Ineffective Codec. Banding. Bit rate OK
1556 10 2016-6-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
userc3cd3d7b31
lvl.1

South Africa

Codec problem - Banding: Nothing wrong with MP4 / mov. The codec that the osmo use is not up to standard. Even at 50mbs my Sony a7s footage never shows any sign of banding. Rather use XAVC-S codec......long GOP.

The bit rate is absolutely not the issue.
The ineffective codec is the problem. Some codecs perform much better than others. A sony EX3 records only up to 35 mbs with no banding and no visible artifacts in grass or sky.

Regards Jacks
2016-6-19
Use props
DJI-Adela
DJI team

Hong Kong

Hello.
What kind of program do you use to edit or playback your footage?
We would recommend using the QuickTime, VLC and KMPlayer.

Thanks.
2016-6-19
Use props
rj74
lvl.3
  • >>>
Italy

DJI are a hardware company and have no clue about codec. They should pay to licence Panasonic or Sony codec but they never will. They use the gopro codec and it's pretty poor.
The only option is to shoot X5R DNG raw and convert to Prores 400Mbit/sec and bin the raw files.
Hopefully the next version of the X5 will have a better processing pipeline
2016-6-19
Use props
userc3cd3d7b31
lvl.1

South Africa

DJI-Adela Posted at 2016-6-19 11:26
Hello.
What kind of program do you use to edit or playback your footage?
We would recommend using t ...

Hi there. I am using VLC to play it back. On Premier Pro it looks the same....on Sony Vegas Pro it also shows the same artifacts. DjI has a serious codec problem. Best is to buy a Sony XAVC-S CODEC Licence and ditch your current inferior codec. This is the only way. Maybe it would be a great idea to allow DJI users to pay for a Sony codec as an aditional option with a firmware upgade.....
2016-6-19
Use props
userc3cd3d7b31
lvl.1

South Africa

FIX Codex + Audio monitoring = Double Osmo Sales
2016-6-19
Use props
DJI-Adela
DJI team

Hong Kong

userc3cd3d7b31 Posted at 2016-6-20 05:19
Hi there. I am using VLC to play it back. On Premier Pro it looks the same....on Sony Vegas Pro it ...

Thanks for your feedback.
This issue has been recorded for review, our engineers will look into it further.

We'll keep you informed if there's any update.
2016-6-19
Use props
Ianmcg
lvl.3
Flight distance : 181693 ft
Australia

DJI-Adela Posted at 2016-6-20 13:31
This issue has been recorded for review, our engineers will look into it ...

Yes,  unfortunately I agree that the codec or the low bit rate is the Achilles heel of the system. Still, it's amazing what gets packed inside these little balls. ☺
Adela, is there a white paper or specs list that we can access that tells us exactly which bit rate is used for what resolution/fps settings? (I use the X3).
I had massively different bit rates between HD1080 shot at 25fps vs 30 fps - way more than the 20% that I thought they would be.
I'm just trying to lock in on the best settings to use without stressing my editing computer needlessly. I'm getting great results from the 2.7k settings but would really love to know definitively the specs. This really isn't "trade secret stuff"
2016-6-20
Use props
DJI-Adela
DJI team

Hong Kong

Ianmcg Posted at 2016-6-20 21:50
Yes,  unfortunately I agree that the codec or the low bit rate is the Achilles heel of the system.  ...

Hello.
I'm sorry that I don't have any available specific table list about the bit rate and the resolution.
If it happens any serious quality issue in the footage, please send us the original file, our engineers will help to have a look.

About the mentioned Codec and bit rate issue, our engineers will try to improve in the future.

Thanks for your understanding.
2016-6-21
Use props
userc3cd3d7b31
lvl.1

South Africa

DJI-Adela Posted at 2016-6-22 08:15
Hello.
I'm sorry that I don't have any available specific table list about the bit rate and the r ...

Hi there. Any news about updating the codec?
Are they going to give us audio monitoring soon?

Regards
Jacks
2016-7-4
Use props
DJI-H.C
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

userc3cd3d7b31 Posted at 2016-7-4 17:34
Hi there. Any news about updating the codec?
Are they going to give us audio monitoring soon?

Dear customer, we're sorry that currently we don't have related news to announce. But DJI is constantly improving its product and and will devote all efforts to make customers satisfied.
2016-7-4
Use props
4medp
lvl.1

South Africa

DJI-Adela Posted at 2016-6-20 05:31
This issue has been recorded for review, our engineers will look into it ...

Hi there,

Any news with regards to the codec issue and live audio monitoring via the headphone jack on phone? I have not heard any news from you and it has been a long time now. Regards Jacks
2016-8-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules