Camera Mount
2596 6 2016-6-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
peterschenk00
New

United States

Hi Folks,

Just purchased a Phantom 2 and was wondering on the following...

- There is not allot of information out there on how to mount a Sony Action Camera Model Sony FDR-X1000V/W 4K Action Cam

- Has anyone done this and if so how?

- Best rig I have seen so far is a gentlemen used DJI Phantom Part No. 11 Camera mount for GoPro3 and rubber bands lol

IF anyone has any knowledge to share would very much appreciate it.
2016-6-6
Use props
gil
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1379308 ft
United States

Did it not come with ANY mounts included?  Most "Action" cameras I've seen like the GoPro come with at least some basic mounts.  They usually also offer some specialized mounts for specific sports like Bike/snowboard/surf that can be adapted in different configurations.

It sounds like you are looking for something as cheap as you can get away with but from my experience with the Phantom 1 and Phantom 2, any "rubber band" concoction you throw together is going to result in really shaky video and a possible lost camera.  Just so you know, even if you spend some money on a halfway decent mount unless it has a gimbal to eliminate the vibrations you're NOT going to get anything close to what is possible with a camera that was actually designed to go on the Phantom.

Sure, you can probably cobble something together with the DJI GoPro mount.  And I see from a quick Google search Sony has a "Moto Bundle" that you can probably kludge together with that... good luck.
FDRX1000VW Moto Bundle.jpg
2016-6-6
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

Do a Google search as someone out there maybe has already done it.
2016-6-6
Use props
peterschenk00
New

United States

Thank you for your responses, find it funny that their is not official mount out there.  I will post a YouTube once I get my rig set up.
2016-6-7
Use props
quanthonytrang
Second Officer
Flight distance : 419980 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Does the camera weigh less than 200grams?
Does it use a generic tripod screw?
Is there TV out with OSD (on screen display) (not necessary)?
If so, you can always try some aftermarket gimbals.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/CNC-F ... :g:FJwAAOSwQjNW85wo
I haven't tried it, but this is what I would do:
Supply 12V to the gimbal. Mount the camera like you would a gopro. The trick here is to mount the gimbal 90 degrees side ways and make the roll motor become the tilt and the tilt motor become the roll. You will need to do simple software changes and recalibrate the IMU.

The benefit will be a very stable 4K video considering that the Sony action cam has a built in Image Optical stabiliser.

Anyways..
I'm doing a similar project here, using a SONY 700VTL for FPV and a Gear 360 for VR 360x180 on a single axis stabiliser. I cant use 2 axis yet as the gear 360 is too heavy for the motors.

2016-6-8
Use props
zcream
New

India

quanthonytrang Posted at 2016-6-8 05:29
Does the camera weigh less than 200grams?
Does it use a generic tripod screw?
Is there TV out with OSD (on screen display) (not necessary)?

Any updates on this ? In theory the new Sony X3000 with 4K BOSS stabilizer would function as well
as an external gimbal.
Using the jello damping plates, and some way to mount the camera...
2017-1-5
Use props
QuanthonyTrang
Second Officer
Flight distance : 419980 ft
  • >>>
Australia

zcream Posted at 2017-1-5 22:07
Any updates on this ? In theory the new Sony X3000 with 4K BOSS stabilizer would function as well
as an external gimbal.
Using the jello damping plates, and some way to mount the camera...

Sorry.. having too much fun with the mavic.
I will install the custom gimbal when i get back from holidays.
2017-1-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules