1951 11 2016-6-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
mattsimok33
lvl.1
Flight distance : 213084 ft
United States

Hi All,

I just recieved my Olympus 14-42mm Micro 4/3 lens. Had seen some footage utilizing it and thought I'd give it a whirl. However, when I went to attach it to the X5 it simply will not go on. I match the red dots and as I got to rotate (holding down the unlock button) it just gets stuck and does not want to slide any further. The lens was new so I assume there are no issues with the rear elements. The Stock DJI Lens comes on and off no problem. I feel like an idiot, so I must be missing something? My understanding is you dont NEED a balance ring to attach the damn thing. Any ideas?

~Thanks
2016-6-12
Use props
Aeromirage
First Officer
Flight distance : 1778045 ft
  • >>>

It is a very tight fit. If you remove the cover to the tilt motor it fits better. That is the metal piece that surrounds he green/red led. It is held on with 2 screws.
I really don't know why DJI recommends this lens. The fit is awful. The lens will not close on power down. It will only focus at 14mm.
I got rid of mine because of these reasons. Plus, the zoom is not smooth at all.

Plus, balancing is tricky. See: http://forum.dji.com/thread-46204-1-1.html
2016-6-12
Use props
mattsimok33
lvl.1
Flight distance : 213084 ft
United States

Aeromirage Posted at 2016-6-12 16:32
It is a very tight fit. If you remove the cover to the tilt motor it fits better. That is the metal  ...

Great! Thanks for the feedback, I suppose the 45mm is much better?
2016-6-12
Use props
Aeromirage
First Officer
Flight distance : 1778045 ft
  • >>>

I don't know about the 45mm. I had the Olympus 12mm, which fit very well, but I sold it also as I personally prefer the stock DJI (Lumix) lens.
The 12 didn't really have much wider of a FOV and the focus seemed to be sharper on the 15.
Bear in mind that a 45mm will have a narrow FOV too.
2016-6-12
Use props
Mike-the-cat
Second Officer
Flight distance : 22488593 ft
  • >>>

Aeromirage Posted at 2016-6-13 10:00
I don't know about the 45mm. I had the Olympus 12mm, which fit very well, but I sold it also as I pe ...

Thanks for these comments. I'm very satisfied with the stock 15mm and an Oly 12mm and was thinking of getting the zoom but looks like the prime Oly 25mm or 45mm are better picks.
2016-6-12
Use props
dobmatt
First Officer
Flight distance : 1831050 ft
  • >>>

mattsimok33@gma Posted at 2016-6-13 08:50
Great! Thanks for the feedback, I suppose the 45mm is much better?

Absolutely yes! 45mm Oly works charmingly on my gimbal with 37mm Variable ND filter (Promaster's), no balancing needed. It's sharp and very useful for close ups from safe distance, a must for industrial inspection job, as an example. Make sure, however, that your gimbal is well calibrated and/or born with no complications. Some people reports this damned gimbal noise at various lens positions, you may be unlucky. The cheap 14-42 pancake is a bit troubled on X5 indeed, smooth zooming being the most annoying problem when controlled via app.
2016-6-12
Use props
Henry Mo-Yung
Second Officer
Flight distance : 11548839 ft
  • >>>
Hong Kong

dobmatt Posted at 2016-6-13 14:46
Absolutely yes! 45mm Oly works charmingly on my gimbal with 37mm Variable ND filter (Promaster's), ...

Totally agree with Dobmatt on the performance of the Oly 45mm - I was amazed by the reach and the field of view it gave when i got it & put it on the X5. It is sharp from f2.0 to f11, a great lens for aerial photography. In addition, it balances well with or without filter.

The only shortfall of this 45mm on X5 is the slight vibration noticeable in video shooting (in the magnitude of a few pixels up and down in my case) which can be tolerated, and if needed can be easily fixed in post-processing. The slight vibration was expected before I got this lens - the X5 gimbal vibration range specification of +-0.02 deg speaks for itself, and DJI had clearly stated when announcing FW1.1.0.40 in Nov 2015 that this lens would be for still photography only.

Dear Mike-the-cat,

The Oly 25mm is also a gem in both aerial still photography and video shooting. The Oly 25mm has the highest resolving power and the greatest contrast when comparing with the DJI 15mm and Oly 45mm. I strongly recommend the Oly 25mm and 45mm.

Henry
2016-6-13
Use props
dobmatt
First Officer
Flight distance : 1831050 ft
  • >>>

Henry Mo-Yung Posted at 2016-6-13 23:43
Totally agree with Dobmatt on the performance of the Oly 45mm - I was amazed by the reach and the  ...

Henry, I'm truly believe that jello issue when shooting video with Oly 45mm (not observed here, but reported by few) is directly related to a motors/props balancing and/or assembly imperfections of particular aircraft. It's so called standing wave phenomenon, common to a systems dynamically unbalanced, causing the frame to vibrate at low frequency. Another words, some birds had it, some don't. By far I'm lucky enough to have my Inspire behaving nicely, but it may change down the road, who knows.
2016-6-13
Use props
Henry Mo-Yung
Second Officer
Flight distance : 11548839 ft
  • >>>
Hong Kong

Hi Dobmatt, glad you have a flawless set up with the Oly 45mm.

My observation with the Oly 45mm was not the jello effect observed by others but was a slight image vibration up and down (not noticeable when starring at the gimbal / lens at flight). As said, I can live with that.

Happy flying!
2016-6-13
Use props
HermosaDrones
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3160344 ft
  • >>>
United States

good info.  thanks.  
2016-6-14
Use props
jonathanp
lvl.4
Flight distance : 519275 ft
Canada

I used a dremel to shave the side of the lens so it would fit easier.  I had a shop vac beside the dremel to minimize dust.
2016-6-15
Use props
aerobat
lvl.1

Sweden

Hello,

it is tight, but will fit as said. In earlier firmware (before v01.08.01.40) I had problems with focus.
Now this lens is OK. If you need zoom it's a good option. Check this movie (taken with X5 OSmo  but quality is simila to Inspire).
When focus is chasing it is me doing refocus. (Yes, this was first try with Osmo+X5)  
2016-6-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules