Out of focus pictures with X5
3051 10 2016-6-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Jason Roberts
lvl.1

Norway

Hi all,

Just started taking pictures with my new DJI Inspire 1 Pro and unfortanetly they are all out of focus.

I'm assuming this has to do with incorrect lens calibartion from my side, and was woundering if anybody has any tips.
Seems strange to me that video would be in focus but not stills.

2016-6-6
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

Does it look out of focus on the screen?And are you in Auto or manual focus.
2016-6-6
Use props
adam1
lvl.3
Flight distance : 326421 ft
United States

Also, as you shooting raw?  What are your settings?  Do you also, have lens sharpness down?  You'll find that sharpening in post is needed anyway.
2016-6-6
Use props
Jason Roberts
lvl.1

Norway

Does not look out of focus on the tablet when flying, shooting in AF.
2016-6-7
Use props
Jason Roberts
lvl.1

Norway

adam1 Posted at 2016-6-6 18:52
Also, as you shooting raw?  What are your settings?  Do you also, have lens sharpness down?  You'll  ...

Shooting both JPEG and RAW.

Have experimented with different settings, ISO 100 -200, f4,5 and high shutter speed.
Have not put lens sharpness down, will try that.

Some sharpening in post i can live with, but everything is blurry and out of focus.
2016-6-7
Use props
adam1
lvl.3
Flight distance : 326421 ft
United States

Jason Roberts Posted at 2016-6-7 05:31
Shooting both JPEG and RAW.

Have experimented with different settings, ISO 100 -200, f4,5 and hi ...

ok, so, not knowing your photography background, please excuse any question that may feel elementary.  

1.  Don't worry about ISO.  Nothing to do with focus.  However, rule of thumb is always shoot at the lowest possible setting as to not introduce s/n ratio noise.

2.  depending of the distance to subject, understand that you are shooting from a moving platform and your depth of field matters.  4.5 has a shallow dof at close distances.  you could easily lose focus with drift of the inspire.

3.  is your lens set to mf on the lease itself? I haven't tried it in the x5, but if the lens is on MF lots of systems, the auto focus or remote focus control won't work.  it disengages the AF motor.

4.  Try setting it to manual focus on the lens and then set the lens to infinity.  get your aperture to f8.  then shoot something 40ft (to be safe) away and let's see what you get.  The doc with that should be twenty something feet to infinity.

5. don't put the lens sharpness down till we get this sorted out.
6.  Yes, don't drag the shutter on moving systems...  LOL  great way to introduce you to motion blur

Let us know what results you get.
2016-6-7
Use props
Jason Roberts
lvl.1

Norway

adam1 Posted at 2016-6-7 14:36
ok, so, not knowing your photography background, please excuse any question that may feel elementar ...

Thanks for this adam1,

2. Have only tried taking pictures of big wide's, using f4,5 - f16, still not getting the focus right.

3. Lens is set to AF

4. Will try this right now, sounds like a good tip.

5. Noted

6. :-)
2016-6-7
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

Jason Roberts Posted at 2016-6-7 22:08
Thanks for this adam1,

2. Have only tried taking pictures of big wide's, using f4,5 - f16, stil ...

All working good ?
2016-6-7
Use props
Thompsonrh
lvl.2

Canada

I'm a little baffled by the camera settings. I'm a photographer and fully understand the roles of aperture, shutter speed & ISO.
1. I understand AF doesn't always work well on the Inspire 1 Pro, in particular for Apps using the DJI SDK. With Autopilot I believe it's highly recommended to set MF in the GoApp first.
2. With the GoApp the camera settings seem to reset to very odd values every time I open the GoApp
3. The screen press symbols for focus (the green rectangle) seems to have mind of its own, I sometimes can't even find it, it's sometimes tucked away in a hard to see corner

Any hints to solve these problems would be appreciated
Ralph
2016-7-3
Use props
Aeromirage
First Officer
Flight distance : 1778045 ft
  • >>>

I suggest Camera firmware downgrade.
See: http://forum.dji.com/thread-52361-1-1.html
2016-7-3
Use props
Hi-FlyFoto
lvl.1
Flight distance : 27651 ft
Germany

Hi,
had this problem also with my new Inspire Pro. In my case the reason was, I had changed from measuring focus on the screen to exposure (with the icon above the camera operation bar). All this while the autofocus was still set to AF.
However the autofocus does not continue in the background. Return the measuring spot back to autofocus and it worked. It is a little quirky. Actually annoying, because I had to redo an entire assignment.

2016-7-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules