI-Ken can we please get this relayed to DJI so they can add it back to the app?
2016-6-6
Use props
jrhobbs
lvl.1
Flight distance : 5236 ft
United States

I am waiting for 333, but definitely add my vote for adding this option, even when using another app. i.e. first turn in off in DJI, then it remains off after closing DJI and using another app.

Thanks,
2016-6-15
Use props
doug.upthink
lvl.2
Flight distance : 861621 ft
United States

Unfortunately, DJI-Ken has just commented that the development team has no plans of adding VPS On/Off option in DJI Go for Phantom 4 right now. Very disappointing. Here's a link to the latest thread as of 6/21/16: http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=54759&page=2#pid429732
2016-6-21
Use props
zzzzzzzuhlast
lvl.1
Flight distance : 135614 ft
Canada

try propeller guards...it will disable obstacle sensing system. not sure if this is VPS?  
2016-6-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules