Still Camera Settings
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
dsbarker
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1564911 ft
Germany

Should I use a ND 8 filter for still photos on my P3A or take still photos without the ND filter? Thanks for any and all assistance
2016-6-24
Use props
Flight Raptor
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3014675 ft
  • >>>
United States

Sorry nobody responded.  Technically, you don't need one for still photos as you can adjust the exposure appropriately with the camera settings..  HOWEVER, I certainly see much better photos with my ND4 or ND8 on.....because I use the filter for video, it is a bit inconvenient to bring the quadcopter down, exchange the filter, and then put the quadcopter back up to take the still photo.

I will say, however, this does lend itself to personal preference.  Some folks on here feel the ND filters put too much yellow/orange hue on the photo that is a challenge to remove post-processing.  I, for one, like the look of still photos I take when I have my ND filter on.
2016-6-24
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>

I only use a filter when out in the sun, but it's whatever your personal preference is.
2016-6-24
Use props
Airspace Explor
lvl.3
United States

Are you asking if an ND filter should be used for still photos but not for video taken in the same lighting conditions?

This tutorial may address some of your questions:
2016-6-24
Use props
dsbarker
lvl.2
Germany

Flight Raptor Posted at 2016-6-24 18:11
Sorry nobody responded.  Technically, you don't need one for still photos as you can adjust the expo ...

Thank you! I agree it is a pain to change the filter.
2016-6-24
Use props
dsbarker
lvl.2
Germany

Airspace Explor Posted at 2016-6-24 19:31
Are you asking if an ND filter should be used for still photos but not for video taken in the same l ...

This guy is good - Thank you
2016-6-24
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

ND filters are used for video to get slower shutter speeds but unless you have a particular reason to want slow shutter speeds for still photography, there is no need to use an ND filter for still photography.
They definitely won't improve anything.
2016-6-24
Use props
AG0N-Gary
Second Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

Purists will tell you, though, that you always want the fewest and best quality glass between your sensor and the subject.  This is because every filter, lens, etc., you put on adds a very small amount of distortion to the image.  Serious photogs don't even use a UV filter for many things.  All that said, the camera on the P3 isn't good enough for it to be noticeable to most people, and most people aren't good enough to see it if it is there.
2016-6-24
Use props
rodger
Second Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

Turn on your Histogram and Zebras. Doing that will help you determine your exposure. Zebra's on will show the highlights and the Histogram you want the peaks basically in the center. Peaks right bright, peaks left dark.
2016-6-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules