P3S firmware video range problem
2874 36 2016-6-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
kinjomakato
lvl.1

Spain

As many other users, my P3S experiences video signal range lost within 50m range after last firmware update.
Several post have been published with no answer from DJI.
Is there any update fixing this problem in mind?
Could you please just publish previous firm (which worked fine) as an update while fixing?
Thank you
2016-6-19
Use props
baanlanna
New

Excactly the same problem with my newly purchased P3S. Didnt even fly yet when It asked for firmware update 1.6.8 First flight today lost video signal after 30 to 50m.

DJI please do something!
2016-6-19
Use props
chrisclarkeart
lvl.1

United Kingdom

So glad I'm not the only one experiencing this, bought my P3S a week ago, flown it twice and both times lost video at 30m in height and got to 150 range and lost video, a 500m range is awesome if you can see what's happening. Please DJI fix this!
2016-6-19
Use props
gullisig
First Officer
Flight distance : 9109311 ft
Iceland

What device and what app are you using for the live feed?
2016-6-19
Use props
daverower
lvl.3
Flight distance : 33570 ft
Australia

A lot having the same problem. They do not seem to care and will not even acknowledge the problem. {:4_154:}
2016-6-19
Use props
andyfowler80
New

United Kingdom

I have the same problem. Brand new P3S, I updated the firmware straight out of the box and consequently can't fly further than 20-30m.  DJI please can you respond??  
2016-6-19
Use props
baanlanna
New

FYI, Phantom Firmware 2.8.3, DJI GO App version 1.6.8, using iPhone 6.
2016-6-19
Use props
Ste_Photo
lvl.2
Flight distance : 389839 ft
United Kingdom

I'm worried now. I purchased a P3S yesterday and should receive it by the end of next week. Don't know whether to cancel my order before its despatched. In your experience how quick are dji in resolving such issues?
2016-6-19
Use props
Sundance Kid
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1207 ft
United States

Ste_Photo Posted at 2016-6-19 13:44
I'm worried now. I purchased a P3S yesterday and should receive it by the end of next week. Don't kn ...

Well, it's been well over a month now and DJI still refuses to accept responsibility or admit anything other than there may be a few people experiencing a problem caused by firmware 1.6.8. Lots of posts and lots of angry people. In my opinion, this is unacceptable behavior. Nothing seems to phase these people. You decide...
2016-6-19
Use props
gullisig
First Officer
Flight distance : 9109311 ft
Iceland

Ste_Photo Posted at 2016-6-19 18:44
I'm worried now. I purchased a P3S yesterday and should receive it by the end of next week. Don't kn ...

I have two P3S and both work great. In my location I can go over 1000 m.
There is something which happen in the update process in few cases so just test it before updating.
I think it is good quad for that price.
2016-6-19
Use props
imdilanvlogs
lvl.3

Sri Lanka

Ste_Photo Posted at 2016-6-20 00:14

I have the sae problem.. I loose radio signal within 60m.. all came with the new firmware.. but it s OK.. dont cancel your order.. p3S great without crappy firmware.. buy it and if it is flying well don't update it..  
2016-6-19
Use props
jacopo.marcoval
Second Officer
Flight distance : 244856 ft
Italy

Hi, i had a different issue, i lost rc signal and not video signal after upgrade.
Here you can read about my experience. http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?m ... D369%26typeid%3D369
Contact dji support and send your drone back to dji repair service.
I agree that with the last update some p3s (mine too) do not work, but the only thing that we can do is to contact dji support service.
2016-6-19
Use props
gabycambeiro.ho
lvl.1
Argentina

Hola como estás me sucede lo mismo que a vos mi PH3 ha perdido señal de video de un momento a otro quiero actualizar el drone y no me deja, he probado todo y no he encontrado solución cuando apago el phantom la batería sigue titilando en rojo el botón de encendido varios segundos, hasta que despues de un momento se apaga, el drone no me deja actualizar el nuevo firmware, sabe usted que puedo hacer ? Muchas gracias
2016-6-19
Use props
amelia.bolli01
lvl.2

United States

Dear Phantom 3 Standard owners,
I myself am an owner of a Phantom 3 Standard and I am COMPLETELY baffled of why everyone is getting such a bad range! I have gotten 1.3 MILES/2km of range with great video and control! Check out my YouTube channel: RobisDroneVideos for proof.
SOLUTION: My theory is that DJI has changed the Wifi frequency so that the drone is more prone to interference. I know when I was flying over a crowded neighborhood with loads of wifi interference, my video occasionally cut out at only 50~100m for a few seconds. This is because of the interference from the thousands of Wifi networks. However, if I ascended to higher altitudes, I would get about 1km of range. I would suggest flying higher or flying somewhere with little to no Wifi interference.
2016-6-19
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

amelia.bolli01 Posted at 2016-6-20 08:37
Dear Phantom 3 Standard owners,
I myself am an owner of a Phantom 3 Standard and I am COMPLETELY baf ...

No, DJI have not changed the radio frequency, they use the same channels allocated to that purpose by various countries around the world. And why on earth would they change to something that is more prone to interference?

The system is a frequency-hopping one that can change channels automatically if it encounters interference on the channel it is using. But it only has 8 channels within which to do this, so if you are flying in an urban environment with lots of WiFi routers present, it may run-out of available channels.

2016-6-19
Use props
pgrover516
Banned

United States

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2016-6-19
Use props
huntcool001
lvl.3

Hong Kong

baanlanna@gmail Posted at 2016-6-19 18:52
Excactly the same problem with my newly purchased P3S. Didnt even fly yet when It asked for firmware ...

If you just purchased it, I suggest you exchanged it with the seller, citing defective unit, having very short ranges.  They'll normally oblige.
2016-6-19
Use props
huntcool001
lvl.3

Hong Kong

chrisclarkeart Posted at 2016-6-19 21:30
So glad I'm not the only one experiencing this, bought my P3S a week ago, flown it twice and both ti ...

Just exchange it. This issue seems to happen randomly. Often enough, with the same firmware, one P3S is fine but the other is not.
2016-6-19
Use props
huntcool001
lvl.3

Hong Kong

Ste_Photo Posted at 2016-6-20 02:44

You don't need to cancel it. This issue happens randomly. Maybe 10%?

Just test it after you receive the unit, if it doesn't fly over 150 meters  in crowded urban area, or 300 meters in open field, you can legitimately claim it's defective and ask the seller to replace it, if you don't mind waiting for a few days.

2016-6-19
Use props
huntcool001
lvl.3

Hong Kong

Sundance Kid Posted at 2016-6-20 03:02
Well, it's been well over a month now and DJI still refuses to accept responsibility or admit anyt ...

Just send it back for repair, it takes you zero fees and probably two weeks, in US.
2016-6-19
Use props
DJI-Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft
Hong Kong

Hello kinjomakato, the firmware has nothing to do with range. If your drone loses signal and activates RTH in a short distance no matter where it flies, it is recommended to get in touch with our EU support. Here is the contact information: 联系欧洲.JPG
2016-6-19
Use props
Sundance Kid
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1207 ft
United States

huntcool001@gma Posted at 2016-6-19 21:50
Just send it back for repair, it takes you zero fees and probably two weeks, in US.

Not true!
Besides, I downgraded my firmware and everything works well now, proving this is not a "hardware issue".
2016-6-20
Use props
kinjomakato
lvl.1

Spain

DJI-Paladin Posted at 2016-6-20 14:51
Hello kinjomakato, the firmware has nothing to do with range. If your drone loses signal and activat ...

Hello DJI-Paladin, may be you need to investigate more about this problem because it has to do with firmware. My P3S flight perfect with no video issues before updating. Firmware is the only change. Same location, same conditions, several trials and always same result: video signal lost in less than 50m.

2016-6-20
Use props
kinjomakato
lvl.1

Spain

Sundance Kid Posted at 2016-6-20 23:08
Not true!
Besides, I downgraded my firmware and everything works well now, proving this is not a " ...

Hello Sundance Kid, could you please tell us how to downgrade?
2016-6-20
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

kinjomakato Posted at 2016-6-20 23:59
Hello DJI-Paladin, may be you need to investigate more about this problem because it has to do wit ...

I'm sorry you are experiencing this, when you lose video signal does the signal bars remain full or do they drop as well?
2016-6-20
Use props
kinjomakato
lvl.1

Spain

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-6-21 00:14
I'm sorry you are experiencing this, when you lose video signal does the signal bars remain full o ...

I am not sure if the signal bars remain full but control signal remains ok and the phantom can be flight ok. Only problem is video signal.
I will check signal bars on the next flight.
2016-6-20
Use props
Ste_Photo
lvl.2
Flight distance : 389839 ft
United Kingdom

huntcool001@gma Posted at 2016-6-20 03:48
You don't need to cancel it. This issue happens randomly. Maybe 10%?

Decided I won't cancel, it's due to be delivered today or tomorrow. UK distance selling regulations mean I can return it if there's an issue. I tend to fair well with technology so will give it a go, just need to find a nice open space in Manchester to practise...
2016-6-20
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

This sounds very much like the problem that affected the P4, and perhaps the P3 range. What was seen on the display screen was artifacts, with screen going blank for a second or two and reporting 'Weak Signal'. Although the signal bars themselves remained good. The resolution for this was an update to DJI GO 2.8.3 from 2.8.2 (this was causing problem).
2016-6-21
Use props
edu0939
lvl.1

United Kingdom

I have had the same problem. I assume it was a nasty chip that was causing that inside. Some of P3S's have that problem, some not. I was lucky enough to return it to Amazon after 1 week. Will buy another one, hopefully better.
2016-6-21
Use props
baanlanna
New

Belgium

Ok I'm stunned...

Last week I took my P3S bord for a first flight in the neighbourhood. Video feed got disconnected after 50m or so. Next I tried at my parents home who live in a residential area bit with quite aome empty space behind the house. Was able to reach 150m. So I really thought there was something wrong with the bird as I thought I would get minimum 500m but up to a 1000m as stated on the box. Called the shop where I bought it, discussed on the phone and agreed I would bring in the drone next Friday. But today was beautifull weather and I really wanted to give it another try. Found a open farm space with no wifi interference or powerlines what so ever....I was shocked ! The phantom was able to fly 1.2km with great video feed and with good RC connection !!

So I'm extremely happy that the bird finally reacts as it should and this cleary proves that wifi interference, powerlines and so on have a terrible influence on the phantom usage. For your info, i have the latest dji app for ios and I use firmware 1.6.8.

So from now on I won't be flying near places where I know there might be problems. It'll be places where I have great range and plenty of space to fly.

2016-6-21
Use props
kinjomakato
lvl.1

Spain

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-6-21 00:14
I'm sorry you are experiencing this, when you lose video signal does the signal bars remain full o ...

Hello DJI-Ken, rc signal full and phantom under control but no video signal.
When will the new firmware be available? Can you just publish a previous one as an update for those who are having this same problem?
Any suggestion?
Thank you
2016-6-22
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

baanlanna@gmail Posted at 2016-6-22 03:05
Ok I'm stunned...

Last week I took my P3S bord for a first flight in the neighbourhood. Video feed  ...

Those are typical results. As the Phantom 3 Standard and 4k operate on WiFi and in a neighborhood there's TONS or 2.4 WiFi modems/routers and that's what will reduce range.

So in the terms of your aircraft, I'd say it's functioning normally.
2016-6-22
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

kinjomakato Posted at 2016-6-22 21:59
Hello DJI-Ken, rc signal full and phantom under control but no video signal.
When will the new fir ...

There's the RC signal which will most always have more signal strength than the video.
can you try again and look at the WiFi signal bars and not the RC strength.
2016-6-22
Use props
kinjomakato
lvl.1

Spain

dJI-ken: no video signal with almost full bars.
And I also detected another problem. When  trying to activate the folow me mode, my p3s says that satellite signal is too weak with 9 satellites!!!!
I will insist once more, please release a firmware update.
image.png
image.png
2016-6-23
Use props
hihi_shrek
lvl.2

Hong Kong

baanlanna@gmail Posted at 2016-6-22 03:05
Ok I'm stunned...

Last week I took my P3S bord for a first flight in the neighbourhood. Video feed  ...

I really hope that you solved the problem, and interference really plays a great part in this. Well.. how am I going to find an interference free area in Hong Kong? Everywhere is so built up.
2016-6-23
Use props
sunnyc123abc
New

kinjomakato Posted at 2016-6-23 23:11
And I also detected another problem. When  trying to ...

I'm having the exact same problems. Bought the phantom 3 4K last week and exchanged it with the same problems. Please fix it. I thought the range would be better.
2016-6-23
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

kinjomakato Posted at 2016-6-24 01:11
And I also detected another problem. When  trying to ...

OK, here's some answers for you:

'dJI-ken: no video signal with almost full bars.'

Yes, the full bars represent the signal strength as rreceived at the aircraft, they have no relation to what is coming back in the other direction, which is the video signal. It is the return signal that fails first.

'And I also detected another problem. When  trying to activate the folow me mode, my p3s says that satellite signal is too weak with 9 satellites!!!!'

Yes, again you do not understand what is going on. The RC unit is reporting that it is getting a weak GPS signal from your phone/tablet connected to the RC unit, the display on-screen is showing the number of satellites that the aircraft is seeing. This is because phones/tablets have crappy GPS receivers, while the one in the aircraft is a much better receiver. Oh, and by the way, 9 satellites is pretty poor, a good number is 12 or greater.

'I will insist once more, please release a firmware update.'

You can insist all you like, it will make no difference, if there is an issue, DGI will release a firmware update when they are good and ready, they don't adhere to your timetable.

2016-6-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules