Ipad Air - Video Transmission bad, fine via HDMI port
1721 14 2016-6-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
deadlyapples666
lvl.1

United Kingdom

So I went and bought an Inspire Pro. I have a SkyJib home built using DJI parts and a Flamewheel 550 with DJI parts and I am very happy with DJI over all but I am having issues with the Inspire using my ipad Air tablet.

So I have updated all the firmware everything seems to be fine. I plugged in a monitor via HDMI and get clear signal and everything is great. I went and downloaded the DJI Go app on my tablet (ipad air) and the video tranmission is really crappy. I am not getting smooth video feed, more like a slide show set to 1 frame per 3 seconds. Sometimes I don't even get a full frame. Now it can't be the camera if the HDMI feed from the controller is perfect yet via ipad air or samsung tablet I get IOSD feed just fine but the video transmission is really really bad. Now I have tried downgrading the firmware, that does nothing, I have tried other devices and the results are the same.

The Controller, Camera and Aircraft are all up to date as the controller / DJI go app says it is.

Not sure what to do about this because I would prefer using the ipad / tablet instead of the screen because of the camera control and other features.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I usually expect these things to work especially if they cost as much as this!

2016-6-15
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

I'm sorry to hear you're having issues. Have you tried using different lightning cables? What are your current image transmissions settings?
2016-6-15
Use props
deadlyapples666
lvl.1

United Kingdom

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2016-6-15 18:02
I'm sorry to hear you're having issues. Have you tried using different lightning cables? What are yo ...

We only have the one but have the same issues with a google tablet so I can't imagine it being just a cable thing but its worth a try eh!

Not sure why we have this issue!
2016-6-15
Use props
Donnie
First Officer
Flight distance : 3636782 ft
United States

Make sure to "Enable the Hardware Decode " on the Go App. Also check your Image Transmission settings  and make sure you are on a clean channel and on Auto Mode .  Make sure all other apps are closed, the Go app takes a lot of power and data .  

Also go the the camera settings on the Go app Main page (  far right of main screen )  and Reset the settings in the tool icon back to default .  Be sure to check that you are on 60 hrz as well.  Auto anti flicker etc.  

There are also some output settings on this page . I dont have my rig in front of me , but make sure the appropriate boxes are checked for the Output on HDMI.

If you are in a busy 2.4 ghz area , let me know and I can show you how to go to 32 channels for the video  instead of only 7.    The basics are on You Tube.  If you want more info on this let me know.

Start with my above suggestions, these are usually all that are needed.

Also make sure you have the Proper antenna orientation , sounds like you are somewhat knowledgeable about this so I am not sure how much to tell you.  

Also if you are recording to the SD card  are these Images clear ?  If not then that tells me the problem is in the camera.  If they are clear then it is in the video transmission and we should be able to clear it up with some setting changes and good antenna practices. BUT LIKE YOU SAY IT IS CLEAR ON THE OTHER OUTPUT. IT MUST BE IN THE IMAGE SETTINGS OR HARDWARE DECODE .

Use THE I PAD AIR, IT IS THE BEST, WE JUST NEED TO TWEEK SOME SETTINGS  

donnie

2016-6-15
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
United States

deadlyapples666 Posted at 2016-6-16 01:21
We only have the one but have the same issues with a google tablet so I can't imagine it being jus ...

I would definitely try another cable if you can, but it seems that there may be something amiss with your transmission settings. Could you happen to provide a screen shot of what you have set up in the Image Transmission section of the GO app as well?
2016-6-15
Use props
Donnie
First Officer
United States

This is the page and 32 channels I am referring too. Make sure the Image is set to both outputs, the App and HDMI. That is the one I could not remeber.
Also in UK check off the appropriate box for 50 or 60 FPS.   Maove transmission slider to the appropriate value as well, to start get the highest rate with the lowest range, this will give the best look and we can go out from there .

donnie
32 update.PNG
2016-6-15
Use props
Donnie
First Officer
United States

By the Way Screen Name  "DEADLY APPLES 666 "     Just Wow !!  I just noticed that  !   Oh well, I thought folks in the UK were a Happy Lot ?I have the perfect Avatar for you ! below
LOL

donnie

apples.jpg
2016-6-15
Use props
deadlyapples666
lvl.1

United Kingdom

It's just a username hahaha.

We got it sorted! It was the ipad. My mate tried his iphone with it and that works straight away. Same cable, no other changes!
2016-6-15
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
United States

deadlyapples666 Posted at 2016-6-16 03:00
It's just a username hahaha.

We got it sorted! It was the ipad. My mate tried his iphone with it an ...

Good to hear you were able to find the cause of the issue. We're you able to find out what's causing the issue on the iPad Air, or do you still need assistance with getting it to work?
2016-6-15
Use props
deadlyapples666
lvl.1

United Kingdom

The tablets were not strong enough. It turns out it isn't an ipad air at all but ipad mini 1. Haha, Old samsung tablet didn't work because it was really slow and my mates iphone worked fine and its brand new.
2016-6-15
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
United States

deadlyapples666 Posted at 2016-6-16 04:58
The tablets were not strong enough. It turns out it isn't an ipad air at all but ipad mini 1. Haha,  ...

Ah I see, yea the A5 processor of the iPad Mini isn't fast enough to run the Go app efficiently. For iOS, you would need an A7 Processor (iPad Mini 2 / iPad Air) or newer. Android is a little harder to provide minimum specs as there are so many devices under the Android umbrella, but preferably the more processing power the better. It would be preferred to use one of the recommended devices on the Inspire 1 Specs page.
2016-6-15
Use props
adam1
lvl.3
Flight distance : 326421 ft
United States

Donnie Posted at 2016-6-15 13:26
Make sure to "Enable the Hardware Decode " on the Go App. Also check your Image Transmission setting ...

Need to know:

"u are in a busy 2.4 ghz area , let me know and I can show you how to go to 32 channels for the video  instead of only 7.    The basics are on You Tube.  If you want more info on this let me know."

Thanks Donnie
2016-6-15
Use props
deadlyapples666
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Yeah me and my Dad have built racing drones, custom drones with DJI components, done programming on them, FPV racing, photography etc but this just had me stumped because I thought the iPad should work fine, but it was just that it didn't have enough power. The inspire 1 pro is a delight to fly, the video quality is the best I have ever seen both transmission and then the recorded footage as well! Pictures are really nice too. Might need to buy another controller so we can make most use of the UAV and it's camera!

We really appreciate everyone's help with my issue!
2016-6-16
Use props
Donnie
First Officer
United States

adam1 Posted at 2016-6-15 20:16
Need to know:

"u are in a busy 2.4 ghz area , let me know and I can show you how to go to 32 chan ...

Adam , go to my my link page and I have the files you will need .  If you have an I pad It is simple .

Just load the file to where you can find it easy.  I place mine  (file ) extracted on a SD card and then have that connected to a USB to my computer with I tunes.  Open the I pad Icon on the I tunes app and Scroll to the Bottom , ( Under apps )  Here you will see the DJI go app.  Now click on the Go app and the files that are associated with it will pop up on the right hand side, Go to "Add file "  And then just add the DJI configs file to the list . RE -boot and you are good to go.

****Be sure to read all 3 of my Post on this page  ( Link )  also go to you tube and type in   32 channel DJI Hack    and there are several tutorials for android and Apple.  

You really cant screw it up because worst case scenario , you delete and re install the go APP.  ( No harm No Foul)
http://forum.dji.com/thread-54974-1-1.html

If you need more help, send me an e mail

***Be sure to swith the system Image settings to "Custom " and Pick a channel , dont go with the 13-20 range , the one that works best for me is channel 27 or 31.  check the Activity in your area by observing the Data spikes on the screen , then choose what is best for you .

donaldjames1990@gmail.com

2016-6-16
Use props
Donnie
First Officer
United States

deadlyapples666 Posted at 2016-6-16 05:51
Yeah me and my Dad have built racing drones, custom drones with DJI components, done programming on  ...

I just bought one that was used but said 'New " still in the box and Factory wrap.  On E bay for 400 US dollars.  I could have got a used one for less but wanted As New as Possible.  

I love it because it has the "Coach " Mode and I dont need to Jerk the RC away from the Student, It is a great tool also for getting the perfect shot with an assistant.  I just wish they had 2 cameras on the Aircraft , one dedicated for the Pilot and the other for the camera -man or woman in my case ( My wife )  

I know there are some after market cameras but I  would like if DJI came out with that.

If you need more help let me know

also I was going to ask if you had a Mini because these do not have enough power, thus I did not bring that option up .  Next time I will be more specific, I pad Air does not exclude the Mini......Now I know.

cheers - donnie
2016-6-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules