Wi-Fi question?
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
walterm
lvl.1

United States

I'm a bit confused.  I read where users are referring to Wi-Fi signal / signal loss.  Are they referring to the rc signal to the aircraft or actual internet connected Wi-Fi.

I have a P3a and don't ever consider the Wi-Fi just the RC signal strength to the aircraft.  

thanks
2016-6-8
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

The Phantom 3 Standard & the Phantom 3 4k use wifi as their transmission medium.
2016-6-8
Use props
Ricardo
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4356421 ft
United States

Walterm,
Pretty sure they are talking about the FPV signal to the aircraft and not the actual internet. When you fly I'm sure there are times where you won't have actual internet Wi-Fi connection available, but you are broadcasting to your copter. It is separate from actual signal your RC is sending to control you bird. There is 2-seperate signals being used by the Phantom 3A controller to the aircraft.The video signal can become weak or even drop out but you will still have control of the Phantom. Just can't view what is going on.
2016-6-8
Use props
Not A Speck Of
lvl.4
Flight distance : 666493 ft
United States

Hey Walter,

Most of the problems you're reading about are people using the Standard edition, which uses WIFI between the RC and the craft. They're not talking about internet connectivity.

The Advanced uses Lightbridge, so you won't have that particular issue.

Chris
2016-6-8
Use props
walterm
lvl.1

United States

got it.  thanks for the replies.  Glad I got an Advanced.  Sounds like the standard is a bit sub-standard.
2016-6-8
Use props
walterm
lvl.1

United States

I've flown my p3a more than a mile away.  Will get the occasional rc signal loss but the video rarely drops out.   Anyway, again thanks
2016-6-8
Use props
soundbyte58
lvl.2
Flight distance : 300761 ft
Canada

The two terms are used interchangeably in this context. The term Wi-Fi (Wireless Fidelity) is a common term used to describe two or more computers that are joined together in a wireless network (WLAN). In essence, the RC controller and the Drone are simply two computers, networked together.
2016-6-8
Use props
Ricardo
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4356421 ft
United States

walterm Posted at 2016-6-9 00:46
I've flown my p3a more than a mile away.  Will get the occasional rc signal loss but the video rarel ...

I have a P3A also and have had it just at 3-miles out on a couple of occasions over the river. I really love it and glad I bought it instead of the P4 or the Pro. I don't have the need for the 4K and pondered a bit over the standard just for the price at the time, but decided for a little more range and never been sorry.
2016-6-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules