How to fly over a gorge?
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
sukrg481
lvl.1
Guyana

Dear All,

I have a mapping project to do that entails me flying over a gorge that is more than 500m deep. My question is, if i'm on top of the gorge flying at an altitude of 300m and decide to fly over the gorge which is 500m deep, will the P3A correct the altitude and drop into gorge making it difficult of impossible to get it out because of the height limitation?

Thanks
Greg
Guyana, South America

2016-6-7
Use props
Gabe R
lvl.4

Its not a hover craft, if its at 300m high it will stay at 300m. It wont plummet down into the gorge, also it dosent even know the depth of the gorge. The VPS system only detects about 15feet or less, maybe even less.
2016-6-7
Use props
terrylewis
First Officer
Flight distance : 3517287 ft
  • >>>
United States

Your aircraft altitude is relative (+/-) from your takeoff position. It uses the GPS, IMU, barometer, and compass to keep track of where it is relative to that takeoff position.
2016-6-7
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Your Phantom would act just like a real plane would - It won't plunge into the gorge.
The Phantom has no understanding of altitude above sea level and no way to know what is below it.
The Phantom only knows that where it was launched is zero and all heights it uses are relative to that.
If the gorge is deep and narrow and you fly down into it, you may have an issue with loss of GPS signal.
If you stay high or if the gorge is wide enough that won't be an issue.
The display shows the satellite connectivity so you would know.
2016-6-7
Use props
sukrg481
lvl.1
Guyana

Thank you all for your response, I am much more at ease now about doing this project.
2016-6-7
Use props
huntcool001
lvl.3

South Korea

Somehow it reminds me of cartoon character that is running into a gorge, then staying in the air for a few seconds, then drops..
2016-6-7
Use props
sevadu
lvl.2

Netherlands

2016-6-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules